house?

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 9,27-31.

And as Jesus passed on from there, two blind men followed (him), crying out, "Son of David, have pity on us!"
When he entered the house, the blind men approached him and Jesus said to them, “Do you believe that I can do this?” “Yes, Lord,” they said to him.
Then he touched their eyes and said, "Let it be done for you according to your faith."
And their eyes were opened. Jesus warned them sternly, "See that no one knows about this."
But they went out and spread word of him through all that land.

I cant make out from the context what house Jesus went into? Why is it mentioned at all?:shrug: :confused:

It was probably the house in which Our Lord lived in Capernaum, which had become His headquarters.

We learn in Matt 4:13 that at some point after John the Baptist’s arrest, Jesus left Nazareth and “went and dwelt in Capernaum by the sea, …” Mt 9:1 refers to Capernaum as “his own city”.

Peter lived in Capernaum (cf Mt 8:5 with 8:14; Mk 1:21 & 29) It’s possible the “house” that Jesus lived in was Peter’s house.

As to why it’s mentioned, I guess just because that’s the way it happened. Our Lord didn’t respond to their pleas and cure them as they were walking along out in public, but chose to do it in the privacy of His dwelling. I have no idea why.

Hmm… I read a little before and a little after and I wonder about another possibility. Could it be that these men came up to Him
on His way to the synagogue leader’s house where He raised the little girl? Since they don’t say what house they are talking about, they expect we know what house they’re talking about.
We would, if this story were place between vs. 22 and 23, right
after He healed the woman who was hemorrhaging.
:twocents:

This actually fits quite well with other incidents of Jesus either healing people in private – taking them aside from the crowd – and “strictly charging” them not to say anything about the cure (a command which those healed would disobey anyway).

As for the house, it is possible that it was Peter’s house that is mentioned here (where Jesus stayed) – the setting was in Capernaum after all.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.