House votes 342-80 to rebuke UN on Israeli settlement

thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/312956-house-votes-to-rebuke-un-vote-on-israel

*The House passed a resolution on Thursday denouncing the Obama administration’s abstention from a critical United Nations Security Council vote condemning Israeli settlements.

Lawmakers of both parties supported the measure in a 342-80 vote, with four Democrats voting “present.” A majority of Democrats, 109, voted for the resolution; 76 Democrats opposed it. All but four Republicans voted for the resolution.

The Obama administration drew criticism from Republicans and Democrats alike last month when it declined to veto a U.N. resolution condemning Israel’s expansion of settlements in occupied Palestinian territories as a violation of international law.

“This government, our government, abandoned our ally Israel when she needed us the most,” Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said in an animated House floor speech. “These types of one-sided efforts are designed to isolate and delegitimize Israel. They do not advance peace. They make it more elusive.”*

Once the egg is cracked, you can’t make it whole again. What Obama did to Israel can never be undone.

But the House can at least let the world know, as with this vote, that the Obama view of Israel is very much a minority view within the U.S., and will not determine policy vis a vis Israel in the future.

So the billions they’ve received under Obama mean nothing? All of the resolutions that were critical of Israel we vetoed over the years mean nothing (I counted 34 from this list before I got interrupted and lost my place)? We are not Israels lap dog and I’m happy that we finally stood up to them. If they are angry at us they can refuse our money and fund their own military.

If things keep going as they are, we won’t be able to whether we want to or not.

Love it. Best part - it is bipartisan.

I have been encouraged by the blowback, at home and abroad, after this Obama/Kerry ‘mean girls’ move at the UN. It is second nature to assume the US will play its normal role with respect to the ongoing UN vs. Israel saga; when that fails, it would appear enough are ready to step up, put things back to right. This could all retrigger the peace process too - not exactly how Obama intended; I mean reset it. A two state solution is impossible with Hamas in place as it is right now. The reality of this could be coming to light. What now? Remains to be seen. This could just be, ironically, ‘progress.’

If a man hits his wife, the important thing is not how many times he did not hit her, or even how well he remembered her birthday.

We have never been Israel’s lap dog. For goodness sake, the terrorist world thinks of it the other way around. Why do you think the Iranian mullahs call Israel the “little satan” but the U.S. the “great satan”.

Israel is an ally, and has always been an ally. We’ll probably never know in this life how many services Israel has returned in terms of innovations and intelligence. We only know that it has happened. Giving arms money to Israel (which has to be spent on American military hardware, and is) is not greatly different from giving it to our own armed forces, or at least to companies like Boeing and Lockheed Martin.

One might well question why we give aid to Russia, and a lot of others, which we do. But other than perhaps Britain, Canada and Australia, we have no closer ally than Israel.

Why should we “stand up to” Israel in the West Bank? In Israel, Israeli Arabs can own land, and do. In Jordan, Palestinians can own land, and do. But no Jew can own land in Jordan. Why should we insist that Jews can’t be in the West Bank either?

:thumbsup:

An ally that spies on us. An ally that attacks our naval ship and shoots sailors preparing lifeboats. An ally who we constantly defend from UN sanctions by using our veto power. Not that I’m a fan of the UN but what goes on with Israel is a farce. An ally whose country is based on creating a racial/religious homeland in hypocritical defiance of principles which underly our modern governments. An ally who achieved independence from Britain through terrorism and false flags. Personally I don’t think we get anything good from this. Even if we did it is at the sacrifice of moral goodness.

There’s no evidence that the USS Liberty incident was anything more than a tragic accident. And, we spy on our allies too, the NSA tapping Angela Merkel’s cell phone, is a recent example.

I think this criticism applies better to the Palestinians who have essentially ethnically cleansed Christians and Jews from the West Bank and Gaza. The city of Bethlehem, the place where Jesus was born, is no longer safe for Christians or Jews. Contrast that with Muslims in Israel, who practice their religion openly and suffer no legal discrimination.

One could argue that we achieved our own independence from Britain through the same way.

There is plenty of evidence the attack on the Liberty was intentional. The official government story simply discounts it. But sailors on the ship testified that they thought the attack was intentional. Even if not intentional it shows a gross disregard for due care.

Yes we spy on our allies. We aren’t a good ally either.

The ciriticism that Israel is a state created for a specific race/religion is a simple fact. Whatever anyone else may be doing that is what Israel is founded on.

Much of what you say seems to boil down to the US or other governments do that same. That obviously isn’t and can’t be a justification.

Fair enough, but then why is that so cool when Hamas does it for Islam in Palestine? Is this not also going a little ‘nativist’? Just wondering. You must admit, given that the US at least ostensibly holds to the same principles of democracy that Israel does, Kerry’s take on all this is kind of surreal. But I don’t expect coherency from the Obama administration on foreign policy - I am alarmed at how bad it is getting though. Glad it is over.

I certainly don’t support an Islamic state. I don’t object to the idea of a state for certain groups. I do object to the idea that only Europeans and Christians aren’t so entitled. The hypocrisy is what bothers me most.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.