How 'bout we all stop complaining?

How 'bout we all stop complaining and get down on our knees and start praying? If we humble ourselves before the Lord, who knows how he’ll reward us?

Augustine said: *Grasp the truth of God by using the way he himself provides, since he sees the weakness of our footsteps. That way consists first, of humility, second, of humility, and third, of humility. Unless humility precede, accompany, and follow up all the good we accomplish, unless we keep our eyes fixed on it, pride will snatch everything right out of our hands. *(Letter 118, 22) (emphasis mine)

Brothers and sisters, let us humble ourselves before Almighty God and pray, Pray, PRAY!

:gopray::gopray2::gopray::gopray2: :gopray::gopray2::gopray: :heaven:

I am with you. Too much complaining never achieves anything.
Instead of complaining, pray instead.God sees all and He solves all our problems if we surrender them to Him with humility.

Jesus meek and humble of heart, make our hearts like unto Thine.:heart:

This (acomplaintfreeworld.org/) has really helped me and helped my work to end complaining. It is so much easier to see God when we concentrate on the good and not accentuate the bad.

To complain about something is one thing, to make it one’s life work is another. What I see as dangerous here, on CAF, is that there seem to be many people who only post to complain or begrudge this change or that action. As one who does a lot of pastoral care I’m often left with two concerns.

My first concern is pretty simple. When I see the same name and the same note, a complaint about this or that, I am often worried that the person can be setting himself or herself up to live in a world of anger and resentment. That’s not a healthy place to be. Psychologically and spiritually, it does a great deal of harm. One must always ask himself, “What do I really want? Will this help me be a holier person?”

My second concern is along the same lines, but with a twist. I often see people complain on these threads about things that others are doing or not doing. Maybe it’s me, but I don’t notice all of these things. If they are happening around me, such as when I go to mass, I’m completely oblivious to it. It raises the question in my mind, what are we attending to?

I may have a slight advantage over many people; but it’s very slight indeed. I did go through 10 years of religious formation before making solemn vows. A great deal of that formation was spent on developing interior silence. Interior silence is a necessary disposition for prayer, work, community living and ministry. It helps you focus on what’s in front of you. But I don’t think that mendicants have a monopoly on interior silence. Many lay people have also mastered it in their spiritual lives. One remarkable person that comes to mind is Catherine De Hueck Doherty, the founder of Madonna Apostolate.

I’m wondering if we don’t need to work harder on developing interior silence. There are certainly wrongs in this world that have to be addressed, but complaining doesn’t seem to make them go away. I look at someone like Mother Teresa, Fr. Frank Pavone, and Fr. Benedict Groeschel, these people are true contemplatives in a world that is very confused. They have done their best to address the confusion without becoming whiners. I’ve met all three and they always communicate a sense of peace and joy that is contagious.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF :slight_smile:

Thank you, I have found myself complaining about the complaining… Excellent points.

Dear Brother,

With all due respect, often times what is posted on these threads are meant to be informative. Sharing ideas, thoughts, information, articles and yes, sometimes a begrudge or an inside joke or two. I think that is a healthy thing.

It is difficult to read tone over this medium and if you are not on the same page with an article or comment that is being posted, it is easy to read it as angry.

I agree with you that making “complaining one’s life” is a very dangerous thing, something we should all be on guard about. However, I also think there is a time to share with others who feel the same way, who are happy to have a pope that is listening and yet realizes we have a long way to go.

I understand you converted from Judaism. Mazal tov! And I mean that sincerely. You might be able to appreciate this thought from the Rambam that I learned a while back from an Orthodox Jewish friend. I don’t have the quote in front of me, but basically, Rambam was saying, God made all sorts of different personalities and they are all equally important to work together to bring about God’s kingdom. There are those who are very fast, some slow, some hot tempered, some slothful, some very ambitious, some very bright, some stupid, some extremely humble and others haughty, etc… According to Rambam, God uses all of these different personalities to accomplish His work here on Earth and all are necessary.

Yes, I agree we should all spend plenty of time each day in prayer, but sometimes we need the company of the rest of the flock to lean on. I think of that every time I’m on the 3rd Sorrowful Mystery, how even Our Blessed Lord in His humanity, needed an angel to comfort Him in His moment of agony.

Just my two cents.

+Pax

Moses Maimonides {Rambam) is one of our great Jewish philosophers from the 12th century. I’m surprised that a Gentile Catholic knows him. I say that with high admiration. He did say that. In the same writing he also explained that men were like finger prints, each is unique, but all are necessary to the hand. However, “we must avoid giving preference to one finger, lest we lose the others.” While he recognized individual differences, he also admitted that there is a human tendency to become absorbed by one over the other.

When I speak about interior silence, I’m not speaking about prayer. Of course, everyone must learn to pray. The best way to learn is to actually do it. The greater our interior silence, the higher our level of contemplation. But silence carries over into all areas of life. Allow me to share an anecdote.

Back in the 1980s, I visited the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico City. For those who have not been there, the plaza outside the Basilica is huge. The distance from the curb to the main door is about half the length of a gridiron, maybe longer.

As my superior and I walked across the plaza, I noticed a man walking across the plaza on his knees. He was carrying a child. I was very impressed by his piety. After we left the Basilica, I commented to my superior on what I had seen. He smiled and in his gentle and soft voice he said, “Yes, that was certainly an act of deep faith. However, you have committed a grave sin against silence, because you have violated the rule on how we are to walk through the world: 1) Keep your hands out of sight. 2) We walk. Do not run or dawdle . . . 3) We keep our gaze downward so that our senses do not interfere with our awareness of him who is always with us, instead of everyone around us.” I was horrified. Obviously, that night he commanded me to eat my meal on the floor for my sin. However, I learned a great lesson on how to protect interior silence.

Fraternally,

Uh-oh! You sound like an advocate for the Extraordinary Form of the Mass.:wink:

I’m an advocate for the mass. Under holy obedience, I may not advocate for one form or another. Just as I may not advocate for one rite or another. I am not allowed to have an opinion on this matter other than that which is had by the Holy Father himself, “both are forms of the same Roman rite,” and both are equally holy.

Fraternally,

It was a joke, as one of the arguments in favor of TLM is, it prompts interior silence. Anyway, God’s blessings to you.

Ahhhhhhhhhh . . . a good example of how the written post is does not always communicate the full meaning.

I do believe that environment is helpful. I do not believe that environment is so powerful that we are unable to be silent in the middle of a mall. I remember walking through the streets of the City of Guayaquil, Ecuador in 2000. I was a missionary there. On January 11th there was a take-over of the government. There was rioting on the streets. I had to go to the seminary to teach a class. It was about a 15 minute walk. When I left the house the superior said, “Nothing is happening that requires your attention.” Then he gave me the usual blessing before we left the house. When I arrived at the seminary the seminarians asked me, “Brother, what’s it like out there?” I simply smiled and said, “It’s sunny, just as it was yesterday.”

Fraternally,

And what is this thread? :D:D

Brother slapping ProVobis on the head. :rotfl:
[ATTACH]8623[/ATTACH]

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF

:D:D:D A speed bump in the road, hopefully slowing people down. :D:D:D

I’m reminded of the prayer of Mary Stewart:

Keep us, O God, from all pettiness. Let us be large in thought, in word, in deed.
Let us be done with fault-finding and leave off all self-seeking.
May we put away all pretense and meet each other face to face, without self pity and without prejudice.
May we never be hasty in judgment, and always be generous.
Let us always take time for all things, and make us to grow calm, serene and gentle.
Teach us to put into action our better impulses, to be straightforward and unafraid.
Grant that we may realize that it is the little things of life that create differences,
that in the big things of life, we are as one.

And, O Lord God, let us not forget to be kind!
Amen.

Thank you Brother JR. I often worry about the same thing.

Also, I liked your discussion of interior silence. I’ve never quite understood the concept. Thank you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.