Honolulu police: Outlaw sex with prostitutes

[Honolulu police: Outlaw sex with prostitutes](“Honolulu police: Outlaw sex with prostitutes”)

*Honolulu police told a key Hawaii lawmaker Tuesday that they’re OK with making it expressly illegal for officers to have sex with prostitutes, as long as undercover officers can still say they’ll have sex so they can make arrests.

Honolulu police spokeswoman Teresa Bell told The Associated Press on Tuesday that officers have never been allowed to have sex with prostitutes under departmental rules, so making it illegal won’t change how officers operate.*
sfgate.com/news/crime/article/Honolulu-police-Outlaw-sex-with-prostitutes-5349135.php

The state legislature is writing stricter laws regarding prostitution. In the House, police won an exemption, after lobbying hard. Their objection is that it would interfere with sting operations.

However, in the Senate, lawmakers voiced outrage at the exemption.

I think that this would be a great law. Prostitution should never be tolerated in any way, shape, or form. It must be completely and totally banned throughout the entire world.

So . . . the police officers are getting paid to do their job, and part of their job is having sex with prostitutes, so they’re getting paid to have sex? What does that make them?

Good luck on that.

Well, isn’t prostitution already illegal throughout the United States except for Las Vegas?

Yes, except without checking, I believe you are incorrect about Las Vegas; it is another county in Nevada where prostitution is legal. Anyway, what effect has the nationwide prohibition had on the “world’s oldest profession?” Not much.

Like I said, good luck with that.

Oh okay. Yeah I believe you’re right about the Las Vegas thing.

Also, why do they call it the world’s oldest profession? I mean, how do we know that prostitution has existed since the beginning of mankind. I know a sin is not a profession but the oldest sin would be disobeying God and the second oldest sin would be murder since Cain murdered Abel. Or perhaps the second oldest sin would be envy since Cain murdered Abel out of envy and the envy is what caused him to murder his brother. :shrug:

If it’s your job, if you get paid to do it, it’s a profession. Doesn’t matter if it’s a sin or not. So, yes, prostitution is a profession. If I were ranking it, I’d say prostitution is the oldest profession probably followed by murder for hire and teaching.

I don’t know the history of the comment that prostitution is the “world’s oldest profession,” but it may have originally been a snarky comment about human nature. I don’t necessarily believe that it was the world’s oldest profession (that would more likely be farming or hunting); that’s why I put it in quotation marks.

There are some communities that have programs in place to entrap, bust, and shame the “johns” who solicit sex from undercover female cops. You can see these sting operations on the “Cops” TV series from time to time. I would like to see statistics from these communities on how successful these programs are in reducing prostitution.

The cops are trying to amend it so they can still have sex with prostitutes while on duty.

You know…for the community…or whatever. :rolleyes:

thats what Im thinking too!! they can claim it interferes with sting operation all they want, blah blah blah…but it probably boils down to (some) cops wanting to be legally able to sleep with prostitutes, and nothing to do with regular police operations. LOL

I did find it strange the police are lobbying for this, I would have thought the big business communities would lobby to keep it legal, as Im sure they like to be able to give certain ‘perks’ to certain employees, etc., BUt I guess they will do it whether its legal or not.

In all honesty I support the decriminalization of adult prostitution as freedom of economic exchange.

However while it is illegal it must be illegal for all, not some.

I imagine they are requesting it because would be too easy to out a undercover officer simply by trying to have sex with him.

[quote=mikekle] Quote:

Originally Posted by Geist

The cops are trying to amend it so they can still have sex with prostitutes while on duty.

You know…for the community…or whatever.

thats what Im thinking too!! they can claim it interferes with sting operation all they want, blah blah blah…but it probably boils down to (some) cops wanting to be legally able to sleep with prostitutes, and nothing to do with regular police operations. LOL

I did find it strange the police are lobbying for this, I would have thought the big business communities would lobby to keep it legal, as Im sure they like to be able to give certain ‘perks’ to certain employees, etc., BUt I guess they will do it whether its legal or not.
[/quote]

Oh they’ll be quite involved with a sting alright, but not the kind they think they’re referring to…

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

How may prostitution stings could actually be going on though? LOL I mean, they arrest these prostitutes and hours later, they are out and back doing the same thing…Is it really worth tax money to have ‘sting operations’ for something that is going to continue and continue no matter what they do? Not in my opinion.

Even if you did that, it would still occur illegally. At least when brothels are legal they are able to be regulated and the workers have some protections. If prostitution were completely banned, it would just force all the workers out onto the streets where it’s far more dangerous for them.

Ultimately I think prostitution is a social problem which needs to be addressed by tackling poverty, etc - removing the things which cause women to choose prostitution in the first place. Most women who do it are poor, desperate, drug-addicted, etc. I don’t believe there’s anything to be gained by making criminals of such people, or forcing them to work in more dangerous conditions.

Prostitution is not legal in Clark County Nevada which is where Las Vegas is. Prostitution is basically legal in the state of Nevada except the counties that have made it illegal, which are Clark, Washoe, Lincoln and Douglas, and the city of Reno has made it illegal also. Eight counties have licensed brothels in Nevada. The county nearest to Las Vegas with legal prostitution is Nye County IIRC.

I agree, everyone claims they are out to help the prostitutes, but then go and call the police…?? Ultimately, we need to get people to NOT be calling police in these situations, but instead, call another agency that could better help these people. All police will do is arrest and take to the county jail, that is NOT what those people need.

Making it legal and regulating it still doesn’t prevent unregulated establishments.

Most women aren’t prostitutes by choice. They come into the trade by force, fraud or coercian. Some police departments have changed how they handle prostitution because of this fact.

You are right, some prostitutes are held like slaves, only allowed to work, and earn for those holding them, this happens alot to the very young, like 10-15 yr old females. I find it completely ridiculous in this day and age, someone can kidnap a kid that young, and force them to work as prostitutes for years and years, and usually they dont get caught!! GEEZ, what kind of world are we living in?!

I think there is a big difference in the types of prostitutes working, there are those that are forced into it, and then there are those women that usually work in areas like Las Vegas, LA, NYC, and other such areas, some of these women make 6 figures a month, they have very high end clients and are generally not held hostage by anyone, while it is wrong morally, this is pretty much a victimless crime, no one is being harmed, the guy gets what they want, and the woman makes off with a large amount of money…what right does law enforcement have in trying to tell them how and what they can do for money?

There needs to be a distinction made between the 2 types of prostitutes, usually police will have raids and go after any and all involved in such things, but really, IMO, police should not even be involved in this sort of thing, it should be a separate agency, medical personal, counselors, etc. Arresting someone and taking them to jail over prostitution is not helping anyone, seems to really only benefit the county or city that collects the fine money.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.