Homosexual teacher outed and fired from a Catholic school

news.yahoo.com/gay-catholic-school-teacher-ohio-fights-firing-165345910.html

We are only in the initial stages of what will be an onslaught of lawsuits brought against churches by homosexuals. This lady lied when she agreed to abide by Catholic standards, but we all know what the outcome will be.

I think these ones are generally upheld though because of the breech of contract. I know what you mean though. I was kind of surprised at the quantity of pro-school postings, though, considering the source of the publication. We usually get beat up a lot worse than that.

I’m fine with the school’s actions here, but really, she does have a point: who the heck takes an obituary and does that? What kind of underhanded, mean-spirited nonsense is that?

District Says Teacher Was Not Fired For Sexual Orientation

She was let go because she had been in a homosexual relationship not because of her sexual orientation.

District Says Teacher Was Not Fired For Sexual Orientation

She was let go because she had been in a homosexual relationship not because of her sexual orientation.

Each person who teaches in a Catholic school is expected to honor the teaching of the Catholic Church. She is yet another example of a person who worked in a Catholic school but did not honor the teachings. This joins the recent news of the assistant principal in a Cincinnati Catholic high school blogging under his own name his support of gay marriage, he was fired. And, a female teacher in a Dayton Catholic school who was not married and fired for getting pregnant. These stories are from Ohio but certainly there are similar stories around the country. Isn’t there an issue here for the Church? If you teach in a Catholic school you are there for more than just a job. The Church needs to find ways to weed out those people who don’t really want to help educate a Catholic child in the Truths of the Church but they are just there for the convenience of the job. I have a friend who is a beloved teacher in a Catholic elementary school. Both she and her husband were raised Catholic but now they HATE the Church and make no bones about it. Should she really be teaching there? Just like this latest instance, a woman living in a SS relationship is teaching in a Catholic school. Obviously, she has this one, major place she disagrees with the faith. She should not be teaching in a Catholic school where the main purpose is to tea h Catholic children, it is a hypocrisy for her, or the others, to continue. Our bishops need to find ways to screen out these types of people before they ever begin.

news.yahoo.com/gay-catholic-school-teacher-ohio-fights-firing-165345910.html

The Diocese of Columbus would not comment directly about the firing, but it said school employees can’t go against teachings of the church.

I don’t agree with what has happened here, I mean, what about teachers who have been divorced and re-married and have not recieved an annulment for their previous marriage? if it’s based on the above quote, wouldn’t those teachers also have to be let go? because we see that as an adulterous relationship.

Im sure there are many teachers in Catholic schools who are sinning with their lifestyle that have not also been let go.

I might need more information with this one, I mean if it were a case of her teaching the kids something contrary to our beleifs, like teaching that her lifestyle was something other than wrong, than I would understand and agree, but not with my understanding of the situation at the moment.

We don’t have the attitude of “fire all sinners from our employment” we wouldn’t have any employee’s as we are all sinners, it would be whether they are teaching their sins as something other than wrong, than you would be in justified grounds to fire them as what they are teaching would be contrary to our beliefs and whats morally right, therefore it would be right to fire her, but as it is, or what I understand of it, I think it’s wrong to have fired her.

Thank you for reading
Josh

It’s a matter of public knowledge and appearance. With those instances of divorced and remarried, it’s very difficult for the school to know that’s the case without directly asking, which would be a breach of federal law, and get the school in even more trouble. In this instance, through the woman’s actions, it became public knowledge that she was living a life style in opposition to Church teachings. It doesn’t really make sense to allow someone to teach at a Catholic school if they are living a lifestyle in opposition to Catholic Teaching. To be honest, if the other teachers were divorced and remarried, and it became unavoidably public, then I think they should be removed form their positions.

I support the school on this one for the reasons I listed above.

What about other sinners? are all sinners not allowed to teach at Catholic Schools? because arn’t we all considered sinners?

What does her lifestyle have to do with teaching things such as mathematics or physics?

If she was teaching the students something contrary to Catholic teaching or something wrong, for example, the sexual acts of homosexuality being anything other than morally wrong and sinful, than I would completely agree and understand with whats happened, but as it is, they have fired her for being a sinner or living a sinful lifestyle, which I don’t understand, because arn’t we all sinners?

I support the school on this one for the reasons I listed above.

Could you please provide me with a link to the reasons you listed, as I cannot find any other post from you on this thread, thank you.

Thank you for reading
Josh

What is underhanded is to teach at the Catholic school and live a life contrary to Catholic teaching. It is patently dishonest. The students and parents deserve better.

The problem is that the teacher’s is a highly public sin, one which is readily visible to the people who interact with that teacher outside of the work environment. By employing that teacher, knowing that she was in a homosexual relationship, it would appear that the Church was acknowledging and giving Her okay to that lifestyle.

Could you please provide me with a link to the reasons you listed, as I cannot find any other post from you on this thread, thank you.

Thank you for reading
Josh

I meant what I listed in that paragraph, specifically, the highly public nature of that sin; and the requirement to avoid appearances of support for sinful lifestyles.

The school is a religious institution, and has the right to enforce policies related to the right practice of its religious convictions. Beyond this, the teacher violated her contract with the school when she engaged in a homosexual relationship, and as such forfeited her job of her own will. The school just didn’t learn about the contract breach until later, and took action once they discovered it. The same thing would happen for a breach of contract in any other situation; what makes this one so special?

Manifest and public sin is a scandal. That is terribly wrong.

I am surprised you are asking this question. Sins do not carry the same weight. Some sins are even punishable by law like murder and divorce (in some countries).

Sexual sins carry more weight, St Paul said this. And sins related to behaviour like sexual sins can easily affect/influence others, especially young people/students.

What does her lifestyle have to do with teaching things such as mathematics or physics?

Because the lifestyle could have negative effects on the students.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=777256

I’m curious about this: If a non-Roman Catholic Christian who works at a RC school talks about attending their worship service or is “outed” as being Baptist (or what have you) in a public forum would they face dismissal since this it could essentially be construed as denial that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church?

No, the Catholic church does not see someone attending a different church the same morally as someone having an active homosexual relationship.

The teacher signed a morality clause. She knew what that meant. She was fired because of her immoral relationship, not because she is a homosexual. And not because she isn’t Catholic.

No, because the contract does not specify that they have to be Catholic to teach. If, on the other hand, they were actively disseminating anti-Catholic materials in class, or publicly engaging in anti-Catholic activities, I believe they could be canned for that.

So is Schism or Heresy considered a lesser offense than Homosexual acts? I’m just having a problem understanding why someone who’s sin is publicly outed like having a same sex partner is any different than someone who’s different sin is publicly outed? What if the non Catholic used to be Catholic? Would that person be removed?

I think this is different from the we are all sinners stuff. This is for a couple of reasons. First, her sins became public. Second, her sin is continuing and their is no sign of repentance. Therefore, she is living in a state of mortal sin, and appears to have no intention of repentance. We do not want such a person teaching our students.

In the case of divorce/remarriage, it would be very difficult for one to find out if there was an annulment or not. Those matters are generally private and generally stay that way. If it would become public however, and there was no repentance, than I think they should be removed from their position.

If any teacher in a Catholic school is involved in a mortal sin, and it becomes public, and therefore, has an influence on the children they are teaching, and they do not show repentance, they should be removed.

Finally, to leave a teacher in this type of situation in their position, would be equivalent to the Church saying that they support these activities. This would give cause to great scandal in the Church which is something that should be avoided.

Well, I haven’t read the contract. So, I don’t know what was included in it. :shrug:

But since the teacher signed it, I would presume she read it. So she would have known that announcing her relationship could lead to termination.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.