How can a person know that Catholicism is the one true faith?

Let’s say a person who is fairly open minded and spiritually opened to change. Know that Catholicism is the one true faith if it is true ?

I wouldn’t say Catholicism is the one true faith but the most intelligent apologetics than the rest. As long as they believe in the Trinity, the whole story of Jesus, and live good lives then that is all that matters. I think Christians who put relationships before the rules have it right.

For me, the Catholic Church kept popping up in my life. It meant nothing to me at the time, and it is only looking back that I see the thread through my life. Two years ago the Catholic Church was entirely off my radar. It all comes down to the way we respond to the calling of God, in our open mindedness, more important, in our seeking Him. I was unfortunately stubborn, resistant, I failed to see, I was dumb, I was a moron, but God did not give up on me, he gives up on noone. There is no formula for knowing that the Catholic Church is the one true faith. It is something that can only be experienced, something you will only realize through the subtle hand of God leading you in the way only He can.

It has happened to my wife too, but she is still non-Catholic protestant. Out of the blue she is suddenly confronted by Catholic, little episodes after little episodes in her life, but she doesn’t yet understand why. It has happened to her so many times in the last year, more so in this last year than the last 40 years of her life.

I suggest that you take this as a model

35 The next day John was there again with two of his disciples,
36 and as he watched Jesus walk by, he said, “Behold, the Lamb of God.”
37 The two disciples heard what he said and followed Jesus.
38 Jesus turned and saw them following him and said to them, “What are you looking for?” They said to him, “Rabbi” (which translated means Teacher), “where are you staying?”
39 He said to them, “Come, and you will see.” So they went and saw where he was staying, and they stayed with him that day. It was about four in the afternoon.
40 Andrew, the brother of Simon Peter, was one of the two who heard John and followed Jesus.
41 He first found his own brother Simon and told him, “We have found the Messiah”

John 1:35-41

The disciples of John listened to what he said about Jesus but to find out more they took the time and trouble to spend time with Him themselves and He invited them to spend more. After they had done so they went out to convert others. And so with the Church, faith is not simply an intellectual assent to a series of propositions (although that is necessary) it is a lived experience. To accept the faith of the Church you must in some measure live the faith of the Church not merely think about it.

Having said which you could read my blog which tends to address some of the deeper issues of faith.

An excellent question - often asked - but with a somewhat problematic flaw…
If one can “know” then there is no “faith”.

With that in mind, and given the fact that we ARE talking about faith, all of the answers you get to your question will likely fall short of “knowing”.

So OK - here is my 2 cents…
Having accepted the Truth of Jesus’ resurrection and the hope it offers to us, which is the best church (ekklesia) to be in?
For me the answer must be the one that is the most consistent and the most biblical. The one that has the longest and best “pedigree” so to speak. The one most consistent in it’s teaching. That boils down to being the Catholic Church.

Sorry I can’t be more explicit right now…I’m out the door…:choocho:

Peace
James

If you have Gods word (the Bible) you read it, absorb it, and you sincerely try to be the reflection of Jesus Christ, even when we fail and fall short we still go to God, to ask for forgiveness and go and fix your wrong if you can, if you can’t fix it God expects us to really work toward not repeating our wrong and sins. God knows when we really try and the difference between when we are just working our faith on the out side with no sign of growing in Christ reflection. When you have God on the inside working in your life daily, that is the one true faith. I went to many Churches in my life time. I am 63 and joined the Catholic Church this last April. Like the dove that Noah released to find dry ground, she found no rest for the soul of her foot. But when I came to the Catholic Church, I was drawn here by much praying and longing to be a part of a place That embraces God, Jesus Christ, and got to learn about how important Blessed Mary Mother of our Lord Jesus Christ, the role she was greatly a part of in her life time, her importance she holds in heaven and her loving care for us still today she pours out to Jesus prayers for us, as the Saints in heaven love and care for us, praying for us, and Gods ministering angels He sends to our aid sometimes saving our lives, and all of Gods heavenly Kingdom who participates in aiding us while we are on earth was more than I even knew about until I came here. I wanted to find out for myself and came with a broken heart. If I was the only one here at the Catholic Church I can only sum this up by saying about this Church is "You lowered a bucket down into the days of my despair and raised me up to the light of day. Peace and love be with you my friends. Forever in Christ Jesus.

To me a big one is that it’s so logical, even being raised in a nominal Protestant home Catholicism the only Christian religion that makes sense to me. The other ones have watered down theology, are contradictory, or just kind of crazy. Most people will tell you that Catholicism actually makes no sense, but these are the people who think that we worship the Virgin Mary, that we believe purgatory is a “waiting room”, and that we think the Pope is like God on earth. When you really dive into Catholic doctrine, it just all fits together and is logical

Well said.
Mary.

Here is my take on it as a converted Protestant to Catholicism, and I say this as the guy who questions everything.

There is NOTHING in the Bible that contradicts ANY of the teachings of the Catholic Church.

There is NOTHING in the teachings of the Catholic Church that contradicts ANYTHING in the Bible.

I have asked MANY questions of or about the Church. I have found a logical, scripture based answer to ALL of them.

It was only logical that I convert.

This is my conversion story

This is my apologetics project to evangelize the truth.

It is all based on reasoned, logical conclusions. To me it says "How can you NOT know that Catholicism is the original, true Church of Jesus Christ?"

I don’t think you can know it is the one true faith in terms of proving it without a doubt to anyone and everyone. My experience has been that I do know it because the logic of it convinced me and the Holy Spirit convinced me, and all rather suddenly out of nowhere. I can’t prove it, but I know it. And I’m quite annoyed by that because I don’t want to be Catholic. I’ve even had a few conversations with God lately that go something like this, “Catholic? Really? Why Catholic? That can’t possibly be right. I don’t want to be a Catholic. Are You sure about this? Really? But…Darn it.”

I suppose my advice would be to study it with an open mind. Learn what the Catholic Church teaches and why it teaches that. But as my mother always said, don’t keep your mind so open that your brain falls out. When you find the truth, you need to close your mind to other things.

The Necessity of Being Catholic
by James Akin
chnetwork.org/journals/nesschurch/ness_7.htm

A bit long but worth EVERY minute. :yup:

I believe a person has to look for truth. They are thirsty for God. They want to know just what God wants of them and have made up their mind to pursue God wherever that takes them.

Sometimes this happens when a person is not satisfied with the christianity they have already tried. There seems to be too many inconsistencies or holes that are not filled in. It isn’t that the people aren’t good, but that the teaching just simply leaves something to be desired.

There are those who don’t care about the teachings as such. If they don’t like one teaching they just ignore it and go on anyway, figuring that one church’s teaching is about as good as another, and they all have their good points and bad points. So they just live with it week to week.

But those that want the truth and are unhappy until they find it, then they are prime for being Catholic.
Because as TeenageConvert said above, the catholic theology makes sense and all the pieces fit.

I believe this is what made Marcus Grody start his search for Catholocism, by seeing the holes in his own theology.

And this seems to explain why catholics leave the church and join others. They think they see holes in the Catholic church that someone else pointed out as “proved” by the bible. So being uninformed about their own faith, they subsequently leave.

However with others it is about emotion. They are looking more to feel motivated and to receive an emotional push. So for them it isn’t about truth but rather good feeling and what it does for them.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

no truer words was ever spoken. You said it so well. God bless you my friend. I joined the Catholic Church April 2014

I like what you said. Just put to test each catholic doctrine and scripture as well as the early church fathers will back it up.

One of the greatest Catholic Scholars of the day is Scott Hahn who had your same attitude. As most of us know, Scott was a Bible thumping anti Catholic Presbyterian minister who was studying the Catholic faith to PROVE that it was wrong. And as we know, that study led him to the inescapable conclusion that it fact, the Catholic faith was RIGHT!

His real moment of truth came when he “sneaked into” a Catholic mass ready to take notes about all the pagan rituals being performed and discovered to his own chagrin, that everything he heard was right out of the Bible that he previously had used to try and disprove Catholicism.

As I said before… be not afraid. And get some Scott Hahn CD’s and listen to his conversion story. If that doesn’t convince you, then… well, get some more and listen carefully!

Get a copy of his book “Rome sweet Home”. It will be a life changer.

How can they NOT know it #[FONT=Arial]34[/FONT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.