How are vessels purified when Mass is not celebrated in church?

I attended a Church event that was held in a hotel over a weekend. Mass was celebrated at least four times, with the Precious Blood available at each Mass in smaller Chalices in addition to the big celebrant’s Chalice.

Since there is no sacrarium at the hotel, how would the vessels be purified between each Mass?

More or less the same way.

One pours water into the chalice or ciborium and then drinks the water, dries the vessel with a purificator.

Using the sacrarium is not always necessary after every Mass, not even in a church that does have one.

In a travel situation (like a hotel, since you asked) it’s prudent to use a little more water than usual and to be a little more careful.

Fr. David hit the nail on the head.

The only thing I’d add is that when I’ve assisted at Masses done at similar locations, we’ve sometimes rinsed all the Sacred Vessels in a large bowl, and then emptied this into ground where people wouldn’t walk (e.g.: flower beds). This is our little make-shift sacrarium for occasions like that.

each vessel must spend ten minutes in purgatory. :smiley:

Thank you for your responses.

How is the rim on the top (where people’s lips touched) washed? I’m assuming they need to wash that part most of all to keep it sanitary for the next Mass. Since it would be on the outside of the Chalice, the water couldn’t be consumed. Also I’m guessing that they’d use soap for this part. How is it done?

Once the chalice has been purified by the priest or deacon, a lay person can then wash the chalice with soap and water in a regular sink.

Ah. Thanks.

When we wash the chalices after Mass we use a soap that is unscented which has worked better for us… Rinsing is still important.
I wash the purificators and lavabo towels at home( my duty) every week. I rinse the purificators in a bowl that I place in the sacrarium, dispense there. Then I take home and wash separately.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.