Host

The other day at mass when it was my turn to receive the Body of Our Lord, the priest had to go and get more hosts out of the tabernacle. When he returned, the host I received was a 1/4 of the bigger ones used my the priests in mass when they say "This is my body…"
I was wondering why this was put in with the other hosts?

I am guessing because it was not consumed, and as consecrated host, belongs in the tabernacle.

I don’t really understand your question. Why would you think it shouldn’t be?

=scc11;9802109]The other day at mass when it was my turn to receive the Body of Our Lord, the priest had to go and get more hosts out of the tabernacle. When he returned, the host I received was a 1/4 of the bigger ones used my the priests in mass when they say "This is my body…"
I was wondering why this was put in with the other hosts?

While unusual; it nevertheless is a valid practice.

The ENTIRE Christ is in: Every Particle of every consencrated Host and in Every drop of Consecrated Wine.

God Bless,
pat/PJM

Normally the priests and/or deacons consume the entire thing

Perhaps it was too much for whichever priest consecrated it - he had a dry mouth, for instance.
Or perhaps it was the Host from the monstrance, as they have to be changed every few weeks so they don’t go stale.
Why did it bother you? Did you think something sinister had been happening?

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church;
1377 The Eucharistic presence of Christ begins at the moment of the consecration and endures as long as the Eucharistic species subsist. Christ is present whole and entire in each of the species and whole and entire in each of their parts, in such a way that the breaking of the bread does not divide Christ.

The real presence is no longer there when the Eucharist loses the appearance of bread or wine.

Not necessarily, especially when using the large hosts, 6 inch diameter. Why is this a problem???

=Friar David, O.Carm;9802816]From the Catechism of the Catholic Church;
1377 The Eucharistic presence of Christ begins at the moment of the consecration and endures as long as the Eucharistic species subsist. Christ is present whole and entire in each of the species and whole and entire in each of their parts, in such a way that the breaking of the bread does not divide Christ.

The real presence is no longer there when the Eucharist loses the appearance of bread or wine.

THANKS for the assist:D

Continued Blessings,

pat /PJM

A few times, especially at daily mass, my priest sometimes has to go to the tabernacle and get some extra host. Sometimes he has to break apart one of the larger pieces in order to have enough. There is nothing wrong with this practice.

The large host used by the priest at our parish is scored to break into 16 pieces. The pieces of the large host not consumed by the priest and deacon go into the ciborium for general distribution, and in all the mixing-up, some of these may remain when the ciborium is replaced in the tabernacle. The pieces clearly have a distinctive shape, not round. Nothing sinister.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.