How bad of a sin is cheating on schoolwork?

I know it’s wrong to cheat but how bad is it? I find it so annoying especially when taking online courses, that I study the chapters, and then take my exam, without cheating, and I fail or barely pass, when other people, simply do nothing and then go home and take the exam with Google open or an open book and ace the exam. Is this fair??? What if I’m cheating on a course that has 0 effect on my future profession, a course that I do not need. Is this still bad?

To add on, am I really gunna drop out of nursing school simply because I failed an unneeded course, such as political science for example? “Oh well, I didn’t learn the constitution, I guess this means I can’t go save lives!” Is this how we should be thinking??? I’m confused.

Well, it’s against the 7th and 8th commandments. So, yes, it is grave matter.

Yes, that is difficult. It is your professor’s responsibility to establish parameters and guard against cheating. Perhaps bring this to your professor’s attention.

Or are you merely *speculating *that this is what others do because you yourself are not doing well?

Fairness isn’t really the issue. Do the right thing because it’s the right thing. Period.

Yes.

And as an employer, if I knew someone cheated on their coursework I would NEVER hire them because I would not trust them.

Ask your professor what their policy is on open book quizzes or tests when done online.

Some are strict and others aren’t.

Currently I’m taking two online classes. An Ethics class and a Physiology hybrid class.

The Ethics class is just papers and online discussions.

The Physiology class involves quizzes and homework online.

I failed the first quiz because I studied for it but didn’t do very well. I didn’t look up answers…just tried to study the material and take the quiz.

I was curious and asked my professor what her policy on open book was. She said she was fine with it…as long as we promised we’d try to answer the questions unless we came across something we didn’t know and then we could look it up.

Okay…that is better. That is what I do. Study what I can, take the quizzes and look up answers I genuinely don’t know.

I know for hybrid classes most professors know students will look up answers…regardless of their policy.
They get around it by putting quizzes online that are worth less and having students come into class to do the sit down exams.

You’re forced to study the material…whether you like it or not. The exams are worth more then a quiz.

I tend to avoid taking math and science online classes because those classes are made up of tests and quizzes and the temptation to cheat is high.
English, social sciences and humanities classes are a better option because they rarely depend on tests and quizzes and rely more on written responses and essays.

I wouldn’t jump to the conclusion that ANY cheating is straight up grave matter. While cheating IS wrong not all types of cheating constitute grave matter. Stealing also breaks a commandment but stealing a small tootsie role is not grave matter but stealing 10,000 dollars absolutely would be

I’ve been taught that it is NOT grave matter.

Really? At the very least it’s lying. :eek:

As a college professor and a former college administrator let me answer your question: If the course (or equivalent) IS a requirement for graduation and you do not pass the course you can be dismissed from a school. I have done it many times with students.

As others have said, what are the professors specific instructions concerning test and quizzes? Do you know for certain that other students are actually cheating? If your school has an honor code, you might have a responsibility to bring your concerns to the administration.

I think you need to talk to a priest about this.

The gravity of the sin first of all depends on the situation. I wouldn’t consider cheating on a simple nightly homework assignment to be necessarily grave matter, as such assignments are either low-importance or zero importance to grades. The thing is, these assignments are practice for quizzes and tests, and so if one “cheats” on these assignments, one is only cheating himself/herself from doing one’s best later. Yet, the greater the stakes, the greater the gravity in cheating - cheating on nightly homework would be the lowest gravity; minor quizzes & papers a higher gravity; major tests (chepter tests, midterms, finals) and papers an even higher gravity; and the highest gravity on entrance exams, exams and/or theses for advanced degrees, certification exams, and professional journalism/research.

Your question, though, seemed more to hinge on what is considered “cheating” - especially in an online class where there are no checks and balances in place to prevent cheating on things such as online quizzes/tests. In most cases, professors (and students) treat online tests similar to take-home tests, and the rules of take-home tests apply (allowed to use whatever source you need, but expected to legitimately try first and then look up the answer if one is unsure). But some professors don’t. Usually, though, if they don’t, they have the whole class taking the quiz/test together in a computer lab - with a password used to unlock the quiz/test. Regardless, if you’re worried/unsure and it’s not spelled out in the syllabus itself, then ask your instructor on what he/she considers cheating.

If you had my niece for a high school teacher, cheating would not be a sin; it would be impossible. She never gives tests or quizzes which make cheating easy. If on a paper you copy and paste from the internet passing it off as your own work, she will give a failing grade.

Avoid cheating, it will land you smack dab in the middile of Hell. Right now Satan is having a good chortle about you thinking you can cheat on your homework and avoid him.

God is merciful however. As a general rule, I am not sure things like “grave matter” or what degree of sin are helpful. I find it all rather confusing, and disheartening myself, sometimes making it next to impossible to know what is pleasing to God, and what is hateful to Him.

Cheating is wrong because it is dishonest, and involves lowering your character and integrity to engage in it. Should that not be enough?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.