How are we any different?

how has catholic history been any different from what isis is doing now?

so many Christians seem to have done atrocious things, like reducing religious freedeom of muslims and jews, making them pay heavy taxes, killing them if they didn’t convert, expelling them from countries, enslaving them. and not many people, church hierarchy included, really said or did anything about it

ca’nt really deny that anti-Semitism has been in the church for a long time

I understand that we are made up of sinners and the church is hospital for the sick. but it really seems like everyone felt lilke what they were doing was justified.

I feel like somehow we have failed at being the light of Christ for the most part. except for the small number of saints

Catholic states have never systematically killed non-Catholics. Moreover the Church never supported the expulsion of the Jews.

As far as medieval Europe not allowing false religions to be publicly propagated, so what?

Don’t fall into relativism!

Let’s compare the situation in Palestine today.

1. Catholic Palestinians: Evangelize the Jews!
  2. Radical Muslim Palestinians: Kill the Jews!

[RIGHT][/RIGHT]

Mohammed and his followers started taking over towns by violence, just as ISIS is now. Within 100 years, they had spread from the Middle East, across North Africa, and through the Iberian peninsula. They even entered France. To the West, the Moslems reached India.

The Christians, otoh, were still being persecuted and martyred off and on for 300 years. They did not do anything like what the Moslems did.

The Church has always been against forced conversions, but there were a few cases in which this occurred, usually for political reasons *by rulers, *not by priests or laypeople under the orders of the hierarchy.

Is it so difficult to believe that pagans of that time would be attracted to a religion where the deity did what He did for love?

so many Christians seem to have done atrocious things, like reducing religious freedeom of muslims and jews, making them pay heavy taxes, killing them if they didn’t convert, expelling them from countries, enslaving them. and not many people, church hierarchy included, really said or did anything about it

Actually, very few *Catholics *did this–I don’t know about non-Catholic Christians doing this. When these things happened, it was usually done by the secular authorities, often for secular reasons. Sometimes those reasons were actually good–some acted as spies for other nations or groups or heretics disturbing soceity’s peace–but sometimes the reasons were bad: like expelling the Jews because rhe king owed them a lot of money.

ca’nt really deny that anti-Semitism has been in the church for a long time

The Jews weren’t enamoured of the Christians either.

Quote]I understand that we are made up of sinners and the church is hospital for the sick. but it really seems like everyone felt lilke what they were doing was justified.

I feel like somehow we have failed at being the light of Christ for the most part. except for the small number of saints
It is unfortunate that in this day and age, history is often written by those who do not have a Catholic point of view, and who are philosophically descended from the anti-Catholic “Enlightenment.” Thus, that which was a good thing at the time is now portrayed as being wicked. Our current concept of authority differs from the Catholic concept, so there is little recognition of the boundaries Catholic rulers operated under. Saints are the outliers modern historians allow to be good.

If we had failed so badly in being the light of Christ, Catholicism would never have spread as it did, since it was spread for the most part by peaceful missionaries and accepted voluntarily.

Angel,

I don’t know where you get this stuff.

It is **not **true that the Church killed Muslims and Jews.

It is true that many rulers in many countries did not want Jews in their country. It is true these leaders issued decrees that were not favorable to the Jews.

It is true that what is now Spain fought to **reclaim **their freedom and territory from the Muslims, who were the invaders and aggressors, for over 800 years finally expelling them.

Angel,
why do you constantly gravitate to things that belittle and question your Catholic Faith?
Why do you constantly give credence to anti-Catholic material yet do not investigate supportive pro-Catholic material? I think you need to examine this because it get exhausting to constantly read your negative questions. It’s like you want to believe or do all these negative things. Posters have given you good advice and webs sites and books to help you. Yet they seem to matter little and the constant negative always seems to be there.

Angel, when you come before God, (and it could be tomorrow, no one knows) he is not going to ask you about what happened in the church 500 years ago.

What do you suppose he’s going to ask you?
Think on these things. Become the best possible you that you can be.

you seriously think i sit around with nothing better to do. this kind of thing comes up when trying to discussing Catholicism. latest thing, the roman ghetto.

i don’t know a lot of things and come on here to ask for help. yes, i do llook at websitees and other things that people ppost,

you don’t have to read or answer my questions if you don’t want to

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.