Hope for the Episcopal Church

In the coming year we will elect a new Presiding Bishop as Bishop Schori is not running for reelection -there is a chance that a middle of the road candidate might be elected-if not and the ultra liberal wing fully takes over the CHurch ( say bishop Glasspool ) all hope for reconciliation with the Anglican Church in North America dissolves-litigation continues regarding properties and a fine old Church will enter its final days

I have heard recently that a merger with the ELCA is also a possiblity

would apreciate comments and thoughts

The ELCA does have confessional Lutheran churches within it’s umbrella - and some of the districts have behaved themselves when churches left. There’s been a few lawsuits, but mostly it’s been ok. The bad news for any merger is that the ELCA is hungry for money - and I think that more Lutheran churches would bolt if they saw the litigious Episcopal church hold sway in any new merger. Already, the ELCA is putting the screws down by making churches amend the by-laws to make leaving more difficult, and even some sort-of-liberal churches don’t like it.

How can a merger be a possibility if Episcopal are technically Anglicans outside England? How does that work?

P.S. If I’m wrong about Episcopals please correct me.

To the best of my knowledge, the Episcopal Church and the Church of England are, like the United States and England, wholly separate bodies with a shared culture.

And a shared, but not identical religious history. And a shared membership in the Anglican Communion, as autocephalous and autonomous Churches…

None of which would preclude a merger of the ELCA and the Episcopal Church.

GKC

When is the election for a new presiding bishop?

The ELCA and the TEC are already in communion with each other, aren’t they? Perhaps if they merged, the new entity could drop “Lutheran” from their name.

So if they merge with the Lutheran Church in America the Episcopalian Church’s communion with the rest of the Anglican Communion would drop?

Hope you guys are able to stave off the liberals. :thumbsup:

Not necessarily. As Stilldreamn noted, the Episcopal Church and the ELCA are already in communion with one another. If they formerly merged, in some fashion, that itself would not affect the membership of the new entity in the formal Anglican Communion, necessarily. The Communion would have to take some formal action to remove them or the new entity would have to take steps to depart.

GKC

Indeed. The united churches of North and South India, for instance, where Anglican churches merged with Congregationalists, Presbyterians, Methodists and others, are provinces of the Anglican Communion. If the Church of England merges with the Methodist Church of Great Britain in some way, which is predictable within the next decade or two, the Church of England will almost certainly remain within the Anglican Communion :wink:

The Church of England is the Anglican communion.

That’s an interesting statement: what do you mean? My understanding is that the Church of England is one of 30-odd provinces, and one of 40-odd churches, in the Communion.

Incidentally, I think I may have erred in stating that the united Indian churches are provinces of the Communion. It may be more proper to say that they are member of the Communion but not provinces of it. What the difference is … escapes me.

I had the Indian Churches in my mind as examples. But not in sufficient detail as to mention them.

GKC

As to para 1, yes. The CoE is the mother Church of the Anglican offspring, many of whom are formally independent and self-governing member Churches of the Anglican Communion. The CoE is one of those, and the Primate of the CoE (Cantaur), in addition to his day job, is the titular head of the formal Anglican Communion

GKC

While obviously I disagree with Episcopalianism, I’ve never taken any pleasure in watching lefty moonbats figuratively burn the denomination to the ground. Frankly, I’m not optimistic as the progressives have an increased share in a diminished market.

Several day jobs: Archbishop of Canterbury and Metropolitan, Primate of All England, President of General Synod, Privy Counsellor, lord spiritual, among others. And member of the Parliamentary Commission on Banking Standards, poor soul.

I mean the Church of England is where the Anglican communion was born.

Yep.

GKC

I take small pleasure in the train wreck myself.

GKC

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.