Horoscopes or zodiac?

Hey I was just wondering if it’s wrong or sinful (from a Catholic perspective) to read a horoscope or my zodiac sign? Sometimes I think it can be fun wondering if it’ll come true or not, but I’m not 100% sure if this is wrong or not. I don’t neccessarily put a lot of faith or trust into it, but when I read that I’ll win the lottery or fall in love or something like that, it’s kind of fun to me.

Anyways if it’s wrong though, I’ll definitely stop!
Thanks!:smiley:

Welcome to the Forum. :slight_smile:

This, from the Catechism of the Catholic Church, gives you the answer:

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Well, FCEGM’s post pretty much says it all and I completely concur. It’s just wrong.

There are a lot of ancient practices that have been repackaged in modern society as fun or intriguing harmless things. But they can be spiritually dangerous and offensive to God. (Yoga is another practice that Christians should have no part of, yet it has been presented to unsuspecting Christians as something that is good for you. The physical aspect may feel good, the spiritual aspect is a slap in the face to Jesus Christ as yoga is rooted in Hindu worship of other gods. But I digress.) Anyhow, now that you have seen the CCC for yourself, I’m hoping that you will resist the temptation to look up your horoscope. I’m always one to recommend the Sacrament of Reconcilliation if you have sinned, so I will do so now. However, since it appears you did not know any better, you would not be in a state of mortal sin over this matter. However, now you do know better so your culpability would change if you keep on with it.

I know there will be some Catholic posters who will disagree with me and chalk it all up to harmless fun. But it only takes a "harmless’ little thing like this for the devil to get a toehold. Once you get hooked on horoscopes, you could then start watching the psychics on TV and getting further from the Truth of Christ (devil now getting a foothold), then you could go a step further and get into New Age religion, seances, ouija boards, etc. I say this only with love and respect and am not implying that you are spiritually weak and would go that far… but it does happen. Too often.

Blessings, Prayer_Warrior

Here is the thing, if you read a horoscope in your local newspaper because you think that it’s so stupid that it’s entertaining, then it’s not sinful. But once you start taking it at least a bit seriously, then a problem is being born.

I personally wouldn’t tempt it because while you may not be serious about them, you may start subconsciously actually following them. And what if by some chance the predictions happen? Will you it not be even more tempting?

While it doesn’t have to be sinful, I would still avoid them. Now, did you say that you are actually trying to see if whether it comes true or not?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.