Horus and Jesus

Really makes you think. Now granted. I never validated the story of hours, but if true, really doesn't make the story of Jesus seem all that unique

forexkong.com/2013/03/31/keep-an-open-mind-each-to-their-own/.

The difference being that the life of Christ has evidence to support it.

[quote="OxygenMan, post:2, topic:321095"]
The difference being that the life of Christ has evidence to support it.

[/quote]

pleaseconvinceme.com/2012/is-jesus-simply-a-retelling-of-the-horus-myth/

[quote="Superstar905, post:3, topic:321095"]
pleaseconvinceme.com/2012/is-jesus-simply-a-retelling-of-the-horus-myth/

[/quote]

This is just a link to a comparison of Jesus and Horus with an atheistic bent. It doesn't do anything to address the evidence we have about the life of Christ.

And to be honest with you, stories of Horus do not actually line up well with stories of Christ. What comparison could be drawn between Horus' conquest over Set? What of his father being dismembered? Of his being a solar deity? Horus was a tribal Egyptian god. Christ was the messiah predicted in the Hebrew scriptures.

[quote="OxygenMan, post:4, topic:321095"]
This is just a link to a comparison of Jesus and Horus with an atheistic bent. It doesn't do anything to address the evidence we have about the life of Christ.

And to be honest with you, stories of Horus do not actually line up well with stories of Christ. What comparison could be drawn between Horus' conquest over Set? What of his father being dismembered? Of his being a solar deity? Horus was a tribal Egyptian god. Christ was the messiah predicted in the Hebrew scriptures.

[/quote]

The second link actually rips apart any comparison between horus and Jesus

[quote="Superstar905, post:5, topic:321095"]
The second link actually rips apart any comparison between horus and Jesus

[/quote]

Ah, sorry about that. I kind of just skimmed over it. I had seen comparisons like this before, and Egyptian mythology is kind of a hobby of mine, so I always just thought they were such strange comparisons to make. :p

I will only add this to the others’ replies:

Christianity is not based on the uniqueness of the story of Jesus, but rather the truth of it.

I am unsure of the qualifications of the site entire but, this site has a section dedicated entirely to this subject (Horus itself is under number 5,I do not believe it is necessarily "orthodox") and has better citing than the "pleaseconvinceme" site seemed to have (I could be blind though).
There is also this, more specific, article.

Anyway I just thought these were salient to the topic.

beginningandend.com/jesus-copy-horus-mithras-dionysis-pagan-gods/
philvaz.com/apologetics/HORUS.htm#SUMMARY

Debunking Horus:
-Never have I heard he was born of a virgin
-His parents are either Geb and Nut or Osiris and Isis, depending on the myth
-Internal inconsistency. One minute the article says his mother is Mari, the next it says Isis
-In general, I’ve never heard any of the myths they claim exist for Horus
-So what about the coming of age ritual? ALL cultures have them.
-I don’t know that Ancient Egyptians had baptism. It’s always seemed a distinctly Christian thing

Other notes:
-From the Jesus side, no, Y and U weren’t interchangeable, I don’t think
-“el” isn’t Hebrew for “the” I think it means little-g god. “h-” is the. Also, -us is a suffix, not a prefix

Many religous traditions outside of Christianity have their own version of the “dying and rising God”. Paganism has a multitude of such stories…a god dying for one reason or another then rising again in one form or another…it’s a theme many faiths share.

[quote="Superstar905, post:1, topic:321095"]
Really makes you think. Now granted. I never validated the story of hours, but if true, really doesn't make the story of Jesus seem all that unique

forexkong.com/2013/03/31/keep-an-open-mind-each-to-their-own/.

[/quote]

The only thing that matters is whether or not such a story is true- not which came first. And I've found that many of these other stories usually read as flights of some yarn-spinner's fancy-whimsical, mythical, magical-rather than as the eye-witness accounts of people who come across as very sincere in their attempts to report experiences that absolutely bowled them over and changed their lives.

This was C.S. Lewis's final block to be removed before his conversion to Christianity, and Tolkien brought up the fact that it really just points to the fact that there is an underlying need through humanity for the events concerning Jesus to the point where all of humanity would write stories about it, also the reason why sacrifice to quell the wrath of the gods was so prevalent.

As a side note, Horus was not conceived of a virgin. His father Osiris could be considered undead, and his mother used magic to use wood to replace a certain... part necessary for conception... but that's not the same thing at all, is it?

The story was that Sutekh killed Osiris and cut him apart, spreading the pieces through the land. Osiris's wife, the goddess of magic Isis, searched for the pieces(very beautiful story, actually) and used her magic to bring him back to life. But of course, he was missing a certain aspect, and she replaced it with clay or wood, they conceived Horus, and that was it. But Osiris had died, and had to stay dead. So he was given the position of the god of the underworld(a much nicer place than the Greek version).

It's a beautiful love story. The Egyptians had really cool stories. I really like the concept of the battles between Ra and Apophis.

I think I’ve posted the link to this classic *Catholic Answers *tracts a hundred times in these forums, but it seems like, since there’s one born every minute, I’ll be posting it a hundred times more:

Is Catholicism Pagan?

The Logos is Universal, all of creation is imbued with the Truth, so that even throughout the fallen history of mankind there has been a glimmer of the Truth, though it is corrupted and made to fit certain cultural modes and mores. It was only through the covenant family of the Living God that the Truth was carried. All of creation groaned for redemption and so the Logos, the Word, was made flesh and dwelled amongst mankind, lived as a man of no great station, suffered was tortured and executed in a most ignominious fashion. There was no great epic surrounding Jesus, no magic. The Word made flesh, Jesus Christ rose again to conquer Death and Hell for the sake of all mankind, for all of creation. Love, love in all abundance flowing from deepness into deepness is the difference. True boundless love.

Jesus of Nazareth son of Mary was a verifiable and documented man of doubtless historicity. Whether or not he was the Christ, the Son of the Living God is a matter of faith. Horus was and is a myth, the comparison is and always has been devoid of any intellectuality.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.