How can a woman validly marry when the man is not baptized?

I have a co-worker who was raised Catholic, and through her formative years received the Sacraments of First Reconcilliation, First Holy Communion, and Confirmation. She got married to a (non-baptized) non-Catholic by a justice of the peace. I know that her marriage is not valid by the Church. She has asked me what she needs to do to make her marriage valid. I know that convalidation is the thing to do, but the problem resides in the fact that her husband is not baptized. What can she do to begin to restore herself to a state of Grace? Thank you for your precious time and consideration!

God Bless You!

Gordon

Dear Gordon,

The fact that her husband is not baptized does not mean that she canot have her marriage convalidated. The marriage will not be sacramental, but it will be valid in the eyes of the Church. Should he be baptized sometime in the future, the marraige would then become sacramental as well.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.