How are churches going to introduce the new translation?

Most Catholics know the current translation, and have known it for many years. So, how are churches going to introduce a whole new translation?

I would suppose the way the vernacular liturgy was introduced. With public announcements from parish priests, laminated cards with the new text and other relevant resources dealing with the translation.

Well I hate to admit, but I'm lost here. I don't want to hijack the thread, but could somene explain what the new translation is and what they're doing with it? Send me a PM or something; I don't want to be rude.

Thank you :)

It is up to each Bishop how they introduce and implement it. Most of us will probably get a mention of it at Mass, some bulletin inserts for several weeks explaining things and then it will begin. This is what happened with all the changes that took place in 2003.

Coolduude,

usccb.org/romanmissal/

My parish is spearheading the What If We Said Wait campaign, so I don't think I will be able to give a typical answer. I don't happen to fit in with their sentiment and it makes it difficult for me to be part of the parish sometimes.

For me, I just want to say What If We Just Took Our Thumb Out Of The Eye Of Holy Mother Church. Sigh, but instead I think I will just drive across town to find and join a more upright parish.

But in answer to your question, here's at least the initial plan from the US Bishops:
Series of Seminars Slated to Introduce Revised Roman Missal

Peace

Most of the changes that people need to be aware of are in parts of the Mass that are usually sung. These will probably be introduced however the parish usually introduces new mass parts (in my experience, an announcement about 5 minutes before Mass, followed by the cantor and organist playing the melody, then repeated by everyone).

Hopefully there will be announcements (even homilies!) on the changes as they approach, but for the most part people will realize the change only when it is put into place.

Father Mitch Pacwa and his guest spoke on the new translation on EWTN Live recently:

ewtn.edgeboss.net/download/ewtn/audiolibrary/el_02032010.mp3

What changes happened in 2003? I do beleive that is when the new revision to the GIRM was released but it did not affect the mass goers like the new revision of the mass will.

[quote="CDNowak, post:6, topic:188688"]
Most of the changes that people need to be aware of are in parts of the Mass that are usually sung.

[/quote]

No, spoken responses will be very heavily affected, as well. The response "And with your spirit" will replace "And also with you" throughout the Mass. The penitential rite responses will be affected, as will be the creed, Orate fratres, preface, among other things.

[quote="Justin1224, post:8, topic:188688"]
What changes happened in 2003? I do beleive that is when the new revision to the GIRM was released but it did not affect the mass goers like the new revision of the mass will.

[/quote]

It depended on where you lived, some bishops wisely took advantage of the new edition of the GIRM to correct some abuses that had become commonplace in their dioceses. (Hopefully that will happen again with the new translation, I have heard some priests say that their diocese is waiting for the Missal so implement everything at once: Missal, GIRM, and RS).

Now I'm not 100% sure on this, but alot of the "new" wording and responses seem to actually fall back on the Tridentine Mass. For example: "the Lord be with you"- " And also with you" will change to "And with your Spirit", and "Lord I'm not worthy to recieve you" to "Lord I'm not worthy to recieve you under my roof" What you might want to do is check out this link from the USCCB. I think it is intresting how things always seem to come back to Tradition.
usccb.org/romanmissal/examples.shtml

[quote="WeinschrottClan, post:11, topic:188688"]
Now I'm not 100% sure on this, but alot of the "new" wording and responses seem to actually fall back on the Tridentine Mass. For example: "the Lord be with you"- " And also with you" will change to "And with your Spirit", and "Lord I'm not worthy to recieve you" to "Lord I'm not worthy to recieve you under my roof" What you might want to do is check out this link from the USCCB. I think it is intresting how things always seem to come back to Tradition.
usccb.org/romanmissal/examples.shtml

[/quote]

Actually, they have always been in the OF Mass as well, just not in English. :thumbsup:

[quote="Justin1224, post:8, topic:188688"]

[/quote]

It affected some people quite a bit and took many parishes years to implement and get up to speed. Mostly because parishes had been innovating practices for some time.

catholic.com/library/liturgy/cag_changes.asp

I do agree this is much more significant a change.This is more about what the people say and do than the 2003 changes. I know I will need a missalette for quite a while until I memorize some parts of the Mass.

B]Whats this about?

Well, here’s the USCCB’s site all about the implementation of the new translation. It also contains the complete new text of the Order of the Mass:

usccb.org/romanmissal/

[quote="AidanM32, post:14, topic:188688"]
Whats this about?

[/quote]

In 2000 Pope JPII issued a new edition of the Missal, with few changes. However, that prompted a new translation (according the norms of Liturgicam Authenticam). The process of translation has taken 10 years, and is now being finalized. Hopefully the new translation will be completed this year and will be in use at the beginning of Advent 2011.

The USCCB site (linked several times in the thread) has more background and the changes that we can expect to see.

Are they still going to say the “We Believe,” or is that prayer going to revert to its proper form?

“I believe”….

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.