Host desecration

I am really sorry for what I did. I really am. I desecrated the host while I was in my most sceptical phase, about a few months ago. I remember looking up about it afterwards on the internet, and found out that it is a really grave sin, and that I could get excommunicated. I am not sure if I knew that it was a grave sin beforehand, but I do remember actually feeling really sorry for what I have done for the first time in my life, after finding out that it was a grave sin. I don't know if my parish priest will be happy to accept to enrol me in RCIA once I decide to do so, if I confess about this to him. And not to mention I have to have the pope lift my excommunication. Can anyone please help me? Any advice?

Here is my background information: forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=10351507&postcount=5

Thank you for your time.

Can you explain how you desecrated the host?

Dear Ignatius,

I think you should ask this on the Ask an Apologist forum. I don't think it can be addressed by a layperson. forums.catholic.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=84

I will pray for you.

With sympathy,

[quote="JoelEatMilo, post:2, topic:314747"]
Can you explain how you desecrated the host?

[/quote]

Spoiler alert! Graphic description. Again, I am sorry for what I did.

From what I remember, I probably punctured it with a pen and or scissors. Not wanting to throw it away, I might have eaten it. I happened months ago, I can't really remember much, I was really emotional at that time. I am sorry for being offensive.

Thank you for your reply. I have asked the question on the AAA forum.

1. You have a misunderstanding about how excommunications are incurred and lifted. You are not excommunicated because you are not even Catholic; and even if you were, you don't have to go to the Pope to get an excommunication lifted. A Bishop or a priest authorized by him can do that.

2. You are remorseful for this sin. This is what is needed for absolution in the confessional. When you make your first confession, confess this sin expressing your sincere contrition. Jesus will welcome you with open arms.

3. You are not expected to be a saint when you enter RCIA. Remember, the church is a hospital for sinners. "Be not afraid" as Pope John Paul II said, and talk to your priest about this incident!

You confess it in the Sacrament of Reconciliation after you become Catholic.

[quote="ignatius77, post:1, topic:314747"]
I am really sorry for what I did. I really am. I desecrated the host while I was in my most sceptical phase, about a few months ago. I remember looking up about it afterwards on the internet, and found out that it is a really grave sin, and that I could get excommunicated. I am not sure if I knew that it was a grave sin beforehand, but I do remember actually feeling really sorry for what I have done for the first time in my life, after finding out that it was a grave sin. I don't know if my parish priest will be happy to accept to enrol me in RCIA once I decide to do so, if I confess about this to him. And not to mention I have to have the pope lift my excommunication. Can anyone please help me? Any advice?

Here is my background information: forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=10351507&postcount=5

Thank you for your time.

[/quote]

In the US, all priests have been given the authority from the pope to lift excommunication in Confession, however, since you aren't a member you really can't be excommunicated.

Thank you so much all of you for your reply. I understand now. I think it'll take me a while to have the courage to confess this matter to my priest. I have never confessed in my life, and this is one of the worst things to confess. I don't know what his reaction will be if I do.

[quote="ignatius77, post:9, topic:314747"]
Thank you so much all of you for your reply. I understand now. I think it'll take me a while to have the courage to confess this matter to my priest. I have never confessed in my life, and this is one of the worst things to confess. I don't know what his reaction will be if I do.

[/quote]

I know of three public desecrations in my diocese. It will be fine.

[quote="Warandpeace, post:10, topic:314747"]
I know of three public desecrations in my diocese. It will be fine.

[/quote]

Thank you for your support :)

[quote="ignatius77, post:11, topic:314747"]
Thank you for your support :)

[/quote]

No problem. I get nervous before Confession and I've been many times. Different priests do different things anyway. Some give good advice, some say little and absolve you, and I hear some can go on for days.

That said, if you don't know already, you shouldn't be taking Communion since you aren't yet part of the Church. It is also a sacrilege.

Friend, please don't be nervous to confess. Be more nervous to carry this around with you any longer than you have to! I promise you, your priest has heard just about everything under the sun in the confessional. A good friend of mine became a priest, and he once told me that, "I feel like there is nothing I haven't heard. And when it happens that I do hear something new or particularly egregious, my heart swells with joy to be witness to the reunion of the Father and His Prodigal Son." You will not be judged by your priest. You are going to be OK. You've got this. :thumbsup: My prayers are with you as you move forward on your road to Christ. :)

[/quote]

Well, if he's anything like my priest his reaction will be along the lines of,
"We'll ask God's forgiveness for this."
And he will absolve you, because you certainly sound like you are truly remorseful.
One word of advice - when he does absolve you, believe him. :)

[quote="IrishRush, post:14, topic:314747"]
Well, if he's anything like my priest his reaction will be along the lines of,
"We'll ask God's forgiveness for this."
And he will absolve you, because you certainly sound like you are truly remorseful.
One word of advice - when he does absolve you, believe him. :)

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

A quick question, have you been baptized?:)

[quote="Warandpeace, post:8, topic:314747"]
In the US, all priests have been given the authority from the pope to lift excommunication in Confession, however, since you aren't a member you really can't be excommunicated.

[/quote]

Actually, there are some sins that incur what we call latae sententiae excommunications, reserved to the Apostolic See, of which desecration of the Eucharist is one (Canon 1367). Direct violation of the seal of confession is another. If memory serves me correctly, there are seven or eight of these.

THAT SAID, I doubt very seriously the OP has incurred an excommunication of any sort.

Can. 1323 The following are not subject to a penalty when they have violated a law or precept:

Section 2. a person who without negligence was ignorant that he or she violated a law or precept; inadvertence and error are equivalent to ignorance;

It sounds to me like the OP did not know that what he was doing was wrong, and ignorance of the law, generally speaking, means one is not subject to the penalty. So, to the OP, just be at peace. Go to Confession and then keep moving forward in life.

[quote="Warandpeace, post:8, topic:314747"]
In the US, all priests have been given the authority from the pope to lift excommunication in Confession

[/quote]

Hmm... not all excommunications. In any case, I thought that this was done by the local ordinary, on a diocese-by-diocese basis...?

[/quote]

You have a contrite heart from what you are saying, you are remorseful for what you did, and you plan to never do it again. Therefore, I can tell you what the priest will say when you confess it "I absolve you of your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." "Your sins are forgiven, go in peace." And that will be the last time that it will ever be discussed.

To the OP, let me first say, congratulations on listening to your conscience. It happens frequently -- to all of us -- that we do wrong and then try to justify it away. You jumped over that hurdle.

But I'd like to also point your direction to a book called Eucharistic Miracles by Joan Carroll Cruz. It might help you strengthen your faith in the Eucharist (we all need that).

amazon.com/Eucharistic-Miracles-Joan-Carroll-Cruz/dp/0895553031

Welcome to the Church!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.