Horowitz: One chart exposes the lie behind universal lockdowns associated with Corona Virus

. . . . “This simple fact makes a world of difference both to our targeted response to the virus and also to the degree of panic that should and should not be infused into society so as not to keep people away from hospitals when they are experiencing other potentially dangerous medical conditions” . . .

The average age of people dying WITH corona Virus in the US?
About 82 years old.

The average age of people dying WITHOUT corona Virus in the US?
About 82 years old (actually closer to 77% if you go back a couple of years).

Horowitz: One chart exposes the lie behind universal lockdowns

Daniel Horowitz · May 14, 2020 Conservative Review

What is the true infection fatality rate of COVID-19, broken down by age and health status? This is a simple question for which the CDC should have a clear answer by now, accompanied by a readable chart – a chart showing everyone’s demographic risk assessment so that we can better target our infection mitigation efforts. Yet it’s the one thing our government hasn’t done. Wonder why?

They didn’t test kids under 20, but their fatality rate is likely near zero.

Moreover, several weeks later, another research group in the Netherlands did a second serology test that broke down even more groups and came up with almost identical results:

. . . As you can see, the death rate doesn’t even climb above .1% until you reach over 70, with a steep and dangerous growth of risk over 75 and 80. However, it’s important to remember that even those death rates might need to be cut in half for those outside nursing homes, given that half the deaths in most countries are in senior care facilities.

Why has our government not put out a similar chart? How many Americans even know that children have near-zero threat and anyone under 60 has next to no risk of dying from the virus? Even those between 60 and 69 are at much lower risk than anything the government has suggested and that the level of panic indicates. The World Health Organization wrongly pegged the overall death rate for all ages at 3.4% on average. This simple fact makes a world of difference both to our targeted response to the virus and also to the degree of panic that should and should not be infused into society so as not to keep people away from hospitals when they are experiencing other potentially dangerous medical conditions. . . .

1/2 . . .

8 Likes

2/2 . . . .

. . . But even this chart doesn’t tell the full story. The virus lopsidedly targets people with particular underlying conditions, such as heart disease and diabetes. It is simply criminal that, with the tens of billions of dollars in “emergency” funding, the CDC has not conducted or published the results of a survey of 20,000 or so Americans to determine the exact number of infections and the fatality rate broken down by each health and age status. To most Americans, based on what the government and media have been putting out, it’s all the same and even babies will all die, as if there is a 50% fatality rate. Most people I know think their infants are in danger from COVID-19, even though the threat of flu and SIDS is much more pervasive in infants than that of coronavirus.

Hence, the fatality rates from the Netherlands are likely much lower for healthy people. . . .

In most states, well over 90% of those who died of COVID-19 had serious underlying conditions. But it’s even more than that. We now know that geography played a large role. 54% of all U.S. deaths were in the 100 counties in or within 100 miles of NYC.

Moreover, roughly half of all deaths outside New York were in nursing homes. So, if you actually took the numerator of COVID-19 deaths, which are calculated very liberally, and limited them to the risk of those outside the NYC area and outside nursing homes, what would the fatality rate be? Likely much lower, even for those with underlying conditions, much less those without them.

Consequently, we destroyed our entire country and sacked the Constitution all for a very narrow and specific problem that required a precise and balanced approach. Yet two months into this mistake, our government won’t even put out the simple math demonstrating this obvious point. As one commentator so aptly observed, “Homogenous intervention in the face of heterogenous risk is just cruelty passed off as equality.”

3 Likes

People seem to know what to do. Most are responsible. They are not going to get talked into harming friends, family, neighbor or self. At this point people can get blue in the face trying and they wont

1 Like

Maximus1 . .

They are not going to get talked into harming friends, family, neighbor or self.

But nobody needs to harm friends, family, neighbor or self.

With the numbers above you can actually target who be those at most risk.

. . . . “This simple fact makes a world of difference both to our targeted response to the virus and also to the degree of panic that should and should not be infused into society so as not to keep people away from hospitals when they are experiencing other potentially dangerous medical conditions” . . .

Emphasis mine.

Then people can make better decisions about THEMSELVES if they want to “hibernate” or not.

That is pretty good news don’t you think?

2 Likes

5 Likes

I saw a poll where 53% of Republicans view wearing masks positively and 73% of Democrats.
I would say the messaging is a disservice to Republicans but Republicans don’t care what I think.
I don’t buy the figures promoting going back to normal. This is a pandemic and this virus is not predictable. Our assumptions are based upon living as we do. Live the way we saw those in that Michigan bar were acting, and all bets are off.
The thing about creatures that live to old age have in common, is they avoid tips on surviving into old age by the impetuous and experimental.

2 Likes

How many Covid deaths were there 4 months ago?
You add 2019 months to a virus that was virtually non existent to inflate the numbers for influenza.
How about a chart comparing only the last 4 months.

1 Like

Maximus1 . . .

Live the way we saw those in that Michigan bar were acting, and all bets are off.

So what do you think?

Do you think YOU (your politicians) need to make those decisions for these bar patron guys?

Or do you think they ought to make their own decisions for themselves?

1 Like

Maximus1 . . .

How about a chart comparing only the last 4 months.

Go ahead and put it up Maximus1. I am not stopping you.

And if you adjust for age, you will find influenza is more dangerous for some age groups.

Which is bad news if you are exposed to influenza.
Just like it was bad news last year.
And the year before.
And the year before that.

1 Like

In a pandemic, the decision is a public one.
Just like in WW2, LIGHTS OUT! No fireworks displays for people needing to feel their freedom.
Lives are at stake. What those people did was selfish and unacceptable

Age groups why? To pitt age groups against each other. Or are older people like 8/10ths of a human? Age is irrelevant because exposure and infection spreads the virus indescriminately

1 Like

Maximus1 (on if people want to choise to go to the bar and hang out together without masks) . . . .

the decision is a public one.

No it’s not.

Lives are at stake.

So is freedom.

Lives are at stake going for a walk.

As bad as your guys want to tell everybody else what to do,
and speak for them,
they are not unlimited in their scope to do so.

What those people did was selfish and unacceptable

I think it was neutral and very acceptable. I’m fine with them making their own decisions.

1 Like

There is no freedom to risk spread of disease just to get drunk.
A Catholic would know that. It already happened in New Orleans.
Here is an issue where Catholic values mean something or it is irrelevant and we should stop kidding ourselves or wonder why the Churches are empty.
Ohhhh! They want to tell us what to do. No we don’t. We wish you valued other people’s lives and did it on your own

Maximus1 . . .

There is no freedom to risk spread of disease just to get drunk.

Number one. Who said they are getting drunk?
Number two. Do you really believe what you are saying!??
Did they risk “spread of disease” last year with influenza?
Or RSV? Or parainfluenza?
And if so, where were you then in principle here on CAF? (You can just post one or two of those links for me here.)

You don’t have to post them all.
Just a link or two of you here on CAF from last year decrying risk “spread of disease” last year from influenza.

Because otherwise my conclusions from your actions
are going to be saying to me
this is mere political opportunism.

But if you show me where you have decried this before with, say, influenza,
my conclusion will be
at least he is following his principles.

In which case I will have to argue against your principles instead of your politics.

If you do not show me you carrying out this IN PRINCIPLE, or just blow off my request, that’s fine too.

I’ll await your response and proceed as indicated.

1 Like

Subject matter of thread . . .

Horowitz: One chart exposes the lie behind universal lockdowns associated with Corona Virus

Maximus1 . . .

I saw a poll where 53% of Republicans view wearing masks positively and 73% of Democrats. . . .

1 Like

I get an influenza vaccine every year. I get my family to get one.
Covid 19 is different than influenza and you suggesting it is not does not change discernment at all.
Over 30 years people’s opinions about how they will deal with an objectively approaching hurricane is informative.
Those who prepare. Those who live objectively next door who laughs at the preparer and throws a hurricane party.
Most storms the party thrower is reinforced by surviving same as the preparing neighbor does.
" Look you have to work to remove your shutters."
" I played this whole time and I am playing today as you toil."
I have seen it go on for decades this way. I have seen one storm wash the unprepared scoffer and his party into oblivion. I guess they call Wisdom nothing more than clear observation and discernment over time.
In truth we teach our kids the story of Wisdom right from the story of the three little pigs. Two of three pigs had it all figured out and you couldn’t change their minds. The brick house pig didn’t bother I notice. I get it. Most people get the ," moral" of the story OBSERVING PIGS. BUT LIKE THE PIGS, DISCERNMENT IS A DIFFERENT THING SOMEHOW WHEN THEY ARE IN THE STORY.

I sure did.
I also watch video of Taiwan. Their people are conditioned to acceptance of the benefits of masks. They have prospered during Covid. And you will likely try to find a way to discredit their success.

Maximus1 . . . .

you suggesting it is not does not change discernment at all.

No I’m not.

I am asking you for your principles on this with regards to society.

I have no interest in you personally regarding your medical details (“I get an influenza vaccine every year.”).

You are not understanding the issue.

Please go back and re-read my posts on this.

1 Like

We are just beginning to see a spike in hospitalizations in FLA., GA and Texas.
It has been about 8 days and that is when you expect to see the results of reopening.
I see choices and consequence. Choices for some of us to die now.
I see no lasting benefit or promise of lasting benefit.
If they kept kids inside during the polio epidemic, less kids would have gotten the virus.
But they sent them out playing in summer and swimming. Perhaps they didn’t know better.

Maximus1 . . .

We are just beginning to see a spike in hospitalizations in FLA., GA and Texas.
It has been about 8 days and that is when you expect to see the results of reopening.

No we’re not. At least not in statistically significant numbers.

From Breitbart News . . .

. . . Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union,” Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said there has been no spike in coronavirus cases in the states that are reopening.

Host Jake Tapper asked, “Let me ask you, this is intrigue to me because some states have been reopening despite warnings of dire consequences from health experts, states like Georgia and Colorado began reopening weeks ago, and it seems at least so far that we have not seen a dramatic spike in new cases from those two states, Georgia and Colorado. What have you seen from those states? Is there any cause for concern that they reopened early? Is it still too early to tell? Or are they taking measures such as social distancing and masks that make this reopening work?”

Azar said, “Jake, I think your question is very insightful. We are seeing that in areas that are opening, we’re not seeing the spike in cases. We still see spikes in some areas that are, in fact, closed, very localized situations. . . .

Bold mine.

“Georgia and Colorado began reopening weeks ago”

Not “about 8 days” ago.

2 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.