How are we to interpret Revelation 12:1?

In the 1950 era, when I converted to the Catholic Church, the Bentziger Bible’s commentary on Revelations 12:1 interpreted the sign of twelve stars as a threee fold sign consisting of (1) The Old Testament “Mother” Church sign, (2) the New Testament “Mother” Church sign, and (3) the Sign of out “Mother”, the Blessed Virgin Mary. Can you provide the exact phrases used - as I understand this interpretation was held for centuries, and I trust it is the most valid.

Thanks - Bill Grisham.:slight_smile:

Bill,

[FONT=Arial]The following link should assist you in better understanding the Catholic Church's teaching on the woman "with a crown of twelve stars on her head" in Revelation 12. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please [**contact Catholic Answers**]("http://www.catholic.com/home/contact.asp") directly.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Recommended Reading:[/FONT]

[LIST]
*][/FONT]What do the stars in Mary’s crown represent?
[/LIST]
[FONT=Arial]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.