Horoscope

In class my professor had an amusing jokey horoscope sheet for jobs. Aries to be a pro-wrestler, etc… and so I mentioned to read mine [now I’m kicking myself for it]. The usual bleh that could apply to anyone with my sign- you’re special, can change the world, etc.

The problem is, I’ve always believed my writing * to be special and possibly world changing, etc. We went on with the lecture for the day, and I found myself wanting to write just in general. Assuming that it was a response to the horoscope [even if I think it was more to do with the lecture- it’s a graphic novels class and we’re reading Watchmen] I didn’t write anything that day. And still, I’m hesitant to open up my files. I don’t believe in horoscopes, and I know they’re vague enough that they can apply to anyone, but this is bothering me. As if by writing what I believe to be really good/special work, I’m going along with the horoscope.

And I know I’m scrupulous before anyone mentions this… as I’ve posted in many threads, I do have ocd in several forms.*

it takes a lot more than a horoscope to make a good writer. If you want to be a writer, write. that’s it. Not to write because of a horoscope would be as meaningless as to take up writing because of it, where you had no inclination to do so before.

I agree with Puzzleannie. Let’s just say that the horoscope was true. A horoscope does not make one a good writer or even want to write. A writer is an artist and is driven by the love of the art that we call language, not by the movement of the stars.

Write and be happy that you have that gift.

Fraternally,

JR :slight_smile:

[even if I think it was more to do with the lecture- it’s a graphic novels class and we’re reading Watchmen]

Graphic novels? You mean comic books?

Is there any way that you could excuse yourself from such an assignment and be given an alternative assignment based on the fact that it disagrees with your faith? :shrug::confused: Surely your teacher would be kind enough to issue you an alternative assignment.

I’m not sure if I follow you. If my horoscope said that I’m a good son, should that stop me from being a good son just in case I’m delving into the occult by being a good son?

There’s a difference between the two- graphic novels are longer, more story oriented than a $0.25 comic book :stuck_out_tongue:

Is there any way that you could excuse yourself from such an assignment and be given an alternative assignment based on the fact that it disagrees with your faith? :shrug::confused: Surely your teacher would be kind enough to issue you an alternative assignment.

It wasn’t an assignment, it was just a humourous horoscope that was read for laughs before class.

I’m not sure if I follow you. If my horoscope said that I’m a good son, should that stop me from being a good son just in case I’m delving into the occult by being a good son?

Yeah, this is rather close to the mindset. And put that way, it does seem silly, doesn’t it?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.