Houses of Discernment for Women

Hi! Does anyone know of any Houses of Discernment out there for women discerning religious life? They are quite hard to come by. I’ve been searching for a long time … like months … and I’ve come up with very little.

There was one in St. Paul, MN and they are hoping to open up a new one, but they told me last time there were more young women interested in their own archdiocese than they could take.

I’ve heard of one in Philadelphia (actually two for women … one more centered on service to the community … the other on prayer and discernment) but I do not know if they are still going or if they take young women from outside the archdiocese either … and also, the priest who was in charge of them (another article), Fr. David Engo just started a new Franciscan community (there’s a comment there too with reference to these discernment houses) and is in the Fort Wayne-South Bend Diocese now. I am looking into it though.

Then I’ve come across a few others, but they’re for students at different colleges, like this one at the Univ of Michigan in Ann Arbor, St. Catherine House (scroll down)

So anyway, if any of you know of any others please post about them. I think this could be helpful to a lot of young women out there searching for places like these.

A couple others I've run across ...

In La Crosse, WI .. altonfranciscans.org/apostolatepages/houseofformation.htm

from their brochure .. Mater Redemptoris House of Formation guides young women to find the vocation to which God is calling them to and IS THE ONLY ONE IN THE COUNTRY OF ITS KIND.

In Saskatoon, Canada .. presentationofmary.ca/discernmentHOME.html

Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist
4597 Warren Road
Ann Arbor, MI. 48105
www.sistersofmary.org

[quote="Julian0404, post:3, topic:200137"]
Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist
4597 Warren Road
Ann Arbor, MI. 48105
www.sistersofmary.org

[/quote]

Hi! Thanks! Yes, I know of these Sisters and they are great! :)

But actually what I'm looking for are Discernment Houses .. like places for young women to live for a time .. away from the distractions of home, etc. to live in community and pray and discern. There are many out there for men discerning priesthood, which is great! :thumbsup: I think, or know from talking to other young women, that there is also a great need out there for something similar for women. So anyway, if anyone knows of any others, please post them. Thanks!

another discernment opportunity I thought I’d post here … the Community of St. John has this 9 month School of Evangelization program, where you live with the Brothers and Sisters in Princeville and share in their life and formation … it was started by Fr. Nathan …

soaringforwisdom.com/?p=22

If anyone can think of anything else, please post! Thanks! God bless! :slight_smile:

On the college front, I think Ave Maria University and Catholic University of America have discernment houses or groups.

Outside of that, you may want to consider volunteering or working at a retreat house for a time. Some retreat houses have live-in helpers. It wouldn't be quite the same as a defined program, but it would give you a time to be away with the Lord. It may give you a few more options.

As I've written elsewhere, it is a reasonable but incorrect conclusion that St. Catherine House is limited to Michigan students.

Please do consider applying.

Paul Schultz
Editor, GC Weekly Update
Resident, Fr. McGivney House

[quote="LaudemGloriae, post:1, topic:200137"]

Then I've come across a few others, but they're for students at different colleges, like this one at the Univ of Michigan in Ann Arbor, St. Catherine House (scroll down)

[/quote]

Hi! Thanks again!! From the Ann Arbor thread ..

[quote="paulcschultz, post:22, topic:193707"]
Dear LaudemGloriae - the conclusion you draw from the Generation Christ Weekly Update selection quoted is reasonable but incorrect: One need not be a UMich student to reside in SCH. This summer, residents include several college graduates and some non-student young women as well.

See the St. Catherine House page

Please contact Sr. Mary Ann if you are interested.

Paul Schultz
Editor, GC Weekly Update
Resident, Fr. McGivney House

[/quote]

[quote="LaudemGloriae, post:25, topic:193707"]
Dear Paul,

Hi! Wow!! Thank you! That is so great to know! :thumbsup: And I hadn't seen that site of theirs .. I must have missed it from the main page. Very neat! Thanks again! God bless!

[/quote]

Just ran into this awesome booklet the Community of St. John put out, soaringforwisdom.com/Final%20Volunteer%20Booklet.pdf How amazing! :extrahappy: (and I just realized there's a link to it on the main site, soaringforwisdom.com/) They have St. Catherine's House at the end too. May God reward whoever went through all the work to put this together! (probably Fr. Nathan) :clapping:

Also, thank you, Sister Rose! That's a great idea too .. to look into retreat houses that have live-in helpers! :thumbsup:

another option in Boston, for those who can afford it/may be going to college there, so this would be convenient .. bayridgeresidence.org/ run by Opus Dei. Looks really great! :thumbsup:

Still trying to find a temporary place for a time as I continue to discern. Here are a couple more I ran into. The first is in Toronto.

staugustines.on.ca/spiritual/spiritual_discernment.htm

rjm-us.org/loc_massachusetts.asp

Another thing, I wonder if anyone can help come up with a list of colleges that have these, while you continue with your studies. Thanks!

A discernment house success story! I was just watching this the other day and was excited to hear her say she stayed in a discernment house .. I wonder which one. Anyway, what a beautiful story!

youtube.com/watch?v=eZQKjkCsIww

Sister Rose, just wondering - do you happen to know any retreat houses that have live-in guests? I’m not sure how common it is. The only one that I know of is the one in Valparaiso, IN run by Opus Dei. But it’s usually just Opus Dei members who live and work there. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion though. I’m looking into it. :thumbsup:

Also, I’m asking a bunch of questions here for the sake of women that may find this thread through google. It’s the second link just now on a search for discernment houses for women. As for me, I’ll probably end up staying at home until I enter … But oh, it would be helpful to be in a place away for a time … I guess that’s called a retreat, but it’s just a few days at most. Anyway, if all goes well I hope to make a 30 day Ignatian retreat next year … so the Lord provides :rolleyes:

does anyone know of these discernment houses in Victoria Australia?

"Every parish with an empty convent should take notice of what St. John the Baptist Church is doing."

I agree! :thumbsup:

catholicweekly.org/discerning-young-adults-get-own-homes-in-ypsi-parish/

I have no idea, but perhaps you could ask these people, rc.net/australia/aprel I found them searching for this video that’s been on EWTN “The Priceless Pearl” which was a wonderful presentation on religious life, especially contemplative life as I recall, rc.net/australia/aprel/APRELvid.htm

God bless you, Christine!

edit: since I just started a new page, I’m posting what I just posted before this again :wink:

“Every parish with an empty convent should take notice of what St. John the Baptist Church is doing.”

I agree! :thumbsup:

catholicweekly.org/discerning-young-adults-get-own-homes-in-ypsi-parish/

I was reading the posts and was wondering, what is a discernment house for women? I got confused because I saw the mention of College also, so is it for college age women?
The reason I ask is that I am feeling the stirrings of a calling to missionary work or something deeper for the Lord. I am a mother of 5 children , of most are adults, with the exception of my 16 year old. So of course I was looking ahead a bit to when she is 18 before taking off on a long term mission, but that is my goal, if God wills it. Is there any mission work links that anyone here can direct me to?

Thank you

God Bless!!:bible1:

[quote="LaudemGloriae, post:13, topic:200137"]
Sister Rose, just wondering - do you happen to know any retreat houses that have live-in guests? I'm not sure how common it is. The only one that I know of is the one in Valparaiso, IN run by Opus Dei. But it's usually just Opus Dei members who live and work there. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion though. I'm looking into it. :thumbsup:

Also, I'm asking a bunch of questions here for the sake of women that may find this thread through google. It's the second link just now on a search for discernment houses for women. As for me, I'll probably end up staying at home until I enter ... But oh, it would be helpful to be in a place away for a time ... I guess that's called a retreat, but it's just a few days at most. Anyway, if all goes well I hope to make a 30 day Ignatian retreat next year .. so the Lord provides :rolleyes:

[/quote]

Oops, sorry to take so long. I didn't see this post.
I know this would be quite a ways out but there is one Ephphatha House, in Stony Plain, Alberta has a live-in community and Rule of life they follow. www.ephphathahouse.org/
Madonna House in Ontario has a volunteer program that might work. madonnahouse.org/programs/guests.html

Others may not have a defined program but might welcome some live-in help. You'd probably have to call and ask though. It is hard to find and pay for help especially when many retreat houses keep the retreat costs as low as they can. They would probably require a certain level of maturity.

WOW this looks amazing!! And with the Franciscans of the Immaculate! They are super awesome! :thumbsup:

maryschildren.com/MC-Newsletter-FRS-FR2a.htm#HouseOfDiscernment

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.