How can I help my friend?

This is probably the wrong place to post this but I’m going to give it a try.

Today my friend posted something on his facebook about his beliefs. He used to be very Christian but this recent post makes me think he’s changed. What he says doesnt sound right to me and I’m hoping someone here can help give me ideas of what to say to him. Im worried about him but I dont want to offend him. Heres what he said:

*"It seems recently, that everyone from strangers on the bus to family and friends want to discuss beliefs and religion. I’ve found it tough to explain my position to people with out them thinking I’m “lost” or “struggling”. I don’t pretend to have it all figured out but, I am in-fact rather content with my thoughts and feeling on the matter. Here’s the best I can do for now to explain it.

I Believe

…that the universe, as a whole, is God. It was once an infinitely dense point of proto-matter, that became stars & galaxies which made the elements as they clustered & burned. Those elements then became us. We are proof that the universe has evolved a consciousness, but mankind is only big enough to look out & understand just how small we are. We are inherently limited to our own senses, emotions & experiences. As separate & individual as every human is, we cannot help but feel isolated & alone. So, many seek comfort in the thought that there must be a greater being watching over us; a consciousness with more power to change the universe than we have. The idea of someone with a plan, to blame or to praise, it offers solace & security. But, we fail to see that we are only labeling our own sense of morality with this name “God” & this gender “He”.

It is conceivable that, in such an infinite universe, there is a being greater than ourselves, but perhaps we are the beginning. Perhaps God has yet to evolve. Once it does, if it is able to control time & space, then it is, as though God always was. It is inconceivable to me though, that any such being could be much at all like a limited creature such as a human.

Fretting over this & trying to define “God’s will” is destructive because it not only creates conflict, it detracts from being able to see that empathy & compassion can allow us to go beyond our limitations as individuals. Altruism, Compassion, Unconditional Love, Personal Responsibility; these are God. To look elsewhere is folly. Worshiping God in anyway, except by showing all these traits to every soul we meet, is folly.

With a global focus on caring for each other & our planet, we would achieve something mythical. If everyone takes care of everyone else, then everyone is taken care of. It’s a simple concept that our jaded & selfish race will probably not practice for many millennia, sadly. To share the world & its bountiful resources, to share all of mankind’s knowledge & ideas with all of mankind, would allow ascension into an era of evolution for human beings. Technology, Medicine, The Arts, Agriculture, Knowledge, Space Travel, & Mankind’s very place in existence would all have potential we can hardly dream of.

As it was once a large part of my life, and still is a large part of the lives of family and friends, I will touch for a moment on Christianity specifically. I accepted Christ as my Lord and Savior 10 years ago during a New Years Eve Watch Night service at Harvest Baptist Church. Dec 31st 1999, I decided that I hadn’t truly accepted Christ as my Savior and needed to do so. In tears I approached a friend and we went in a room and prayed together as I accepted Jesus into my heart. Many things have changed since that night and I no longer attend church. However, as stated in John 10:29, “My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand.” Salvation is eternal and though it may not seem so to others, I have not lost my savior, I simply chose to worship him differently. I no longer see the Bible as literally as I once did, but still have every copy I’ve owned because I cannot bring myself to get rid of them. I see the word now, as a loose historical document passed through many languages and many hands. I also still see much of it as a sound moral compass.

And so, if you must have a statement of faith, a definition of what I believe. I can claim only the same thing that no one can deny; I am a child of this universe. Beyond that I can’t even know that what I see is true. To be a unique and remarkable sliver of this cosmos (as every sentient being is) & to have a place in its grand history and future is enough for me.

Some might feel I’m saying they’re wrong for what they believe, If you believe in being good to your fellow humans, we are in agreement. It doesn’t matter what you call it. We will all fail along the way sometimes, even in something that should be as simple as loving thy neighbor."*

Stereotypical New Age thinking, they are worshiping the created, not the creator. God is NOT the universe, he just created it. People along this line of thinking always end up thinking since God is all things, material and otherwise, this also includes them, they then proclaim that they are God and everybody is God. It's self worship in it's clearest form....

If your friend likes books, perhaps you could share some Chesterton or other writers that paint Christian beliefs in their books but not using an "in your face" manner.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.