How can I grow in a deeper love for Mass?

I wanted to know how I can deepen my desire to want mass and to have a deeper love for it! (I attend TLM btw)

Go to the TLM if you can.

2 Likes

Learning about the deeper meaning behind the mass can certainly help. Resources such as “The Veil Removed film” on YouTube can help, “The Lamb’s Supper” by Scott Hahn and this series can youtube can help https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIEHvf1_M4UvQIeqw0LI6m-ahSS5jqjDZ

You are reminding me of my conversion. I went to confession once and confessed that I found the Mass boring. The priest told me to pray for a love of the Mass. That sounded crazy to me.

So I sat there in the pew thinking about it. I came to realize that I did not love the Mass because I did not love God. And I did not love God because I did not know God. That was a revelation. So I said to God, 'I cannot love you unless I know you. And I cannot know you unless you show me who you are. Please show me who you are."

From that moment onward everything changed.

3 Likes

I attend TLM only, no Novus ordo!

AMEN! What a powerful witness.

To the OP, take @Shakuhachi’s advise. Focus on growing in your relationship with God. As you grow in knowledge and love for Him, you’ll also grow in love for the Mass in either Form or according to any Rite.

And if you want some great reading material, I recommend Scott Hahn’s The Lamb’s Supper and Brant Pitre’s Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Mass.

1 Like

I highly recommend reading The Traditional Latin Mass Explained by Dom Prosper Gueranger.

He explains everything the priest does during Mass and why. I learned so much for reading this book.

Another thing you might try is to put your missal down and just watch the priest. It’s amazing how many insights you may receive from doing that.

1 Like

Mt 7:7 “Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.” Jesus has said it; trust and confide in him, he does not turn a deaf ear to our supplications.

The Holy Mass is so rich in detail, depth, meaning, history, tradition, symbolism, etc. that research and study alone will afford insight that may take your awe, reverence, and appreciation to the next level.

1 Like

You could ask the intercession of some saints ,read about their love of the mass.When I’m at mass I remember St Anthony,Padre Pio among others and ask them to pray for us there,for us to really comprehend what is taking place .

I’ve never experienced a traditional Latin Mass, but… I used to attend a Spanish Mass with my wife & kids (& her whole family). It helped me to read through the readings & prayers before hand. Even though I didn’t understand the words spoken, I knew what was happening & was able to participate.

Especially the prayers. Learn the prayers. They’re pretty standard from one Mass to the next. Weekdays are the same. Sundays are the same every Sunday.

& reciting the Chaplet of Divine Mercy really hits home. For me, that’s the “Why we go to Mass.”

Learn more about the TLM. My recommendations:

The Incredible Catholic Mass:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.