Horror Movies A Sin, Seriously?

I just read on AAA that seeing a movie that is against catholic values can be a sin… You’ve got to be kidding.

I love horror movies and planned on going to see “Land Of The Dead” this weekend with some friends, and now i’m worried that I could be commiting a mortal sin.

I don’t see how supporting these kinds of movies are bad, they are entertainment, and the kind of entertainment I enjoy (you have your likes and dislikes ,and I have mine). I CANNOT go and see cartoons or cheesy family movies anymore, they just don’t interest me.

In the answer he didn’t really explain whether or not it was a sin, anyone have any input?

I feel that it would really be sinful if it caused you in some way to sin (eg, you start cussing because you heard it in a movie). However, if it is purely for entertainment and you know where to draw the line (some particularly gruesome movies or movies pointed at hurting others), then I think you will be ok. I read the same post and I think the apologist was simply saying that it is possible for horror movies to be sinful, but it seems to depend a lot on the individual.

Take me for example: I don’t listen to most rap any more due to my history of cussing. I stopped, but I know that I might inadvertently start again if I listen to vulgar rap songs. Thus, I don’t listen to them. It might be ok for you if you don’t have the same trouble I have. However, horror movies don’t cause me to want to kill others, so I don’t think that it is *necessarily *(there’s still the possibility, and it depends on the situation) sinful.

Eamon

I think that it would depend on the particular horror movies. I have often wondered why some Christian director did not use horror movies as a vehicle to evanglize. In horror movies there is no blurring of good and evil. Evil is always really horrible and cruel. Usually the brave, couragous kid lives.

I recently watched the horror movie Jeepers Creepers 1 and 2 with my sixteen year old son. Although it had the Nightmare on Elm street feel(which I don’t like), I was surprised that in both movies the value of sacrificing yourself for your friends was viewed as something positive. I wouldn’t advise the movie for everyone-too much killing for my taste. I like creepy movies better. Some of Shyamlan’s movies are good.
A movie like Seven though, with Brad Pitt-remember that?-seemed to be too over the top cruel for a Christian to watch. It exploited meaness for the sake of meaness and I was sorry that I wasted my time by watching it.:frowning:

LOL, ha. Has anyone ever seen “Dead Alive?” That is a GORE movie.

It depends on what you mean by “horror”.
If you want to get scared just pick up a history book, all those wars, murders, abortion, etc…thats HORROR and its REAL!!!

I came across this on I believe Tuesday in the Liturgy of the Hours:
Isaiah 33:14-15

On Zion sinners are in dread, trembling grips the impious: “Who of us can live with the consuming fire? who of us can live with the everlasting flames?” He who practices virtue and speaks honestly, who spurns what is gained by oppression, Brushing his hands free of contact with a bribe, stopping his ears lest he hear of bloodshed, closing his eyes lest he look on evil

I’m not sure that I am applying this verse correctly here, but it seems to me that we need to be careful with what we are putting in our minds.

So basically, it’s only sinful if it leads me into temptation or occasion to sin? Is that about right?

you got it :thumbsup:

now someone said if your eye causes you to sin pluck it out and if your hand causes you to sin cut it off, hmmmm, :hmmm: who was that again?

Oh yeah,

That was Jesus :smiley:

:rotfl: :rotfl:
:rotfl:

[quote=Steven87]So basically, it’s only sinful if it leads me into temptation or occasion to sin? Is that about right?
[/quote]

There are also some people who horror movies really bother. I like some horror movies but I find that some movies like Seven, SIlence of the Lambs and Cape Fear just remain in my head for days. They really bother me. So, I try to show some discernment. The old fashioned Nightmare on ElmStreet doesn’t do this to me. I think because Freddy Kruger, the ghoul from Jeepers Creepers and Micael Myers obviously don’t and can’t exist. Psychotic serial killers do.

The question might be more complicated then does it cause you to run out and want to hack your neighbor to bits. If the movies cause you to be less sensitive to others pain, or you find them really troubling…then don’t watch them. The positive side is that in this issue you can trust your own instincts and emotions.

Of course, my bday is Halloween so that might explain why I like horror movies.:slight_smile:

[quote=Catholic Dude]It depends on what you mean by “horror”.
If you want to get scared just pick up a history book, all those wars, murders, abortion, etc…thats HORROR and its REAL!!!
[/quote]

Yeah, I’m not into horror movies because my life has had enough real horror in it already. But I would not stand and point fingers at other people who differ from me.

-Liberian

I like what the late (great IMO) Christian singer Rich Mullins said one time.

He likes to watch violent movies, because he likes to see all that anger being expressed knowing that nobody was actually getting hurt.

The problem with horror movies is that they do not scare me. The only one I’ve seen in years is “The Village” and it was kind of interesting but it didn’t scare me at all except for once or twice I was annoyingly jolted by a sudden loud sound. For a horror movie, it was kind of lame.

Oh yeah, I also saw the Exorcist II. I didn’t find that very scary either, because I just can’t convince myself that this is not a production where we’re really just watching and hearing mechanical representations of information stored on plastic. I was, however, pleasantly surprised at the relatively positive way the Church and one faithful priest was portrayed. I came out of that movie with an increased respect for the Catholic Church, and appreciation for what it must like to be a priest or to be the Church and have to deal with the good and evil in the world.

Alan

My last week was a completely horror-movie one. I saw Cursed, House of Wax and Toolbox Murders. I have to recognize that it is difficult these days to see a really good horror movie. Lack of original scripts (nowadays 90% of the films are remakes), the same old clichés, very dark ambiences where you can not distinguish anything, bad acting, etc, etc. At least we have some great horror classics like The Exorcist, The Thing, Halloween, Night of the Living Dead, Friday the 13th. House of 1000 Corpses and Dawn of the Dead were also pretty disturbing. Lots of psycho-supernatural killers everywhere… The most somber ideas behind some of these films might be those of pointless violence, worthless human life, human sadism and cruelty. We have also many true based stories… Evil is too strong!

I guess I should chime in, since I was the one who made the original post on AAA.

I interpreted two messages from Fr. Serpa in his reply:

1. Don’t let the movie encourage you to sin. For example, suppose you view “The Italian Job” simply as an entertaining two hours about a gold heist, and realize that all characters involved have some serious moral failings. No matter how cool Mark Wahlberg and Charlize Theron make safe-cracking look, you realize that theft–particularly on that scale–is a serious sin. You’re fine.

On the other hand, if you think “Hey! I can do that…let’s see, there’s that cash box on the boss’ desk, and I know where he keeps the key…” Then we have a problem with the movie!

The upshot here: don’t let a movie fool you into thinking that what is a sin is actually okay.

1. Don’t encourage the movie producers. Every supporter of President Bush who refused to spend money to see “Fahrenheit 9/11” last year knows exactly what I mean here. We’re talking basic economics, market forces, supply and demand. If a movie called “The Child-Molesting Gay Abortionist” were to make $200 million while depicting the title character in a positive light, you can bet that soon after you would see more movies in that vein.

Also, as the old Watergate saying goes “Follow the money”. Imagine if Mel Gibson had put a disclaimer in front of “The Passion of the Christ” saying that all the movie’s profits would be donated to Planned Parenthood. You, as a good Catholic, would have to seriously reconsider whether supporting a movie about Jesus outweighs the funds Planned Parenthood would receive to help keep abortion legal.

At least, that’s what I understood from the Fr. Serpa’s reply.

Maybe I’m missing something?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.