How authoritative is the Bible?

How authoritative is the Bible? And how accurate is it?

I am not sure which to answer because truthfully I believe it is 100% inspired, sufficient under proper understanding, but not infallible.

There have been many who have justified some pretty outrageous things based on their interpretation of the Bible. I am not sure of infallible, because even though it is true, people teach themselves errors from it all the time.

As a Catholic I believe it is true, yet it needs to be understood from the perspective of the faith. The faith came first, the Bible was compiled to be used at Mass and to be known what was and wasn’t scripture, not be be used as a basis for founding new churches.

God Bless
Scylla

[quote=scylla]I am not sure which to answer because truthfully I believe it is 100% inspired, sufficient under proper understanding, but not infallible.

There have been many who have justified some pretty outrageous things based on their interpretation of the Bible. I am not sure of infallible, because even though it is true, people teach themselves errors from it all the time.

As a Catholic I believe it is true, yet it needs to be understood from the perspective of the faith. The faith came first, the Bible was compiled to be used at Mass and to be known what was and wasn’t scripture, not be be used as a basis for founding new churches.

God Bless
Scylla
[/quote]

AMEN:thumbsup:

I need an option that reads: Inspired, inerrant, materially sufficient, and with Sacred Tradition are the remote rules of faith (vs. the proximate rule of faith, the Church). :slight_smile:

Scott

Materially sufficient, but not Formally sufficient.

Scripture is fully sufficient for salvation. I do not, however, believe it is the only Word of God, because Sacred Tradition is just as important.

A text can not be infallible because it can not make decisions, only a person can be fallible or infallible.

The bible is inerrant, as in there are no theological errors.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.