How are Catholics supposed to view 2012?

Hi there,

Well, pretty everyone is going hysterical over the 2012 theory. I personally do not believe in it. Jesus said nobody knows the day nor the hour of the end of time. They have all of those shows and movies about it that try to prove it with the Mayan Calander, Nostradomus, Bible Code, and who else knows what. I think the TV people are fudging the information to scare everyone. I think Americans like a good mob hysteria. For instance, Al Gore got everyone worked up over global warming and people went crazy. But anyways, how are Catholics supposed to look at all of the 2012 stuff? Is it evil? ok? should we just ignore it like I'm doing?

Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeanne

Well…let’s see…the most recent end of the world theory was the year 2000. Well, Y2K came and went…and we’re still here. :wink: This is certainly not the first and it won’t be the last. Could it be? Certainly! But not because anyone told us. No one knows the day or the hour. No one, except the Father in heaven. Period.

That being said, we should always stay in a state of spiritual preparedness. The end of the world might come tomorrow, but you could die today.

The philosophy regarding the 2012 “doomsday” event is false. The thought is that the Earth, Sun, and universe aligning, will cause some crazy gravity issue, and cause the world to be destroyed in 2012.

It’s nonsense. The Earth, Sun, and universe align EVERY YEAR.

Check out Neil deGrasse Tyson’s take on this, it’s pretty hysterical.

youtube.com/watch?v=QJjQMwEjC1I

Al Gore is still trying to scare everyone witless about Global Warming and making a lot of money in the process. It seems Fear is, or has been a major survival tool of humans since we hit planet earth. It is an easily prevoked response. Some cynics suggest that the psychology of fear is an essential component of those who would have us believe we must increasingly rely on the elite who manage the apparatus of the central government. Others tell us the mass media love to use fear as a means of making more money. So, maybe when you see a combination of the two being used, it’s time to be very, very cynical. However, the 2012 scare is going to be short lived. Come 2013 they will need to find some other scary scenario to use on us!

Indeed, this 2012 business is just that - business. It’s trumped up silliness to sell movies and merchandise related to one of humankind’s favorite scary story topics, the end of the world. The movie itself looks like complete rubbish and I won’t jump on that bandwagon, either.

We all know, through the teaching of the Church, that Scripture says the end of the world is known only to the Father in Heaven. No one else knows, hence any sort of prediction pretending to be viable is garbage to be refuted and thrown away.

Humans need to worry more about the here and now, not make-believe about a made-up future that in all likelihood will not come to pass.

Catholics should regard 2012 as a poor movie and that's about it.

Er, you don’t sound too confident there, Lycorth. shouldn’t you have left out the “…in all liklihood” bit? A wee bit scared maybe? A tensy weensy bit? :smiley:

Only God the Father knows . . . not even the Son knows when the end of time will come.

It should be viewed as a comedy act.

The priest at my church gave a homily a few months ago, during which he said about fifty zillion times that the whole 2012 thing was a bunch of nonsense. (Ok, fifty zillion might be a slight exaggeration. :p) His main message was, "The world will end whenever God wants it to - so don't be afraid."

Since this statement is being said. I have wondered for a very long time how it is that God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit can be One, all equal and yet the Son not know when the end of time will come.

Catholics who live in the United States should view 2012 as the time to vote Barack Obama out of office. Hopefully they won't fail the unborn again.

ATB

That’s right, when 2013 gets here everyone will know that it was simply a sham !!

What’s more, to believe in this fallacy is actually a mortal sin, a violation of the 1st commandment !! Anytime we give credence to something which portends to know what the future holds is, in effect, putting another God before the one true God … a violation of the 1st commandment … as per magisterial teaching.

As the year after 2011 and the year before 2013. But the presidential election reminder is good, too.

[quote="lakotak, post:12, topic:182059"]
... I have wondered for a very long time how it is that God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit can be One, all equal and yet the Son not know when the end of time will come.

[/quote]

Because they are each a "distinct person" within the Godhead ... that's why the Catholic understanding is that in order for the Trinity to do anything outside the Godhead they must all be in agreement !! In other words, in order for creation to have come about, all 3 persons of the Trinity had to agree for that to happen.

Mind you, each person of the Trinity can do something on their own internally ... however, for something to happen externally then they must all be in agreement.

So am I understanding that God the Father, could decide that He would be the only one to know the end of time and would not have to share this with the Son or Spirit?

Well certainly.

For an event to be "condemned", it would be judged constat de non supernaturalitate, i.e. the event is definitely not of supernatural origin.

I personally haven't made up my mind, but these classifications (with one other) apply to all apparitions investigated by the Church, so just wanted to put that out there.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tet-cZL3vpU/S0PrI37bKaI/AAAAAAAAAKk/_tnvqxQO74c/s1600/rat.jpg
Join us:
popebenedictxvifanclub.com/

So, I shouldn't have liquidated my 401K and built a panic room?
Uh-oh...

[quote="Mickey_Finn, post:13, topic:182059"]
Catholics who live in the United States should view 2012 as the time to vote Barack Obama out of office. Hopefully they won't fail the unborn again.

ATB

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

didn't realize there was anything else about 2012 to consider.

still don't :shrug:

My worry is what Our Lord Jesus will have to say when I meet him face to face. :eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.