How are we saved?

Hi everyone.

I was wondering: How are we saved?

I mean, I consider the Catholic Church to be authoritative, but I can’t seem to get a straight answer when it comes to salvation. (In contrast, Protestants have a straight answer, “Believe in Jesus”.) I even checked the CCC and it made zero sense. Can someone please give me a short, simple answer to the question? Specifically:

i) I’ve heard it been said “Grace alone”. If so, how do we receive that grace?

ii) Where is this in the Bible?

iii) What of the verses like “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and thou shalt be saved” (Acts 16:31) and “That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” (Romans 10:9)? How do they fit into the Church’s teaching?

Thanks!!!

(Oh, and by the way, I’m not trying to be pesky, I’m honestly looking for answers. Thanks!)

perhaps this tract from the Catholic answers library will help you.
catholic.com/library/Assurance_of_Salvation.asp

I feel the same way, I’ve been trying to figure this out for a while and I’ve gotten somewhere, I just don’t know if it’s completely true.

It is grace alone, grace is a gratuitous gift from God. I believe that once we convert to God, and away from sin (because of the grace of God), we gradually get more grace by having faith and doing works of charity. Please, don’t take my word for it, I’m feeling a little heretical right now…

I have no idea.

Those are all Catholic doctrine, all those verses say is that you have to believe in Jesus as a “prerequisite”, if you will, to being saved. Note, however, they never said that believing is all you need to be saved.

I honestly think I haven’t helped at all, but I thought I could get this thread rolling (hopefully no one has posted yet!)

Pax,
Zach

We are "saved"because we choose to co-operate with the Grace that God has offered to us.Is belief enough?Jesus said"If you love me,you will keep my commandments and my commandments are not grevious>Scripture teaches faith without works is dead. Read Ep.4:17-32,Ch.5:1-20.Our Lord did not leave us without help and healing.The Sacraments were instituted to help and heal us along our journey home.In short,I was saved,I am saved and Iam being saved.The Church is here with us to help,guide,teach,and offer us these wonderful Sacraments.I hope this helps.Peace,Rocky.

Matthew 7:21
"Not everyone who says to me,** ‘Lord, Lord’** will enter the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 7:23:
“Then I will declare to them solemnly, 'I never knew you. Depart from me you evildoers.

This is the answer:
To believe in Jesus Christ, and to be "goodoers not evildoers as Christ,Himself, stated.

People say “Oh, if I believe, than I’m saved.” Not if you murder, and steal, and commit adultery, and violate the Sabbath etc. Remember that the Devil believes in Jesus Christ.
And if you say I believe in Jesus Christ, then you will try not to commit those sins.

In conclusion, Believe In Jesus Christ And Live A Good Life According To The Law Of God.

From Scripture supporting that **good works as well as faith **is required for us to be saved

"Take the case, my brothers of someone who has never done a single good act but claims that he has faith. Will that faith save him? If one of the brothers or one of the sisters is in need of clothes and has not enough food to live on, and one of you says to them, ‘I wish you well; keep yourself warm and eat plenty’, without giving them these bare necessities of llife, then what good is that?: if good works do not go with it, it is quite dead.
This is the way to talk to people of that kind:'You say you have faith and I have good deeds; I will prove to you that I have faith by showing you my good deeds–now you prove to me that you have faith without any good deeds to show.

You believe in one God–that is creditable enough, but the demons have the same belief, and they tremble with fear. Do realise, you senseless man, that faith without works is useless. You surely know that Abraham our Father was justified by his deed, because he offered Isaac on the altar? There you see it; faith and good deeds were working together; his faith became perfect by what he did. This is what scripture really means when it says: Abraham put his faith in God, and this was counted as making him justified; and that is why he was called the friend of God. You see now that it is by doing something good, and not only by believing, that a man is justified." [James 2: 14-24]

“It is not those who call me ‘Lord, Lord’ who will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the person who does the will of my father in heaven.” [Matthew 7:21]
“Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ but not do what I command? I will show you what someone is like who comes to me, listens to my words, and acts on them.
That one is like a person building a house, who dug deeply and laid the foundation on rock; when the flood came, the river burst against that house but could not shake it because it had been well built. But the one who listens and does not act is like a person who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the river burst against it, it collapsed at once and was completely destroyed.” [Luke 6:45-49]
“Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption; but he who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. And let us not grow weary in well-doing, for in due season we shall reap, if we do not lose heart.” [Galations 6:7-9]

John 3:3-5
Jesus declared, “I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.a]”

4"How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked. “Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb to be born!” 5Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.

Jesus is referring to Baptism.

"Because of original sin, we are born without grace in our souls, so there is no way for us to have fellowship with God. Jesus became man to bring us into union with his Father. He said no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is first born of “water and the Spirit” (John 3:5)—this refers to baptism.

"Through baptism we are born again, but this time on a spiritual level instead of a physical level. We are washed in the bath of rebirth (Titus 3:5). We are baptized into Christ’s death and therefore share in his Resurrection (Rom. 6:3–7).

“Baptism cleanses us of sins and brings the Holy Spirit and his grace into our souls (Acts 2:38, 22:16). And the apostle Peter is perhaps the most blunt of all: “Baptism now saves you” (1 Pet. 3:21). Baptism is the gateway into the Church.”

Taken from Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth available here: catholic.com/library/pillar.asp

Yay!! Randy’s here to save the day!!!

It just amazes me how some don’t know how to be saved and depend on things like water baptism and other sacraments to be saved.

I believe it is all important that we pay personal attention to our eternal welfare, and that we not trust the best of men in the matter. If we permit men to mislead us in eternal matters and are lost, it will be too late to personally see after our welfare.

Don’t take the attitude that you cannot be deceived. Don’t take the attitude that your church is the only right one and that it cannot mislead you. Your church may be the right its teaching concerning the New Birth, but make certain by going to the Bibler yoursdelf, and seeing with your own eyes, and knowing with your own heart, that you are right with God, that you have the real New Birth, andf that you are living right with Godf every day.

You see, the trouble is in the heart. Culture, refinement, and outward correctness of life, in the organized church or out of it, cannot take the place of the new birth. It you don’t believe me, study mark 7:21-23.

Folks, the trouble is in the heart, the inward man, the spirit.

Please, please accept Jesus by inviting Him into you hearts and by confessing Him as your personal Lord and Savior ( Rom. 10:9-10). :thumbsup:

Peace,   Golfjack

Rom. 10:9-10 “That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.”

True. However, it also states, “Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.” Mark 16:16

So, according to Scripture, a person must be baptized in order to be saved. A person who does not believe, also obviously does not receive baptism, and so without baptism he is not saved, but is instead condemned. Baptism saves because it washes away our sins:

Acts 22:16 “And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.”

Baptism spiritually regenerates us:

Titus 3:5 “not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit,”

We are “Born Again” through Baptism:

Ephesians 5:26 “to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word,”

John 3:3 “In reply Jesus declared, “I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.” 4"How can a man be born when he is old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb to be born!” 5Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. 6Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’”

Then what? How do we continue to be saved?

Colossians 1:22-23 “But now he has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation— 23**if **you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant.”

“Continued” salvation is conditional. If we obey God’s commandments and produce good fruits until death, then we will inherit eternal life. If we sin and do not repent before death, then we will not inherit eternal life. (Matthew 19:16-19, Romans 11:22, 2 Peter 1:4-11, Galatians 5:19-21)

What are some other things that are necessary for continued salvation?

1 Timothy 5:8 “But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.”

Matthew 6:15 “But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.”

Romans 12:2 “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” (Matthew 5:48)

Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.” (Acts 10:34-35, Revelation 2:10)

Salvation is not a simple one-time statement of faith. Faith is living a Christ-like life until death. We must remain (abide in) Christ (imitate Him) until death in order to inherit eternal life. (Romans 5:10)

Pax,
SHW

Water baptism is simply symbolic of the death, burial, and resurrection of our Lord. This act has no saving power. If one believes that it saves, then one comes up a wet sinner.

Peace,   Golfjack

Salvation is a gift from God, that cannot be earned. Its a gift!!! Very Important that you get this one thing strait 2 Corithians 5:17 when we are saved we become a new creation in Christ. Adopted sons of God whereby we cry abba Father. Many work to try to become a Christian. You can’t swim to become a fish, but if your changed into a fish you swim because that is who you are. When you changed into a child of God you do works not to become a Christian, but that is who you are. So solo scripture or not the Bible is the main authority and no person or group can change that. Baptism, Sacrements, Priest, good works can not save you only your repetance and acceptance of Christ as Lord and Savior can save you. Then you will do works not be saved, but because that is the New saved you. We were all in a spiritual prision of death as humans, the wages of sin is death, so Jesus being the perfect sacrifice paid the debt in full on the Cross. Recieve the Pardon and your free as long as you keep you eyes on Jesus the Author and finisher of your faith. NOW THAT YOUR FREE ARE YOU GOING BACK INTO PRISION TO PAY THE REST OF YOUR DEBT? NO. The debt is paid. Don’t serve a Jesus who was not quite sufficent. Jesus the real Jesus, the Son of the Living God, The Messiah, God himself is most sufficent to pay all your debt and fully save you. Study Study Study The new Testament. God Bless

Ok so there may be alot of Denominations, but all Protestant denominations have one vital thing in commom. They believe that Salvation is a gift from God, that cannot be earned. Its a gift!!! Very Important that you get this one thing strait 2 Corithians 5:17 when we are saved we become a new creation in Christ. Adopted sons of God whereby we cry abba Father. Many work to try to become a Christian. You can’t swim to become a fish, but if your changed into a fish you swim because that is who you are. When you changed into a child of God you do works not to become a Christian, but that is who you are. So solo scripture or not the Bible is the main authority and no person or group can change that. Baptism, Sacrements, Priest, good works can not save you only your repetance and acceptance of Christ as Lord and Savior can save you. Then you will do works not be saved, but because that is the New saved you. We were all in a spiritual prision of death as humans, the wages of sin is death, so Jesus being the perfect sacrifice paid the debt in full on the Cross. Recieve the Pardon and your free as long as you keep you eyes on Jesus the Author and finisher of your faith. NOW THAT YOUR FREE ARE YOU GOING BACK INTO PRISION TO PAY THE REST OF YOUR DEBT? NO. The debt is paid. Don’t serve a Jesus who was not quite sufficent. Jesus the real Jesus, the Son of the Living God, The Messiah, God himself is most sufficent to pay all your debt and fully save you. Study Study Study The new Testament. God Bless

In simple terms Christ says Mark 16:16

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved

Part of having faith means abiding by the commandmants Matt 19:17

But if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments

Eph:3:17:
17 That Christ may dwell by faith in your hearts: that, being rooted and founded in charity, (DRV)

In simple terms Christ says Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved

Part of having faith means abiding by the commandmants Matt 19:17 But if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments

Above all love 1 John 4:8 *He that loveth not knoweth not God: for God is charity. *

We should abound in good works too Titus 3:8, Matthew 16:27, James [2:24,22

*It is a faithful saying. And these things I will have thee affirm constantly, that they who believe in God may be careful to excel in good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

*For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels: and then will he render to every man according to his works. *

I]Do you see that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only?

Seest thou that faith did cooperate with his works and by works faith was made perfect?

Ephesians 3:17 That Christ may dwell by faith in your hearts: that, being rooted and founded in charity

1Corinthinas 13:2,13
*And if I should have prophecy and should know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I should have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

And now there remain faith, hope, and charity, these three: but the greatest of these is charity. *

2 Peter 3:18 But grow in grace

Re “i) I’ve heard it been said “Grace alone”. If so, how do we receive that grace?”:

In a sense, the faith versus works and grace versus works distinctions are “false dichotomies.” Grace generates works and faith. If somebody is engaging in works oriented toward salvation – “good works” – then grace is doing it, and grace must be accepted, so that he or she has within himself or herself the “yes” to grace which amounts to rudimentary “faith,” at least. How many people you know will erect an altar to “works not faith, not grace” in their basements, and with awestruck humility say, before that altar, “G-g-g-g-g-g-god of w-w-w-w-works, p-p-p-p-please help m-m-m-m-m-me to eng-g-g-gage in g-g-g-g-good works w-w-w-w-without that bad f-f-f-f-faith and g-g-g-g-g-g-grace stuff.”?

So, salvation is by grace, but not “alone,” to the extent that grace IS a “faith machine” and grace IS a “works machine.” If you could actually HEAR grace coming, and when you listened to it carefully you could HEAR God, within the grace, whispering, “Have faith. Do works. Have faith. Do works,” would you say, "Salvation by grace “alone”?

“Ineffable” means you can’t fully get your mental arms around an idea. Your mind can’t finish understanding it. God is ineffable. Grace is a piece of ineffable God. Grace is therefore ineffable. God’s ineffable grace purchased from God’s Own perfect justice by the suffering and death of God the Son on the cross is indeed the “saving machine.” But that grace generates a “faith flower” which is empty unless it also generates a “works willingness and works flower.”

The precise details of how we receive ineffable grace must itself remain ineffable. We can understand the process somewhat. Grace can’t ultimately be determinative in all respects – it can’t ultimately FORCE us to do what God wants, because then we are unlovable, unloving puppets and punishment of the damned is unjust. (Which raises the “election” issue.) Therefore, grace somehow raises the freedom of our will to equipoise, in a way that is ineffably tied-into our “yes” to grace’s arrival. Inside of that kind of mystical ideation is the probably unreachable answer to your question.

We Catholics firmly agree with our Protestant brothers and sisters that the redemptive work of Jesus is complete and all-sufficient. Through His suffering, death and resurrection, Jesus redeemed everyone: He paid for all the sins and made it possible for anyone to be saved. However, we know that not everyone is automaticlly saved.

Don’t confuse salvation with redemption!

Although the redemptive work of Christ is complete, the merits of His redemption must still be applied to each person in order for him to be Saved!

We Catholics have studied the entire New Testament for the past 2000 years and the Church has always taught that while the redemptive work of Christ is complete, the merits of His redemption must still be applied to each person in order for him to be saved. Thus, a person must repent (Mt 4:17), believe in Jesus (Acts 16:31), keep the Commandments (Mt 19:16-17), and live a life of charity (1 Cor 13:1-3), as Scripture plainly teaches.

The Catholic Church teaches us that we are saved by God’s grace alone. Grace enables us to have the saving faith that works in love (Eph 2:8-10). The works are from the grace of God, they are the “fruits” of that grace. The Church has never taught that we can earn our way to heaven by good works, just that the works are a result of God’s grace and we must cooperate with our love (1 Cor 131-32).

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

God Bless you!

Mark

Mark, Are you saying we must earn our redemption? How do we earn this? Let me give you one point about men who are out of Christ ( lost). Out of Christ every man is rotten in the heart. And mere outward correctness of life, apart from Christ, is artificial and the practice of hypocrites. And Jesus said of those He called hypoctrites, … for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men’s bones, and of all uncleaness ( Matt. 23:27). You see, the problem is in the heart, the spirit of men. To reform the outward man or outward life will not save you.

Peace,  Golfjack

First of all, what i say is meaningless. The only thing that matters is what Jesus said!

i never said anything about reforming the “outward” man, i wasn’t talking about “hypocrites”, we have plenty in both the Catholic and Protestant rank and file!.

Jesus plainly teaches us in Sacred Scripture.;… “a person must repent (Mt 4:17), believe in Jesus (Acts 16:31), keep the Commandments (Mt 19:16-17), and live a life of charity (1 Cor 13:1-3).”

The Church clearly teaches that we are all redeemed by Jesus, “Through His suffering, death and resurrection, Jesus redeemed everyone!”

Jesus tells us, **“Not every one who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.” **(Mt 7:21).

We cannot earn redemption, as i said the Church clearly teaches that we are redeemed perfectly and completely by Jesus, but not everyone is saved!

You are confusing redemption with salvation. In order to be saved we cannot go through the “external” motions, we must “do the will of my Father who is in heaven.” We must do something, we must take action, we must change our heart to love and accept Jesus, not just say the words “I believe…” at an altar call.

We are both saying the same thing, but from different perspectives. The bottom line is that Jesus paid the price for our redemption once, perfectly and completely with his blood. We can do nothing to earn our redemption, but not everyone is saved, not everyone will share eternal life in heaven with God.

In order to be saved, we must cooperate with Jesus as He told us to do.

i was just trying to clear up some of the common misconceptions about Catholic teaching.

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

Mark

OK Mark, I understand you better now. So, what part of man is saved by the blood, spirit, soul, body ( 1 Thess. 5:23)? I think if you Catholic’s understand that man has a three-fold nature, then I believe we Evangelicals and Catholics can agree on the most important doctrine of all, which is how to stay out of hell, and get rid of all this religious legalism. :thumbsup:

Peace,   Golfjack
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.