homosexuality

I don’t know what the consensus is on homosexuality. Do people believe you are just born that way? Or do certain events in the childhood lead to this? There must be something you can do because culpability is involved. If someone was born that way I would think they would not be culpable. :shrug:

I believe the cause of homosexuality varies in each instance. Sometimes you may be born with same-sex attraction. Other times you may develop it in your early childhood due to certain events.

Enough is Enough. The Catholic Church and Pope Francis has said those with SSA are to be treated with dignity and respect. The Catcheism cleary states that SSA attraction is not a choice. However where we draw the line is if their should be SSA relationships. The church says no, Marriage is between one man and one women, and outside of that sex is wrong. However people with SSA can be open and accepted by the Church. Pope Francis says their is a special place in the church for individuals with SSA, including priesthood.

Imagine if their was no place for SSA people. You’re basically excommunicating them and saying they are sinning if they do not live alone for the rest of their life. That would be terrible if I were in there shoes and heard that. I personally disagree with the church and think that SSA can have a healthy relationship with those of the same gender.

This is incosistent with church teachings and Pope Francis’s view on the matter.

Enough is Enough. The Catholic Church and Pope Francis has said those with SSA are to be treated with dignity and respect. The Catcheism cleary states that SSA attraction is not a choice. However where we draw the line is if their should be SSA relationships. The church says no, Marriage is between one man and one women, and outside of that sex is wrong. However people with SSA can be open and accepted by the Church. Pope Francis says their is a special place in the church for individuals with SSA, including priesthood.

Imagine if their was no place for SSA people. You’re basically excommunicating them and saying they are sinning if they do not live alone for the rest of their life. That would be terrible if I were in there shoes and heard that. I personally disagree with the church and think that SSA can have a healthy relationship with those of the same gender.

Do you have proof of this? I sincerely doubt the highest position in the Church advocated for Homosexual Clergy. But I could be wrong.

I got my information from Americans for Truth about Homosexuality.

On whether or not Homosexuals shoud be permitted to become priests Pope Francis responded

“On that occasion I said this: If a person is gay and seeks out the Lord and is willing, who am I to judge that person?..A person once asked me, in a provocative manner, if I approved of homosexuality. I replied with another question: ‘Tell me: when God looks at a gay person, does he endorse the existence of this person with love, or reject and condemn this person?’ We must always consider the person. Here we enter into the mystery of the human being.

“I prefer that homosexuals come to confession, that they stay close to the Lord, and that we pray all together,” Francis also says, in a possible reference to the Church’s historical stance that same-sex relationships are sinful. “You can advise them to pray, show goodwill, show them the way, and accompany them along it.”

My apologies I misread the comment

People are not born with homosexuality. It develops during childhood. Even if people were born as homosexuals, their culpability would in no wise be mitigated because it is not the attractions that are sinful (even though they are “objectively disordered”), but the homosexual acts that are sinful (which are “intrinsically disordered”). People choose to commit homosexual acts and are therefore culpable for their actions.

The Church has said that homosexuals are barred from the priesthood. The Holy Father has not changed that.

There is a place for homosexuals. They are to remain chaste and lead lives of holiness. Many people, heterosexual & homosexual, have the single life as their vocation. This doesn’t meant they have to be alone. They can have friends and family. They can also have relationships with the same gender, as long as it is not a sexual relationship.

No, it’s very consistent with Church teaching.

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that “homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered.” They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

Explain his quotes then. The Pope is infalliable and head of the church. You’re comments are directly contracdicting him.

Irrespective of whether or not same-sex attraction is a choice, there is no way to **pursue a same- sex relationship **without sinning. Full stop.

While we are to treat persons having such an orientation with the utmost respect, no amount of sympathy can make sin nonsinful.

ICXC NIKA

“Vatican experts were quick to point out that Francis was not suggesting that the priests or anyone else should act on their homosexual tendencies, which the church considers a sin”

This is from the interview where the Pope said that.

Times are changing sir. Pope Francis has expressed openness to allowing civil unions. I urge you to respect his infalliability and teaching on church law. I do, and i know he will make it not a sin

References?

Your last sentence suggests an incomplete understanding of the Church (not that anybody understands it fully). If something is a sin, not even the Pope can make it nonsin.

ICXC NIKA

I think it is the other way around, It appears to me that the Pope is directly contradicting the teachings of the Church.

True. But were debating here whether ssa people can become priests. He clearely stated yes. And of course the Vatican experts are going to try and cover their asses. give me a quote from Pope Francis

True. But were debating here whether ssa people can become priests. He clearely stated yes. And of course the Vatican experts are going to try and cover their asses. give me a quote from Pope Francis

The church also says the Bible is free from error. (Which states homosexuality is a sin, and subsequently so does the catechism, however the catechism itself isn’t infallible).

There are also requirements for what the pope says the be infallible, and from reading the interview, not all of the requirements were met.

Again, I could be wrong.

The pope is the head of the Chrch sir. He has the final say on all church law, and rules. If you disagree with a issue it could be a venial sin. Please show some respect to the Pope.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.