Horoscopes, Zodiac, and Astrological signs

Hello everyone. It’s been a while since I last posted here. I have a question about something prevalent in our society, and I want a Catholic perspective. So far a lot of people I know friends and family members have been getting into horoscopes. I was just never a believer in it and still not an avid believer in it but lately I picked up a sort of an illustrated mini-break down of Catholic catechism that I have and it said zodiac signs are a form of divination condemned by the Catholic Church. But is that accurate? What is the Catholic Church’s position on the Zodiac?

It’s superstition. The end. :shrug:

It is part of the occult. The secret knowlage gained with those things are supplied by demons, who lie. Demons can get you to do whatever they want if they have you obeying the command of horoscopes.

Being an Aries, horoscopes occasionally tell me to go out and get busy. Are you suggesting that God is actually telling me to loaf around inside my house in a stupor? :confused:

No. I did not say God is always saying the opposie, I just think it is sort of stupid to do whatever a horoscope says. Why put your life, your decisions, to that? makes no sense. I am just saying what the church offically says, which is what the op asked.

Well, you know you really could word things better. Of course horoscopes can be silly, but to ascribe to them the power you just did in your earlier post isn’t anywhere less superstitious. :shrug:

That’s about it. I doubt “demons” have anything to do with it.
The zodiac is just constellations you can see in the sky.
Horoscopes are made up by people for fun, or for weak minded people to believe.

That’s about it. I doubt “demons” have anything to do with it.
The zodiac is just constellations you can see in the sky.
Horoscopes are made up by people for fun, or for weak minded people to believe.

They are adivination because they attempt to either predict the future or a person’s personality through reading stars. Also a person who usually reads horoscopes tends to put their faith and belief in what the horoscope says instead of God which is also wrong. Our life should not be directed by what stars say but by God.

I also agree they ate superstition. I get a kick out the fact that I am a cancer and I supposedly do not get along with Sagittarius and guess what…my best friends since infancy are all Sagittarius!! Just to mention one incongruency I found. Don’t trusthoroscopes.

I think they’re fun when they’re right and fun when they’re wrong actually. :stuck_out_tongue: I love it when I read about Aries being all headstrong and go-getting. That’s exactly how I am.

What’s funny though is that they usually depict my type as this guy when I’m more like this guy. :stuck_out_tongue:

All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone. (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 2116)

Hahahahaha that is funny!:D. They always depict cancers as sentimental and emotional and sensitive. Nothing like me. I think the only thing that fits me from cancer is that I like my home and be with family but the rest is not me Lol. I am also not supposed to get along with Aries and I am supposed to get along with Scorpio. Both my grandmother and one of my aunts are Aries and my other aunt is Scorpio. I have never got along with my Scorpioaunt but my aAries aunt is like a sister to my and my grandmother is my second mother. Go figure.

The horoscope in the daily paper or online even say “for entertainment purposes only”

They are akin to a fortune cookie

Having a natal chart done, etc etc is a form of divination that is forbidden by the Church.

While many may just brush it off as harmless silly stuff the Church takes it seriously enough to put in the Catechism with some pretty major things.

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

Conjuring the dead, recourse to satan and demons, power over time and history?

The Church views it as more than a superstition or something to entertain oneself. Stay away.

I have always wondered why you sign is not your conception anyway. I mean what does it really have to do with when you were taken from the womb. Some people can be taken from the womb at 21 weeks now, that is a 5 month window of birth!?

Astrology is condemned by God because, Like numerology, the Bible says that God doesn’t like us to know His private plans. It’s akin to idolatry because you are placing your faith in divination before that of God.

Although God does give us free will, much of our lives are predestined by God. Everything you do in life follows God’s plan, but you do have moral choice. It’s hard to explain, but basically astrology reveals some of God’s creation, but you have free will to decide how you want to relate to it. You can change the time line in a minor way.

Make no mistake about it, astrology can be powerful. It’s not just the fun and games daily newspaper horoscope! Professional astrologers dig far more deeply into astrology than does the daily horoscope. For example, you may think that the newspaper is wrong about your being a Cancer, because you don’t fit the description, but there are many other astrological influences involved than just your cancer sun sign.

If you are smart, you will stay away from astrology because it is VERY powerful information, and therefore you will surely become addicted to it. There is no doubt that you could get valuable information from it, but that’s God’s property, and not yours. Besides, is your understanding of creation better than God’s? You may get some momentary relief on Earth, but lose your soul to hell! The Love of God is so much more important than knowledge of His creation!

A young Buddhist Monk asked his teacher for the magic to walk on water so that he could cross the river. The old monk informed his student that he may be able to cross the river but he may still be unable to be enlightened!

Love and Peace,
John

Superstitious nonsense.

Let’s see, we believe that Moses parted the Red sea, Jesus walked on water, it rained frogs, but we can’t believe that astrology exists even though it was also written about in the Bible.

How is this astrology??? They are miracles of God, not miracles of self.

It’s pseudoscience and superstition. What more can one say.

Supposedly astrology is a method used to watch God’s creation unfold, and God’s creation is truly a miracle! Therefore, astrology is not a miracle of self. I made the analogy that miracles of the Bible are literal, just as astrology is literal.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.