House Passes Legislation to Undo Last Minute Obama Regulations

townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2017/01/05/house-passes-legislation-to-undo-last-minute-obama-regulations-n2267452

*House Republicans passed legislation Wednesday that would give Congress the power to overturn dozens of recently enacted regulations with a single vote.

The Obama administration rammed through $44 billion worth of regulations since Donald Trump was elected in November—but this legislation would put an end to ‘midnight rules,’ or those rolled out in the last 60 legislative days of an outgoing administration.

“Because outgoing administrations are no longer accountable to the voters, they are much more prone to issue midnight regulations that fly in the face of the electoral mandate the voters just gave the new, incoming administration,” said House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte ahead of the vote. “Waves of midnight rules can also be very hard for Congress or a new administration to check adequately.”*

:hmmm:

I don’t approve of their doing this. 60 days? Why not make it 90? Why not make it 6 months? Is an outgoing administration any less accountable the last day of its term than it is the last year of its term?

This whole battle is getting petty. It’s middle school politics that’s making Paul Ryan, a man I respected until he fell into bed with Trump, and the rest of the federal Rs look like a ninnies.

Absolutely.

Speaker Paul Ryan did not appear on the campaign trail once with President-Elect Trump. I’d hardly call that being good bedfellows.

Presidents have used a loophole for getting agenda items done like pardons etc. after they become a lame duck (post election but prior to new president being sworn in). They are less accountable because they no longer have to answer to the public since the election is over.

[quote=on_the_hill; 14388951]This whole battle is getting petty. It’s middle school politics that’s making Paul Ryan, a man I respected until he fell into bed with Trump, and the rest of the federal Rs look like a ninnies.
[/quote]

You might not be familiar with Paul Ryan’s recent run ins with Trump. I suggest looking at the most recent election cycle.

I shouldn’t have brought Ryan into the thread. It’s likely to derail. :o

I don’t think presidents are all that answerable to the public, to tell you the truth. Presidents’ public approval ratings are usually not good to begin with. Plus, Congress can always check and balance the President.

I generally feel that making arguments about “slippery slopes” are themselves slippery slopes, but this is one case where it could truly be a slippery slope.

The Midnight Rules Relief Act (H.R. 21),

The bill would amend the 1996 Congressional Review Act to allow Congress to nullify—in a single vote—as many as 61 regulations finalized in the last 60 legislative days of an outgoing presidential administration. “It’s designed to stem a growing trend by presidents, of both parties, to use their last few months in office to rush in costly, expensive or controversial new regulations,”
govexec.com/oversight/2017/01/house-approves-disputed-bill-curb-midnight-rules/134343/

I don’t believe it goes back far enough but a lot of damage can be done by a pen with little accountability in 60 days.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.