How accurately do movies & TV portray your profession?

I used to work for a magazine publishing company–a high pressure, deadline driven job–and I could never watch the show “Just Shoot Me.” These characters supposedly worked for a magazine, but they always had a lot of time to stand around exchanging witticisms.

My normal work, as a computer technician, would be mind-numbingly boring to watch.

But, put a pair of sunglasses on me, de-age me about 20 years and have me "hack" into a government computer network, and ta-da! I'm a TV show.

Rarely, if ever, do TV shows mirror actual work environments or occupations. They're just not that interesting. If they were, we'd **all **be more excited to go to work!

[LIST]
]Commuting would be a **harrowing car chase!
*]Having lunch would become an adventure in finding the antidote to your poisoned tuna sandwich and the person **who did it to you
!
*]Your cell phone calls suddenly become a
* hot-line to God*--and soon **self-flagellating albino agents* from the "Catholic Church" turn your home commute into yet another car chase as they try to take your phone away!
[/LIST]

I think I'll just stick to the hum-drum commute. :)

I have never seen what I do portrayed in movies or TV....I quote commercial and industrial lighting jobs to electrical distributors and contractors....good pay....not exciting enough to watch me do it....if you blinked an eye....you would miss something important.:)

:smiley:
Hmmmm, lets see.
When I was younger I worked in a newspaper around the time ‘Lou Grant’ was on. And I can tell you there is a certain amount of excitement being in the middle of the ‘action’. BUT, reporters are not detectives, they do not get that involved in their stories, if they did they would not last long in the field. Editors are some of the nastiest people I have ever encountered. Except for the old-timers, who never let the stress of a deadline stop them from turning around to us young bucks, pull out a cigarette and tell a joke (you could smoke in the office in those days).

When I was a Protestant minister…well, do I even need to say it? The guy on 7th Heaven wouldn’t have lasted a month in some of the churches I was in.:eek:

Sales? I have better taste in clothes.
:rolleyes:

I'm a stay at home mom, have been for twenty years now, so I consider that my profession. Do I even need to answer that question? LOLOLOL!!! :rolleyes:

Your life could be transmogrified into a "very special episode of Desperate Housewives."

But being a mom is adventure enough! :slight_smile:

I'm a stay at home mom. I find TV is pretty accurate:

If I'm not preparing breakfast with my pearls, heels, and 50's style dress or solving the Beaver's problems, I'm off shopping and scheming with my best friend Ethel, all while Mrs. Trumble babysits for me. :D

The only time I ever saw a civil engineer on TV was the Simpsons episode where Sideshow Bob’s brother got a job as the “Chief Hydraulical and Hydrological Engineer” for the new Springfield dam. I got a laugh, but its pretty sad when they mangle even the WORDS, much less the actual job. Can’t say I’ve ever hatched a plan like that one either… :smiley:

So *you’re *the reason why Mrs Trumble is always unavailable when I call her! :tsktsk:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I'm a lawyer. Lawyer shows on TV are always ridiculous. The only show that IMO came close to accuracy was The Practice during its first couple of seasons.

Lawyer movies aren't quite as bad as lawyer TV. A Civil Action, The Rainmaker, and (believe it or not) *My Cousin Vinnie *all do a pretty decent job of showing what certain areas of the law are like.

I’m a licensed massage therapist. I work primarily with clients in pain chronic and acute. I employ techniques that engage the neuro-muscular system.My knowledge and skills have helped a variety of people- priests,nuns, construction workers, professional athletes,doctors,lawyers,butchers,bakers and candlestick makers.

We are usually portrayed as dingbats, prostitutes, or obese European women who beat the tar out of people. There was actually a casting company that called our clinic looking for a massage therapist to play a massage therapist in a movie filming in our town.None of us were “believable enough” to play ourselves!!!

Agreed. I find John Grisham’s representation of the field to be pretty good, aside from all the extraordinary things that happen, which are represented as obviously unusual circumstances. From what I understand, Mr. Grisham practiced on and off, between writing novels, although I don’t know if that’s still the case.

[quote="Loveday220, post:5, topic:189464"]
I'm a stay at home mom, have been for twenty years now, so I consider that my profession. Do I even need to answer that question? LOLOLOL!!! :rolleyes:

[/quote]

*You profession is surely the most important & underpaid & under appreciated, profession in the history of humanity!

**Motherhood is the most beautiful calling & the closest humanity will ever come to God!!

Our Blessed Mother Mary is the ultimate example of Human Perfection that ever existed!!
Sancta maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Pecatoribus!

mark

Hmmm...
Well, I would say most librarians I know are very intelligent and wear the "librarian" glasses, me included...however, we are not all spinster cat ladies, or world traipsing adventuresses;)...however it is a very interesting and exciting profession...:)

well I was a historian and archivist in my former life and certainly the DaVinci code had the same relation to the truth about my job as it did the truth about its subject–nil. I have never seen a TV show about an archivist, although most of the historians cited on the History Channel do not have a very good standing in the academic world, for whatever that is worth.

I have never seen a DRE portrayed on TV

LOL!! My Dad (the retired Deputy District Attorney) REFUSES to watch even one episode of any Law and Order.

On the other hand, my criminal law professor used to tell us ‘guys, if you have any problems, I’m here for you any time - just not on a Tuesday night, that’s when Law and Order is on!’ :smiley:

I did a short stint in a criminal law firm last year - getting experience from the point of view of defence lawyers, of course, rather than prosecutors. It certainly was very dramatic at times, though of course not nearly as much as TV would have you believe.

I think the law shows fall down the most in the court-room scenes. If lawyers behaved in court in real life (at least in Australia) as they do on television, they would be thrown out of court or in the lockup for contempt.

PFFFF. My profession is shown as being the miserable, misunderstoof hermit, throwing paint and ketchup at canvas all alone in their desolate loft apartment, lamenting that no one truly understand the sole of an artist

My other job, the one that has a steady paycheck, I’m the board fast food clerk who just looks at the customer like she hates her life as she miserably slops a hamburger together. In reality, I love working at Subway, and am legitimately chipper

[quote="Langdell, post:10, topic:189464"]
I'm a lawyer. Lawyer shows on TV are always ridiculous. The only show that IMO came close to accuracy was The Practice during its first couple of seasons.

Lawyer movies aren't quite as bad as lawyer TV. A Civil Action, The Rainmaker, and (believe it or not) *My Cousin Vinnie *all do a pretty decent job of showing what certain areas of the law are like.

[/quote]

Okay I gotta a question for you. :D
On these Law and Order shows they always have a scene in which the suspect is being questioned by the cops and in walks the lawyer who announces loudly "Okay this interview is over!!!"
Does that have ANY basis in reality?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.