Honour thy parents?

How exactly does one honour parents? Does it have anything to do with following everything they say?

I’m 22, so I’m of course legally beyond their control. The issues I have with my parents are regarding my career choices. They appear to hold the belief that they know exactly what my interests are, and therefore I should be doing what they want me to do.

I of course have no interest in the career choices they suggest to me, and don’t want to spend years of my life in something I don’t want to do, my options they don’t like and my mum doesn’t even talk to me sometimes because of it.

What should I do?

Well, I’ll assume that you don’t plan on being a stripper. Or some other immoral career. Not an abortionist or anything like that… RIGHT? right…

Otherwise, if mom and dad would like to go to work for you everyday to fulfil the obligation of a job that you hate… so you can earn a check… Great…

Otherwise, as a recruiter, I can tell when a person hates what they do. And I suggest, if you can find good work doing what you want. GO FOR IT!

Honor thy parents… as far as I know. does NOT mean you do what they say for the rest or you life!

Haha no…nothing like that at all! Just my decision to join the military full time, they aren’t too pleased about it.

OOOHHHH!

Well, I’ll tell you!

I actually understand that.

I think it’s a very HONORABLE job.

But they are scared! And with good reason. WE keep sending our soldiers home in boxes.

One of my dearest friends… a pilot for the Marines. I know his parents were less than thrilled. But did support him.

We buried him just before he turned 31. It’s devistating. I remember getting via one of his military buddies a funny write up from a female officer. What she wrote was so sweet. I was so saddened to learn that she was killed not even a year later.

And quite frankly, I personally am thrilled that al MY friends are home! It’s selfish. But I just don’t want them there.

OBVIOUSLY, more come home living and breathing than don’t. But I get the fear.

You SURE there’s nothing else you want to do?

LOL…I wish you the best. And if you do end up serving our Country… God Bless you, and Protect you your every step!

Well I’m currently in the reserves and enjoying it a lot, I would love to serve full time in a few years (after I finish my studies). I’m from Australia, so we haven’t suffered so badly like the USA in terms of casualties, after all compared to the number of troops sent by the USA, we have very few. By the time I’m ready for that kind of service, the war in Afghanistan will be over, and it will be something new.

Im pretty sure obama announced that the war in the middle east is over, or something along those lines about a week ago. however even though its 'over', they still have lots of work to do.

[quote="BlueShadow123, post:6, topic:211775"]
Im pretty sure obama announced that the war in the middle east is over, or something along those lines about a week ago. however even though its 'over', they still have lots of work to do.

[/quote]

Wow.

Perhaps you might want to watch or read the news a little more frequently and a little more carefully.

I recommend reading the entire Catechism section on the fourth commandment to help you understand the full context of this commandment.

But this paragraph speaks directly to your question:

2230 When they become adults, children have the right and duty to choose their profession and state of life. They should assume their new responsibilities within a trusting relationship with their parents, willingly asking and receiving their advice and counsel. Parents should be careful not to exert pressure on their children either in the choice of a profession or in that of a spouse. This necessary restraint does not prevent them - quite the contrary from giving their children judicious advice, particularly when they are planning to start a family.

[quote="1ke, post:8, topic:211775"]
I recommend reading the entire Catechism section on the fourth commandment to help you understand the full context of this commandment.

But this paragraph speaks directly to your question:

2230 When they become adults, children have the right and duty to choose their profession and state of life. They should assume their new responsibilities within a trusting relationship with their parents, willingly asking and receiving their advice and counsel. Parents should be careful not to exert pressure on their children either in the choice of a profession or in that of a spouse. This necessary restraint does not prevent them - quite the contrary from giving their children judicious advice, particularly when they are planning to start a family.

[/quote]

I think this sums it up really well. After you become an adult, your parents transition to an advisory role. They cannot control what you do any more, but they can give their opinions and help you make decisions. The final decision on anything, though, is with the adult child now.
I think it is great you want to serve your country, but I can understand why your parents are afraid. Going into the military is a sacrifice not just for the individual but for their families as well. However, if no one made that sacrifice the country be defenseless! I am deeply grateful for anyone willing to make that choice.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.