How about an "orthodox sash"?

Is it time for orthodox Catholics to don “orthodox sashes” in the USA? Something that would physically show our devotion to following the Church and the Vicar of Christ on Earth?

Perhaps it could be all white. much like the alb which is the vestment common to all Catholics. Maybe it should be red because it would seem like a great many orthodox Catholics feel like martyrs of one sort in today’s world. Maybe it could be green to show that the Church is heading towards greener pastures, or black to note the slow death of heterodoxy? My choice would be a military camoflague pattern to show we are in a fight for the Church…

If there was enough demand, maybe EWTN could promote and give them away for a “donation.” EWTN could let a huge contract to some monestary or convent equipped with blazing sewing machines and off we go! They could include their own mark-up in the price and it would be a “win-win.”

Additionally, EWTN, Catholic Answers and all the rest of the good Catholic websites could post instructions for sewing one’s own sash. We could adorn them with lapel pins to show our individual devotions to Mother Mary, or any of our favorite saints.

It promoted right, this could be a real duesie…

[quote=Pariah Pirana]Is it time for orthodox Catholics to don “orthodox sashes” in the USA? Something that would physically show our devotion to following the Church and the Vicar of Christ on Earth?
[/quote]

Hoo, boy! I’d do it, as long as the Vatican said it was OK. Of course, I see nothing wrong with it. It sounds like a great idea.http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

It wouldn’t be long, though, before folks would start calling me one of those wacko ‘Deep Catholics’ and tell me I’m like those Pharasees.http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon9.gif

[quote=Pariah Pirana]Is it time for orthodox Catholics to don “orthodox sashes” in the USA? Something that would physically show our devotion to following the Church and the Vicar of Christ on Earth?

[/quote]

I respectfully disagree, it is never a good time for people to use the celebration of the Eucharist as a platform to push a personal agenda. If people want to physically demonstrate their loyalty to the Pope and the magesterium they should do it as Christ suggested: by obeying His commandments. All the sashes, medals, rosaries, pious practices, medals, scapulars in the world aren’t worth anything if we disobey the clear commands of Christ on how we are to pray, live and worship, if their fruit is disunity, detraction, and feelings of superiority over other Christians.

[quote=puzzleannie]I respectfully disagree, it is never a good time for people to use the celebration of the Eucharist as a platform to push a personal agenda. If people want to physically demonstrate their loyalty to the Pope and the magesterium they should do it as Christ suggested: by obeying His commandments. All the sashes, medals, rosaries, pious practices, medals, scapulars in the world aren’t worth anything if we disobey the clear commands of Christ on how we are to pray, live and worship, if their fruit is disunity, detraction, and feelings of superiority over other Christians.
[/quote]

Right on sister, I couldn’t have said it better myself! :thumbsup:

[quote=puzzleannie]I respectfully disagree, it is never a good time for people to use the celebration of the Eucharist as a platform to push a personal agenda. If people want to physically demonstrate their loyalty to the Pope and the magesterium they should do it as Christ suggested: by obeying His commandments. All the sashes, medals, rosaries, pious practices, medals, scapulars in the world aren’t worth anything if we disobey the clear commands of Christ on how we are to pray, live and worship, if their fruit is disunity, detraction, and feelings of superiority over other Christians.
[/quote]

I beg to differ. There is no “personal agenda”, it would simply be a means to show obedience to the Church and the Pope of Rome. People already do this in a number of ways.

Your straw-dog argument falls flat. There is absolutely no reason why an orthodox Catholic couldn’y do all that you list AND wear the sash. None. In fact, one should (must!) do those things you listed before donning the sash.

I like the earlier poster’s idea – make sure it was first approved by the Holy See – make it international! Maybe the bishops could officiate at solemn liturgies where orthodox Catholics first donned the sashes…

[/quote]

Hey, I am with Annie. She usually gives very good advice. Orthodox sashes would be just too “cute” and an inappropriate way of telling the Rainbows to stick it in their nose. I know its an all too human reaction, but lets not follow in their footsteps.

:rotfl:

Shhhhhh, we wacko Deep Catholics need to lay low.:blessyou:

(have you been to the Orans thread yet?)

[quote=puzzleannie] All the sashes, medals, rosaries, pious practices, medals, scapulars in the world aren’t worth anything if we disobey the clear commands of Christ on how we are to pray, live and worship, if their fruit is disunity, detraction, and feelings of superiority over other Christians.
[/quote]

While I agree with you thought, wouldn’t wearing our Brown Scapulars outside of our clothing, be the thing to do? Really they were meant to be worn on the outside anyway.

It’s not a matter of superiority, I’m wearing it anyway.

Get your sash on! We’re goin’ to Mass!

1. Alcoholics Pride Sashes - Drunks who are proud of their state of life could wear sashes made of bar napkins, or beer labels, because - hey! Jesus went to a week long kegger too, and even made some special brew when his mom told him the kegs were dry.

2. Gluttonish Pride Pride Sashes - Hey, chow hounds are people too! How about a sash of sausage links! Or Big Mac’s strung together ready to snack on in case the homily gets a little long.

3. Strip Club Patrons Pride Sashes - The sidewalks around Mannheim Road are always littered with placards from the local strip clubs, easily recycled into sashes- bad taste you say? You judgmental bigots bent upon oppression!..

4. Contraception Pride Sashes - How about all those Catholics that are oppressed by a Church that just won’t roll with the times. Come on the majority of Catholics practice contraception so while they are hardly ever oppressed by homilies on this subject. The Catechism and Church teaching still hasn’t given in on this. The sashes could be made out of birth control pill containers strung together with condoms.

5. Uncharitable Pride Sashes - For those who do not have a charitable disposition and are imposed on when some busy-body usher shoves a offering basket under their nose they can have a sash that says it all. The sash would come with lettering saying “Charity begins at home - my home and that’s it.”

catholiccitizens.org/press/contentview.asp?c=22800

[quote=fix]Get your sash on! We’re goin’ to Mass!

[/quote]

That’s actually pretty funny!
I really liked the group of people that got on their knees and prayed the rosary in the aisle so the Rainbow Sash people could not pass.

[quote=netmilsmom]While I agree with you thought, wouldn’t wearing our Brown Scapulars outside of our clothing, be the thing to do? Really they were meant to be worn on the outside anyway.

It’s not a matter of superiority, I’m wearing it anyway.
[/quote]

Scapulars would be a great idea! They certainly wouldn’t need to be brown, and it would be nice if they were full sized!

That would be cool!

[quote=Pariah Pirana]Scapulars would be a great idea! They certainly wouldn’t need to be brown, and it would be nice if they were full sized!

That would be cool!
[/quote]

Isn’t a Scapular the last layer on a habit?

Seriously, I would wear one if the RS people came to our parish.
Although at my parish, they would most probably instantly combust!

:wink:

[quote=Pariah Pirana]I
I like the earlier poster’s idea – make sure it was first approved by the Holy See – make it international! Maybe the bishops could officiate at solemn liturgies where orthodox Catholics first donned the sashes…
[/quote]

I still think the energy and effort required to mount an international campaign such as you suggest could be much more profitably used to promote Eucharistic adoration, adult faith formation, evangelization, and pro-life ministries.

[quote=Pariah Pirana]Scapulars would be a great idea! They certainly wouldn’t need to be brown, and it would be nice if they were full sized!

That would be cool!
[/quote]

Hey they make those large house scapulars. Those would show up really well. We could start carrying the large wall rosarys as well. :wink:
All kidding aside. Shouldn’t we wear our scapulars on the outside?

Instead of a sash, I was thinking of devotions (Adoration, Divine Mercy…) along with a blessed cord (ie St. Joseph cord, St. Philomena cord or other) just understand the devotions that they entail. The cords would be a visible sign. Just a thought.

1. Uncharitable Pride Sashes - For those who do not have a charitable disposition and are imposed on when some busy-body usher shoves a offering basket under their nose they can have a sash that says it all. The sash would come with lettering saying “Charity begins at home - my home and that’s it.”

Gee, lots of people here could wear that one (while they bash those who have valid beliefs different from their own)

Perhaps it could be all white. much like the alb which is the vestment common to all Catholics. Maybe it should be red because it would seem like a great many orthodox Catholics feel like martyrs of one sort in today’s world. Maybe it could be green to show that the Church is heading towards greener pastures, or black to note the slow death of heterodoxy? My choice would be a military camoflague pattern to show we are in a fight for the Church…

If there was enough demand, maybe EWTN could promote and give them away for a “donation.” EWTN could let a huge contract to some monestary or convent equipped with blazing sewing machines and off we go! They could include their own mark-up in the price and it would be a “win-win.”

Additionally, EWTN, Catholic Answers and all the rest of the good Catholic websites could post instructions for sewing one’s own sash. We could adorn them with lapel pins to show our individual devotions to Mother Mary, or any of our favorite saints.

It promoted right, this could be a real duesie…
[/quote]

“Something that would physically show our devotion to following the Church and the Vicar of Christ on Earth?”

Don’t our actions show this? Christ already knows our devotion why would we need to outwardly display this. Christ already knows it and if we live it out nothing else is needed. Otherwise it becomes more of a, “Look at me, I’m Orthodox”. It should be "Don’t look at me, follow Christ!

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]“Something that would physically show our devotion to following the Church and the Vicar of Christ on Earth?”

Don’t our actions show this? Christ already knows our devotion why would we need to outwardly display this. Christ already knows it and if we live it out nothing else is needed. Otherwise it becomes more of a, “Look at me, I’m Orthodox”. It should be "Don’t look at me, follow Christ!
[/quote]

Does there necessarily have to be a dichotomy between acting and outward displays? Couldn’t there be both?

I can already hear the objection about the prayer in secret, but again, does that necessarily apply to everything? Is there any logical stopping point to this reasoning? That is, should churches not look like churches? Should saint processions be banned?

Scott

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]“Something that would physically show our devotion to following the Church and the Vicar of Christ on Earth?”

[/quote]

I think that PP is looking for us to do this at the Rainbow Sash invasions.
But, just as I wear a Miraculous Medal or a crucifix instead of just a cross, it shows that I am Catholic as well as Christian. I’m pretty proud of being a Catholic!
In my old parish, getting a Rosary out to pray before mass was enough to show that I was not with the crowd.
What’s wrong with that?

I think it could too easily become a “Look at me, I’m so great - Thank you God that I’m not like all those other wretched sinners out there…”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.