House posed to apologize for Slavery, Jim Crow

:coffeeread:

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The House of Representatives was poised Tuesday to pass a resolution apologizing to African-Americans for slavery and the era of Jim Crow.

The nonbinding resolution, which is expected to pass, was introduced by Rep. Steve Cohen, a white lawmaker who represents a majority black district in Memphis, Tennessee.

While many states have apologized for slavery, it will be first time a branch of the federal government will apologize for slavery if the resolution passes, an aide to Cohen said.

Full story from CNN here.

There is something weird about apologing for something you did not do. There is something weird about “the state” apologizing for something “it” did in the past. The state does not make decisions; the people who ran the state make the decisions and if they would apologize … well they are dead so who knows what they would do.

It strikes me as false sentimentality and obscures the important aspect of repentence: the free will of the offender to change his heart.

Very easy to apologize for something you didn’t do.

I agree…especially since “the state” abolished slavery. Didn’t that act basically give an indication of previous wrongs (i.e. allowing slavery)? :shrug:

Not to mention the lives of over 600,000 Federal (“Northern”) troops and countless more injured and maimed.

Not to mention the half million men dead resolving this once and for all

[quote=estesbob]Not to mention the half million men dead resolving this once and for all
[/quote]

Precisely. I did a google, and found an article about Lincoln’s 2nd inaugaral address:
theatlantic.com/issues/99sep/9909lincoln3.htm

If we shall suppose

that American Slavery is one of those offences

which, in the providence of God,

must needs come,

but which, having continued through His appointed time,

He now wills to remove,

and that He gives

to both North and South,

this terrible war, as the woe due

to those by whom the offence came,

shall we discern therein

any departure from those divine attributes

which the believers in a Living God

always ascribe to Him? …

Yet, if God wills that it continue,

until all the wealth

piled by the bond-man’s two hundred and fifty years

of unrequited toil

shall be sunk,

and until every drop of blood

drawn with the lash,

shall be paid by another

drawn with the sword,

as was said three thousand years ago,

so still it must be said

"the judgments of the Lord, are true

and righteous altogether."

To me, that is the best of apologies. I doubt that today’s Congress will do any better.

Another fine example of Congress wasting time. Be this guy Dem or Rep it’s a “politically correct” move that is STUPID. This congress had NOTHING to do with Slavery. This congress represents ME…and my family came to the US AFTER slavery…I nor congress…have anything to apologize for.

Slavery was wrong. PERIOD. How blacks were treated horrible…but I was not part of it.

sigh :rolleyes:

What is it 14%? Seems awfully high to me.

rlg, thank you for that.

It is certainly worth repeating.

If we shall suppose
that American Slavery is one of those offences
which, in the providence of God,
must needs come,
but which, having continued through His appointed time,
He now wills to remove,
and that He gives
to both North and South,
this terrible war, as the woe due
to those by whom the offence came,
shall we discern therein
any departure from those divine attributes
which the believers in a Living God
always ascribe to Him?

Yet, if God wills that it continue,
until all the wealth
piled by the bond-man’s two hundred and fifty years
of unrequited toil
shall be sunk,
and until every drop of blood
drawn with the lash,
shall be paid by another
drawn with the sword,
as was said three thousand years ago,
so still it must be said
"the judgments of the Lord, are true
and righteous altogether."

Abraham Lincoln was certainly one of our most literate presidents and able to, in just a few words, cut to the quick and evke a feeeling deep in the heart and soul of a each person.

Abraham Lincoln was certainly one of our most literate presidents and able to, in just a few words, cut to the quick and evke a feeeling deep in the heart and soul of a each person.

Precisely, and I have always thought that his words were not only for a nation, but personally felt. He had come to realize that many of his feelings and beliefs had been misguided.

John

Hey, what about the thousands of Southern boys who fought against the War of Northern Aggression???

Those were bloody and terrible years. Is there any kind of war worse than a civil war? (Rhetorical question; please let’s not derail the thread.)

Being from Missouri and southern Illinois, I certainly understand the sympathies of both sides.

For many in the South, many of those whose fore-fathers fought the “Yankee invaders”, this resolution must be a real slap in the face.

Hey, what about the thousands of Southern boys who fought against the War of Northern Aggression???

They were misled, well-intentioned, honorable men.

John

Yeah, by an unsympathetic Northern-Heavy Congress.:ehh:

Ok.
Then when are the African Americans whose lineage is from those slave holding nations of Africa going to apologize to those their ancestors kept in bondage?

And the Persians, Turks, Russians, Chinese, Egyptians etc… When will they apologize for it?

O yeah. :shrug: Lots of those people can’t apologize for it. Their ancestorial nations still practice slavery.

gatt.org/wharton.html
gvnet.com/humantrafficking/Chad.htm
gvnet.com/humantrafficking/Liberia.htm
infoplease.com/spot/slavery1.html
gvnet.com/humantrafficking/SaudiArabia.htm
gvnet.com/humantrafficking/Russia.htm
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6752507.stm
And then there is …
usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa061202a.htm

Most folks here seem to be focusing on the slavery part, but Jim Crow was much more recent and even though most folks think of the South as the villain here, I’d like to point out that racism and segretation (tho not always official) were rampant throughout the nation. Google “sundown towns” and see what you get, for example. There are still property deeds here in Southern California that specify that the property can only be sold to whites. I am active in anti-racist work (I’m white and I work with other white folks) and I’ve read a lot of research on this topic.

As for slavery and the fact that other nations, some African, have/had slavery. I don’t think that is the issue, unless, of course, they have a document that says “we hold these truths to be self evident, that all men were created equal” and hold themselves up to be the a pillar of equality and democracy. :shrug:

I’m originally from TN and I’m still very Southern (yes, on the War of Northern Agression - it was about State’s Rights, but that’s another subject).

I do agree, however, that these formal apologies seem to be pretty useless. :blush:

I cannot see apologizing for that which I do not/never did concur. I have never thought slavery or discrimation based on a person’s color, race, creed ,ethnic background, economic situation etc was right.
And as far as I can tell none of my senators or congressmen ever held slaves, thought slavery was a good thing or believed discrimation based on any of this reasons was.
Next there will be reparations paid…or was that what affirmative action was supposed to help?
African Americans may need to consider that the Egyptians held the “Children of Israel” as slaves…and Egypt had many many people in power who were certainly not caucasian.
So when are they going to apologize to the Jews?

How so? Southerners today were not alive during the war, so they didn’t have anything to do with what their forefathers did, right? :wink:

Yes, I was surprised that everyone seems to be ignoring this.

The resolution doesn’t do harm. Does it do good? I don’t know. Perhaps if we have any African-American readers they might want to give their perspective.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.