How can I cope with the stress from the need to overachieve?

stress to overachieve in what i do to the point that my life is like a living hell… what do i in order to avoid being caught up worrying about my future and ambitions? i feel that only success is the ticket to freedom… :frowning:

Dear c,

We were not created for any kind of success for which there is a ticket. We were created for union with our Source.

Gratitude is the check for ambition. Ambition is all about me. Gratitude is all about the other and ultimately about the Other. What good do you have that did not come from God?

It is no wonder that your life is a living hell if you are caught up with personal ambition. Hell is all about me. Heaven is all about Him.

Your only problem is that you have the wrong goal. If your goal is only personal success, even if you succeed you fail. How much personal success do you think Blessed (Mother) Teresa was driven by? Her goal was to love God and to love Him in the poorest of the poor. The saints are the ONLY role models worth emulating.

Go before the Lord in the Blessed Sacrament and place your life completely in His hands—no strings attached. If you think that you can’t do this, then ask Him to make up for whatever is lacking in your gesture. He not only will put you where He wants you to be, He will give you the peace of which you have been robbed by ambition.

Write again after you have done this and let us know how He has given you peace. You are in my prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.