How are we to worship God?

As the title says, How are we to worship God?

That’s a pretty broad question that has no definitive answer.

The primary means of worship in the Catholic Church is the Mass, which all Catholics are obliged to attend each Sunday and holy days of obligation, and are encouraged to attend more often (ideally, daily).

In spirit and in truth.

In other words, in two ways:

The Mass.
The Divine Office.

The offering of the Eucharistic sacrifice and the public prayer of the Church, the Body of Christ, certainly have the first and most important place among forms of adoration, but they aren’t the only ways.

Romans 12:1

I appeal to you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.

There are some good answers here already…
The Mass is the primary Catholic form of worship. It’s both a great end, or should I say the great end, and a great means. It’s named after all for the dismissal at the end:

After the blessing, the deacon dismisses the people. In fact, the dismissal gives the liturgy its name. The word “Mass” comes from the Latin word, " Missa." At one time, the people were dismissed with the words “Ite, missa est” (literally meaning “Go, she—meaning you, the Church—has been sent”). … The liturgy does not simply come to an end. Those assembled are sent forth to bring the fruits of the Eucharist to the world.

Remember, we eat in order to live! More generally, we worship God by doing our best to will and to fulfill His will on a daily basis. By all means we are not limited to the mass and prayer in worshipping God; rather these are the center from which all our daily worship is born, namely, in bringing the fruits of the Eucharist to the rest of the world as well.
If that’s too vague to be helpful, it’s because I’m looking for more specific answers to this question myself! I’m planning on keeping an eye on this thread to see what others have to say.

Tdlr, I believe the answer to this question must be primarily mass-centered and mission-centered, and an answer that better gets into specifics than this would be helpful!

Greg

Yes to the last post, it is to offer
to God AS A CHURCH our services
in CONFORMITY to God’s ways
which we have the FREEDOM
IN THE SPIRIT to test and approve!
Rom. 12:2

Yes to this last post, it is to offer
to God AS A CHURCH our services
in CONFORMITY to God’s ways
which we have the FREEDOM
IN THE SPIRIT to test and approve!
Rom. 12:2

Christ on the cross offered the greatest worship ever. Mass perpetuates that worship across time and space.

Just like participation in the Passover was a personal participation in the exodus from Egypt, our participation in the Mass is our personal participation in Calvary.

I really love Revelation chapter 4. It’s such a great scene about how God is worshiped in Heaven.

"And the four living creatures, each of them with six wings, are full of eyes all around and within, and day and night they never cease to say,

“Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God Almighty,
who was and is and is to come!”
And whenever the living creatures give glory and honor and thanks to him who is seated on the throne, who lives forever and ever, the twenty-four elders fall down before him who is seated on the throne and worship him who lives forever and ever. They cast their crowns before the throne, saying,

“Worthy are you, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honor and power,
for you created all things,
and by your will they existed and were created.”

To me, worshiping God means talking to Him, thanking Him, and telling Him how much you love Him.

Short answer: with all our mind, body, and soul. Outward signs are important but meaningless without interior belief. Our actions are driven by our faith.:thumbsup:

**37When he came near the place where the road goes down the Mount of Olives, the whole crowd of disciples began joyfully to praise God in loud voices for all the miracles they had seen:

38“Blessed is the king who 37When he came near the place where the road goes down the Mount of Olives, the whole crowd of disciples began joyfully to praise God in loud voices for all the miracles they had seen:

38“Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord!”
“Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!”

39Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Jesus, “Teacher, rebuke your disciples!”

40“I tell you,” he replied, “if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out.” ** Luke 19

This is what we should aspire to, even as we acknowledge that it’s quite difficult in this life. The disciples were overwhelmed, their worship was authentic, of the Spirit, coming spontaneously. Humans and angels worship this way continuously in heaven.

The question was purposely broad, to get to a definitive answer. Yes, the Mass is the primary means of worship, but it is only one aspect of worship. How do you worship in the other 22 to 23 hours?

A little vague.

And at other times?

How do you ‘present your body as a living sacrifice’?

Hopefully, we will get to specifics. :slight_smile:

Jesus’ obedience on the cross was the greatest worship, but Jesus worshiped the Father His whole life. There must be more, if we are to follow Him.

Only ‘telling Him’?

As Jesus said in Matthew 22:37.

How does loving your neighbor (the second greatest commandment) worship God?

Yes, the Saints’ praise of God is one form of worship. Is the assistance the Saints give us also worship?

JM3 you wrote in response to my post: "As Jesus said in Matthew 22:37.

How does loving your neighbor (the second greatest commandment) worship God?"

Again, the short answer: because Christ is within each and every one of us. Whether we’re a believer in Him or not, He is within us. His commandment to love others as ourselves has nothing to do with us being narcissistic; it has to do with us being able to see Christ in all people including ourselves. Also, we did not create our own bodies; God created them so we cannot logically hate ourselves or our bodies because we would end up hating God. On the other side, if we love God, we must love ourselves and everyone else. :thumbsup:

So, we also worship God by loving the image of God?

(note - I don’t have access to a computer week day afternoons, evenings or weekends. See you Monday morning. :slight_smile: )

No. We worship God by keeping Him in front of us at all times. When we see a street person, we should see Christ. When we see an unmarried pregnant teenager, we should see God. When we see a male coworker coming out of a strip club, we should see God. God does not advocate our sins but loves us despite our sins. He calls us to do the same; love others not because they DON’T sin but despite their sins as He loves us.:thumbsup:

Is there a point to this line of questioning?

This is the correct answer, though the shortest answer would probably be: with all of your heart.

OP is playing the sophist and I’m not sure why. People will worship God in different ways: a religious will certainly worship in different ways than I do, though we will both attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation (or rather he or she will, and I’ll do my best), we will both go to confession (though he or she will probably go much more often than I), etc, point being specifics are going to differ, your answer is the only “general” answer that can be given that applies to all people.

If OP is trying to make a point via the Socratic method he should make a point, Socratic method is generally pointless for Internet forums.

We worship God by loving Him with all our soul, heart, mind and strength. I believe we are all sinners here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.