How can I be Christian and Gay?

Hi my name is Stephen. I am 18 years old and I am quite strong in my Catholic faith. There’s just one thing holding me back from giving myself fully to Christ.

Last year I attended Steubenville of the Rockies and I had a hard time opening up to God because I thought that God had shunned me out and that I didn’t stand a chance at having eternal life because of my orientation. So I prayed to God in hope for him to send me a message that weekend, so that I would know he still loves me despite any wrong I had done.

After the whole retreat the message I recieved was “You are my son, with whom I’m well pleased” and that was the greatest thing I could ever hear! So I got very close to God and active in church and at school with my faith. I enjoy it very much, but still this one thing is standing in the way: my homosexuality.

What do we as Catholics believe? Is homosexuality even a sin because Jesus never mentioned it as a sin in the Bible? I have read in the bible and it said “If a man shall lie with another man as he would a woman, then his head shall be cut off and his blood shall lie on his hands.” I don’t know about you but I do not picture my God EVER saying that about any sinner :nope:! I don’t believe that our lord has ever spoken about homosexuality being a sin, so how do we know it is a sin?

Thanks for your time!
Stephen

Stephen,

I am happy to hear of your positive response to the many graces God has given you. I’ve included the first link below to answer your questions of what we believe and why we believe it, and I’ve also included some links to answer how we support and respect those with same-sex attraction. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

From the Catholic Answers Library:
Homosexuality

Recommended Reading for those suffering from SSA:
I am a homosexual–am I a Catholic?
What is the role of a homosexual person in the Catholic Church?
Is homosexuality a sin even if you do not perform the act?
How can I confess my sins if I know I am a lifelong homosexual?

On the Church’s teachings concerning SSA:
Homosexuality
What was the early Church’s position on homosexuality?
Couldn’t the Church change its mind about homosexuality?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.