How can i get back to Confession, if im not sure im sorry?

I am not sure that i am sorry or want to change, how do i get started?

Um…i suggest you see your priest. Set up an appt

Ask yourself why you want to go to confession at all. That will help you work out whether you are sorry for what you did. If you want to go simply because you fear God, that is sufficient in terms of sorrow. You need to work through your attitude towards change, but again if your motive for wanting to change is simply fear of God, that is sufficient.

Okay - here’s the thing. Just going to confession can make a person want to change, especially if you’re able to admit to yourself - and then to God - what you are doing.

Try imagining yourself in Hell and think about what that would be like to spend eternity there. Imagine how sorry you will be at the end of your life if you didn’t bother going.

I would suggest going to confession and confessing the above…

I think this will likely lead to a very interesting conversation.

Peace
James

Is there a sin here that needs confession?

I would say - yes there is…

If one feels the need to go to confession - but feels restrained by a lack of true repentance…there must be sin behind it…

Peace
James

My dilema: when going to Confession i am not sure i am really sorry. I suffer from scrupulosity by the way. And when i go i think “am i really sorry?” “Do i have the intent of doing these things again?” And sometimes i go just out of fear of Hell…

Firstly, talk to your regular confessor.

Secondly, fear of hell is sufficient sorrow for a good confession.

Please don’t misunderstand. I’m going to ask a question or two, but it’s only because I need help in this area.

Are you saying a person should confess a sin, even though one is not guilty? I think I see your reasoning; that the person above should confess not knowing he’s sorry, because that might open the door to the real sin.

But what I’m asking is: the person is confessing to nothing, if there is no sin in not knowing if he’s sorry. Do you follow what I’m asking?

All the more reason to bring this up to your confessor…
Since you suffer from Scruples…it is very necessary that you be guided in these matters by a one or two people and not by a whole gaggle such as one finds on a public forum.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I am always reminded of the proverb that, “Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom…”

Peace
James

I have this trouble sometimes and I just confess the very fact that “My heart is not yet converted” with regard to such and such. Pray that God will change your heart. You are not specific about what sin you’re not sorry about, so maybe it *is *a function of your scrupulosity and not a sin at all. Mine is actually a sin and I put myself into God’s mercy hoping for conversion.

OK…but I am no expert…

Are you saying a person should confess a sin, even though one is not guilty?

If one is not guilty then there is no sin…so no confession is necessary.
However - this is not what the OP is asking about. She knows she has sinned…but is not sure if she is sorry for the sin. This is certainly something that can be and should be discussed with one’s confessor.

I think I see your reasoning; that the person above should confess not knowing he’s sorry, because that might open the door to the real sin.

The OP is not sure she is sorry - what is she not sure she is sorry for???
The way I read this is that she sinned (definitely) but is not sure if she is really sorry for committing the sin…The door to sin is already open…

But what I’m asking is: the person is confessing to nothing, if there is no sin in not knowing if he’s sorry. Do you follow what I’m asking?

You seem focused on the issue of being sorry…
I’m focused on the issue of what is she “not sorry” for (yet feel the need to go to confession)

Perhaps the problem lies in how I communicated originally - in saying to go and confess what she said in her OP…It would have been better if had said, "God to confession and tell the priest this…

Peace
James

:thumbsup: as far as i can see, you have the right idea

Sounds like a plan to me. :thumbsup:

Glad this is helpful…

So go and speak with your confessor about this.

Peace
James

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.