Hong Kong protests: Thousands defy calls to go home

It’s going to be interesting to see where this is heading bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-29418179

So far it’s 56 injured and 89 arrested, but the size of the protests look massive.

Now THAT’S what I call a “protest”!

Let us hope and pray that the government does not choose a Tiananmen square type crackdown of these democracy protestors. I admire their courage. There should be stronger words from our leaders to China on respecting human rights and freedom of protest. Communism is evil.

Ishii

Yes, the photos are amazing; there are a LOT of people involved in this. I also hope China keeps its cool here.

Thats one big protest and peaceful, they pick up their own trash too. I give them much credit, and Wednseday is a holiday, the protests are expected to escalate. The communist party spokeswomen said last night they expect no intervention for its internal issue. Sounded like a clear warning to me.

“This is already much bigger than anything the Beijing or Hong Kong authorities expected,” said Larry Diamond, a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University who studies democratic development. “They have no strategy for peacefully defusing it, because that would require negotiations, and I don’t think President Xi Jinping will allow that. Now, if he yields, he will look weak, something he clearly detests.”

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2014%2F09%2F30%2Fworld%2Fasia%2Fhong-kong-protests-present-a-challenge-to-xi-jinpings-rule.html&ei=YLgqVJP4Hoe8yQTvkoLQBw&usg=AFQjCNH9oITxggTD4qpx4XqATUrUAz1waQ&sig2=HfRHtDyp0f9JkweyN0-9bQ

China outside of this area controls the media coverage. They can’t do this here because of the preponderance of coverage centrally located.

Hopefully the secular atheist dictatorship of China will be able to refrain a huge massacre like they have routinely been doing since 1949.

Amen, but they are sticking to the plan that works…

Without sacrifice, we cannot have civil disobedience," media tycoon Jimmy Lai told the South China Morning Post newspaper. “The most important thing is that we use love and peace,” he said. “The only power we have is moral power and if we become violent, we will lose this moral power.”

Cardinal Joseph Zen, 82, the former Catholic bishop of Hong Kong, also spent time with the demonstrators. “It’s high time that we really showed that we want to be free and not to be slaves. … We must unite together,” he told Reuters.

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fstory%2Fnews%2Fworld%2F2014%2F09%2F28%2Fhong-kong-occupy-protests%2F16378965%2F&ei=sLwqVI_aDMybyATJwoLwCA&usg=AFQjCNGlJUxIYvywnLdowM60FnlQ1DIdyA&sig2=vkWyu8Aj6Jk4EhssXb51qg

It may be a small point, but it was very revealing for me to see video of the protesters carefully gathering up the trash from these huge crowds. Not only are they non-violent, they are being very respectful while they politely insist on the democratic options they were promised in 1997 when the British lease on Hong Kong ended.

This compares very favorably to the Occupy demonstrations in the US, just as the Japanese earthquake and tsunami lacked the widespread looting we saw in New Orleans after the floods there. Americans could learn some serious lessons from Asian cultures, just as Martin Luther King drew on the example of Ghandi.

The protesters will supposedly be out in force on Oct 1 which is a holiday, so I believe the big question now is, Will police behave differently than they have on the mainland due to Hong Kong’s unique status, or will they use the aggressive tactics we’ve seen in the past.

I agree! :thumbsup: Manners and/or self-restraint interfere with our need for self-expression, which is a point of honor with us. :rolleyes: Too bad we don’t have more interesting stuff to say.

Here are some things that could only happen in a Hong Kong protest: bbc.in/1wWey2L

So the protesters are not leaving, and they have conducted themselves well. But the President who they want to step down isn’t leaving either. Sounds like unresolved conflict and a possible issue yet to come.

Student leaders of pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong say that if the territory’s leader doesn’t resign by Thursday they will step up their actions, including occupying several important government buildings.
Lester Shum said at a news conference on Wednesday that the student leaders would welcome an opportunity to speak with a Chinese central government official, but not Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying, insisting he must step down.
Shum is the vice secretary of the Hong Kong Federation of Students, which has played a key role in organising the street protests that started Friday.
Thousands of residents have occupied several key areas of Hong Kong to press for greater electoral reforms after Beijing decided in August to screen candidates for the territory’s first direct election scheduled for 2017.
Pro-democracy protesters heckled Hong Kong’s under-fire leader when he attended a flag-raising ceremony on China’s National Day on Wednesday, ahead of the largest protests seen yet this week.

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/hongkong/11132900/Hong-Kong-protesters-vow-to-occupy-government-buildings.html

Tomorrow (Thursday) protesters say they’ll begin occupying buildings bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-29448338

I think that would be the final straw with the communist regime. Just as I believe these students are serious, I believe the communist are also. They are standing up, I give em that.

In Hong Kong people of all ages have now joined the protests, but those who remember taking to the streets in 1989 to voice their support for students in Tiananmen Square, also remember that there were times when those students, too, seemed to be winning and the authorities retreating.

And they remember the disastrous final outcome.

In Chinese Communist Party decision-making one consideration trumps all others. Whatever the party judges to be a threat to its grip on power will be crushed, no matter what the other consequences.

China’s censors and internet watchdogs have stepped up measures to prevent news of Hong Kong’s show of defiant people power reaching citizens on the mainland.

If the party comes to see this struggle over the future of Hong Kong as a struggle over the future of China itself, there are perilous times ahead.

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCEQqQIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbc.ca%2Fnews%2Fworld%2Fhong-kong-protests-echoes-of-tiananmen-in-today-s-demonstrations-1.2783174&ei=_04sVNzeM4b4yATq_4DwAQ&usg=AFQjCNEgIyvMPVwcgwV_kfuYnKmDdv8VBQ&sig2=d3cEAntzXh3IEVeUQroEbg

Forgot exactly where I saw it, but yesterday I watched an interview with a political analyst who sounded pretty certain that the protesters in Hong Kong would win, because China doesn’t want to face an economic backlash for using too much force against the demonstrators.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.