House work on Sundays

Hey everyone. Would house work on Sundays count against the commandment for rest on Sundays because its the Lord’s Day? I am not talking about spring cleaning but just general house cleaning even if it may work up a sweat.

Generally speaking, we shouldn’t be working up a sweat doing laborious or unpleasant things on Sundays or holy days of obligation. There are extenuating circumstances, however, including “family needs.” It would be good to ask your priest about your particular situation. The catechism says:

2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body.123 Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. The faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health. more]

Well, I actually called a priest I know and asked him about it before I did the work. He told me it was okay to do it.

The fact is, the work really needed to be done and so I did it.

I was going to say that if you can figure out a way to enjoy it…then I (personally ) wouldn’t think it was a problem. Put on some good music and think ‘cleanliness is next to Godliness’! :wink:

Pretend you are Little Thérèse, offering up her housework for the glory of the Lord. :smiley:

Any unnecessary work should not be done. Cannot save for Sunday what could be done on another day. If your floor needs mopped but on Saturday you go to the ball game, save the work until Monday. Common sense will prevail. Seems like we are often tempted to clean up dirt on Sunday that just was not that important yesterday,

I mowed the lawn today, if for no other reason than today ( Sunday June 30) has been the only day this week that it hasn’t rained. I enjoyed being out in the sunshine and fresh air. I also picked some raspberries from my yard and thanked God for providing such a good crop this year.:slight_smile:

You are supposed to try to schedule things for days other than Sunday, but if circumstances sometimes interfere with your plans so you have to do it on Sunday, like a farmer having to harvest on Sunday or lose his crop, then go ahead.

If you find that circumstances are frequently interfering, then look at how you are handling things, bit it may simply be that circumstances are frequently interfering!

A dear friend’s mother is a Third Order Carmelite…and her approach to work on Sunday is this:
If your friend’s donkey fell in a ditch on Sunday, would you leave the poor animal there until Monday morning?

With all due respect, if you already talked to a Priest regarding this, why bring it here? Did he give you an answer that you were not expecting? I see nothing wrong with house cleaning on Sunday. Of course i’m in the minority with that statement, most here on this board will tell you that other than breathing, you can’t do ANYTHING on Sunday.

After 12 noon on Sunday I do whatever needs done.

Your neighbors out the night before abusing their liver’s would probably be thankful that you wait until noon on Sunday’s to mow your yard :stuck_out_tongue:

I am a very particular person and I can’t stand for my house to be untidy. I don’t do heavy cleaning on Sundays, but I will clean up after supper and pick up clothes and such. I think that is fine.

I am allergic to dust and pollen, so I have to keep my house clean. I don’t like being covered in eczema. If there comes a time in my life that I am too busy to clean the house other than Sunday, I will be dusting and such on Sundays.

I have an electric lawn mower that makes lots less noise than a gas-powered one.

Housework is not forbidden on Sundays.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.