How a Pope becomes known as "The Great"

Search as I might, I cannot find reference to anything official on this…but lots of evidence that leads me to this conclusion:

The Church does not have a policy or procedure on naming a Pope “The Great”, however in the past two Popes have been given this title by a subsequent Pope (St.s Leo and Gregory). Because they were beloved by the faithful, the title stuck.

I added the last sentence thinking that there very well may have been other Popes who have said this about another preceding Pope, but that no one bought it.

If we lump all Church teaching into Doctrine/Policy and Tradition/Practice, wouldn’t the title of “The Great” considered a thing of the latter?

Can anyone reference a Church document that says otherwise?

Hi Rick,

Good question. I heard this on CA radio last night. “THE GREAT” is a title instowed on an individual by the people. It is not an official title of the Church (like Blessed or Saint).

[quote=dhgray]Hi Rick,

Good question. I heard this on CA radio last night. “THE GREAT” is a title instowed on an individual by the people. It is not an official title of the Church (like Blessed or Saint).
[/quote]

That’s correct – “Great” is a title bestowed by the people. It is extremely rare – only two Popes have held it (Leo and Gregory.) Among kings, one King of France (Charles or Charlemagne) and one King of England (Alfred.)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.