Honeymooning In Italy

A.M.D.G.

Thanks be to God, I’ve recently become engaged (well 2 months ago) and will be getting married on May 17th. A bit quick we know, but all the classes will be completed and we already have the church, a reception hall, and my fiance has her dress (okay…I know they’re still a million more things to do).

So, now I’m trying to see if I can get an Italian Honeymoon put together that we will both love. It’d be about 15 nights long and we know we want to see Venice, Siena, Florence, Assisi, and a bit of Rome (we’ve both been there before)…but I’ve got questions for those more experienced.

1. I’ve heard of the Pope blessing newly weds and we’d love to take part…any idea how this works and where I would go to…register for it?

2. I’ve seen lots of less than impressive European beaches, has anyone been to any in Italy that they would reccommend or should I just go the Florida once I get back?

3. What sites would anyone reccommend that we make sure not to miss in North/Central Italy? Especially things with religious or historical significance.

Anyway, just thought I’d put this out here. Thanks in advanced for any assistance.

1. Check the Vatican website. I don’t know if this is done at the Wednesday audience, not sure about that.

2. IMHO, a beach is a beach. I would HIGHLY recommend going to Capri. It’s beautiful and perfect for Honeymooners! We loved it. Since you have some time I would recommend spending the night. Also, the Almafi Coast is the most beautiful thing. Sounds like you’re staying north, so that’s just a suggestion.

3. Historical would be Milan or just in general the Lakes are very nice. Lake Garda is where all the Germans vacation and Lake Como is the fancy lake where the wealthy are. Como is prettier with better Villas. Also,north of Venice is Trieste. It’s beautiful and well worth it if you have the time.

If you want a great place for dishes, PM me. There’s a great town called Nove where all the Italian pottery is made. It’s industrial, so not pretty, but if you want a Williams Sonoma or Lenox dishes for a fraction of the price this is the place. We lived in Vicenza so if you want directions let me know. SO worth it. Although getting it back might be a trick.

JPII gave individual blessings to newlyweds sitting in the special section for newlyweds-- the Sposi Novelli. Benedict VXI does not. He has chosen to give individual blessings to those who are handicapped or have disabilities at his Wed audience.

They still have the Sposi Novelli section, and it is in the front. And, the Pope does come down and shake hands with those on the front row (so, get there early and get on the front row).

Although it’s not required, almost everyone will be in their bridal garb-- and some Swiss Guards have been known to turn away those not in wedding attire-- women in their dresses and veils and men in a suit. If they let you in without wedding attire, you will be put in the back of the section, the ones in their bridal gowns get in the front. Wear your wedding attire!

There is a special ticket for this section, you have to have been married within 8 weeks of the audience you plan to attend, and you must have your wedding certificate or proof of Catholic marriage.

Contact the North American College and they can assist you in getting the tickets for that section-- you need a letter from your prirest. That’s what we did, and then we went to the College when we got to Rome. It’s near the Trevi Fountain. Here’s their website, go to the Visitor’s Office page:

pnac.org/

pnac.org/general/visiting_vatican.htm

Also, on the actual day of the audience, go super early. There will be crowds of people going through the security-- don’t stand in line… walk up to a Guard (not all of them are in the fancy costumes, many are dressed in secret service looking attire… suits, glasses, earpieces). Anyway, go up to the front and say “Sposi Novelli” and they’ll take you through to a special section. That’s what we did, anyway.

I also recommend you get tickets to take the Scavi Tour. Start now, they only allow 100 people in per day for that tour so plan ahead, you have to have tickets. North American College can help you with that too, or you can get tickets from the Vatican:

vatican.va/roman_curia/institutions_connected/uffscavi/documents/rc_ic_uffscavi_doc_gen-information_20040112_en.html

Santa Susanna, the American parish in Rome, is also very helpful:

www.santasusanna.org

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.