Hooray!

Good news, everyone. I started to get worried about my vocation, since I learned that normally if you don't have any experience serving in the Mass in some form, the Bishop will send you back to your diocese for a year to do so, and he won't let you enter Seminary until you do. I've always wanted to be an altar server, but not only was it an option for me, but I'm a bit intimidated by it, as it is a very big responsibility, so I was too afraid to ask my parents about it. However, for some reason on the car ride home, my dad started talking about it all of the sudden, telling me he didn't think it was fair that I was never given the chance to, and that since I wanted to be a Priest, if I wanted to he would find some way to make it happen. This thread doesn't really have a lot of value to it, but I felt the need to spread my joy with somebody, and it might as well be strangers on the internet. :D

And yes, I completely copied my other thread from the other forum. I just realized that this fit with "vocations" so I decided to use this on here as well. :D

Good for you, and for your Dad! Good Luck!

wonderful! A great sign from the Holy Spirit.

I’m sure you will do fine as a server. yes, they have a lot of responsibilioty, but you have a big incentive to learn and are familiar with the parts of the Mass. Some of the younger boys may not really have focused on the Mass until they become servers (they start in 4th or 5th grade here).

[quote="Mrs_Sally, post:3, topic:259667"]
wonderful! A great sign from the Holy Spirit.

I'm sure you will do fine as a server. yes, they have a lot of responsibilioty, but you have a big incentive to learn and are familiar with the parts of the Mass. Some of the younger boys may not really have focused on the Mass until they become servers (they start in 4th or 5th grade here).

[/quote]

I hope so. For the entire Mass the first few times I probably won't pay too much attention to the actual Mass because I'll be afraid that I'll mess something up. However, after a few times I'll have it down.

Yes, it saddens me when there are servers who don't realize their great gift God has given them. Especially when they don't even appreciate the gift of the Mass! The ones at my local parish are horrible. They wear sunglasses, they wear regular clothing under their robes,, they sit around in the Church looking like they would be more excited to go to their hanging, they have no respect for the Mass or the Church whatsoever, the list goes on and on. Hopefully I'll have a good influence and I'll be able to turn this unacceptable behavior around.

Attaboy (you and Dad) :thumbsup:

[quote="ATeutonicKnight, post:4, topic:259667"]
I hope so. For the entire Mass the first few times I probably won't pay too much attention to the actual Mass because I'll be afraid that I'll mess something up. However, after a few times I'll have it down.

Yes, it saddens me when there are servers who don't realize their great gift God has given them. Especially when they don't even appreciate the gift of the Mass! The ones at my local parish are horrible. They wear sunglasses, they wear regular clothing under their robes,, they sit around in the Church looking like they would be more excited to go to their hanging, they have no respect for the Mass or the Church whatsoever, the list goes on and on. Hopefully I'll have a good influence and I'll be able to turn this unacceptable behavior around.

[/quote]

You can have a tremendous impact on those who serve without proper reverence just by showing proper reverence yourself. The other servers will certainly take notice and begin to take their service more seriously. I am so thankful for your "yes"to God, and your father's encouragement!

[quote="Philothea01, post:6, topic:259667"]
You can have a tremendous impact on those who serve without proper reverence just by showing proper reverence yourself. The other servers will certainly take notice and begin to take their service more seriously. I am so thankful for your "yes"to God, and your father's encouragement!

[/quote]

Yes, this is what I was planning. Simply be reverent, show that there's something more to the Mass than listening to a guy talk, and showing how great it is to serve at Mass. Hopefully I can show them how to properly dress when I start as well. Shorts, crocks and a t-shirt doesn't cut it, unfortunately. I believe khaki pants with a belt, dress shoes and a button-down shirt will be more proper.

Well, this makes two of us, then. :D

[quote="ATeutonicKnight, post:7, topic:259667"]
Yes, this is what I was planning. Simply be reverent, show that there's something more to the Mass than listening to a guy talk, and showing how great it is to serve at Mass. Hopefully I can show them how to properly dress when I start as well. Shorts, crocks and a t-shirt doesn't cut it, unfortunately. I believe khaki pants with a belt, dress shoes and a button-down shirt will be more proper.

Well, this makes two of us, then. :D

[/quote]

Vada retro Satana.

Cool sig :thumbsup:

That's Great that you have your dad's support. Start paying attention to what the alter servers do. Try to model yourself after the one's you find most reverent but also are not as noticable to the congregation. They do what they are suppose to do without becoming the focal point.:thumbsup::):thumbsup:

Great. I hope you make a good server!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.