How can i as a Catholic answer to these anti creation memes?

How can i as a Catholic answer to this anti creation memes?
The memes are these 2 pictures :
funcage.com/photos/titanic_vs_noahs_%20ark.jpg AND the-militant-atheist.org/images/ark-dino.jpg . What should i as a Catholic say about these memes?

There’s nothing much really to say to these attacks, other than that they’re based on a fundamentalist reading of the text which doesn’t necessarily apply to Catholicism.

Why do you need to?

Personally, if I felt compelled to answer them, I would do so by privately paying for the people who created them and those who pass it on. There will always be people who mock what they do not understand. Life is too short to leap at everything and the one thing I have learned (and forget sometimes) is that I am not called or required to enter into dialogue with everyone.

If this is something that people send or share with you on Facebook, you could block the source of the meme. I come across things like this when searching online and I pray, glaze my eyes and scroll away.

Exactly and there are many more churches that do not claim literal interpretation either.

You don’t really need to. Serious Christians have understood many of the Old Testament stories to be allegorical/not literal for centuries. This isn’t some brilliant atheist “gotcha.”

There is no point in arguing with meaningless slogans and memes. The authors are either joking or have already decided that Genesis is false, and will always look for an intepretation that shows our religion false. Don’t waste your time.

If these memes emotionally bother you, like Pianoist mentioned, I recommend reflecting on why, and looking to correct it, especially through prayer and study. If you have any specific questions on an element of these memes that you feel might truthfully describe the story of Noah, many of us would be happy to discuss them with you :slight_smile:

Christi pax.

Does that include those who persist in a fundamental literalist interpretation of scripture?

Of course it is a gotcha. The Bible is obviously a bunch of lies. You Christians are just trying to rationalize your bronze age mythology!

:rolleyes:

Christi pax.

Say nothing, it’s not worth your breath…

As to the second picture: that’s not an argument, it’s a cartoon. They might as well draw Bugs Bunny on the Ark and then demand that Christians explain his presence.

I would firstly challenge their invented stats. Don’t let THEM tell you what the bible says.
And the bible doesn’t state the absolute number of animals on the Ark - or their age or size.

Nextly you could also remind them that the Titanic was designed by men whereas the Ark was designed by God. Which one sank?

The Noachian Flood account in Genesis is quite defensible if you want to offer an apologetic reply to these canards.

Yeah, thats not an argument that is going to convince anyone.

To be honest, it’s difficult *not * to be literal about some of the Noah and the Ark stuff. It does, after all, offer exact measurements of the boat, levels of rainfall etc. Not quite the same as the fairly lyrical overview of all of creation in a chapter. Although that is more literally defensible than a lot of people may believe…

…but I bet the Ark is defensible on a more or less literal level anyway. There certainly are evidences of cataclysmic, prehistoric floods…

Actually before I even finish the post, I’ve just reread it and changed my mind. It’s also quite lyrical. Measurements of the boat, rainfall etc. *could * be symbolic of something or other than simple physics… hmm, actually, maybe it could be more metaphor and symbolism to some degree than it appears on a simple reading. :hmmm:

Uphill battle. Ignore them and pray for the atheists - as they will know the truth soon enough.

You could quote Jesus’ words to them:

But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. (Matthew 24:37–39)

As Jesus teaches us, there was a lot of sin in the days before Noah entered the ark, but the flood swept the wicked away to Hell. So also will happen to all those who mock the Sacred Word of God and create juvenile cartoons to defend their unbelief.

That may work.

Actually, Christ is simply mentioning the story of Noah in the Old Testament. That isn’t tacit acknowledgment of its literal truth. He mentioned it because it is something that the Jews would be familiar with.

Laugh it off, pray for those who do not believe.

“My God, I believe, I adore, I hope and I love You; I ask pardon for all those who do not believe, do not adore, do not hope and do not love You.”

Yeah, thats not an argument that is going to convince anyone.
[/quote]

Yes it will.
The meme says Ark versus Titanic.
Which one would you rather be on?

He is more than simply mentioning it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.