How Can I Help The Poor Souls In Purgatory?

I want to help the poor souls in purgatory. These souls suffer terribly and cannot do anything to help themselves. They are being purified so that they can eventually enter heaven, and I want to help them. I have heard it said that we can pray for the holy souls and that we can gain indulgences for them. What is the best way to help the Poor Souls?

I often think that the time may come when I will have to suffer in purgatory and make reparation for my sins. When that time comes, I will not be able to help myself and I hope that the members of the Church Militant will help me. This is why I want to help the souls of purgatory.

On Aug 16, 1969 in San Damiano, Italy, Our Lady asked that we pray the following prayers or the poor souls and that if we pray these prayers we will "deliver so many souls, so many souls!"

"Pray 5 Apostles Creed; 1 Hail Holy Queen; 1 Our Father; 1 Hail Mary; 1 Glory Be; 1 Requiem; Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them, and may they rest in peace. Amen"

ALSO;

Our Lord showed St. Gertrude the Great that the following prayer would release a vast number of souls from purgatory each time it is said:

"Eternal Father, I offer to thee the most precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Sous of purgatory.** Amen"
This was approved by His Eminence the Cardinal Partiarch of Lisbon, April 2, 1936.

Additionally the above prayer was extended to include the living sinners by adding

". . . . ** for sinners eveywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family, Amen"

St John Vianney once said: "The good God will render us back the good we do for them (poor souls) a hundred fold."

You are wise to pray for the souls of Purgatory.

Yes we should pray for the souls in Puragtory but the part I highlighted is NOT a Church teaching. No matter how much we pray we do not know or determine how many are released from Purgatory or when. God alone decides who is released and when.

If you want to help the poor souls, I suggest the prayer of St. Gertrude as said above.

Also, there is a book called the Raccolta of Indulgences, which the Church puts out which outlines the prayers which are indulgenced by the church, what the indulgences are, e.g. Plenary or Partial, etc. It also explains the usual expectations of what to do to gain an indulgence, which is generally to go to Mass and receive the Eucharist on the same day and go to the sacrament of Reconciliation within a short time of the prayer or good work.

Offer the indulgences gained for the poor souls. This merciful offering, which you could have applied to your own soul has the possibility of releasing a poor soul. Offer it for them.

Here is an example of what the raccolta looks like(there are a few prints). I would get the one that follows the 1999 indulgence manual change, or the most recent reprint.

Indulgences yes, by all means, and don't forget also to offer up Masses.

The fullest way to help those in purgatory is the "heroic act of charity."

newadvent.org/cathen/07292b.htm

Briefly, you offer up all your satisfactions for the benefit of those in purgatory - meaning you will spend more time in purgatory yourself, though God may remit some of your suffering in his mercy. I felt a calling to do this as a way of imitating Christ on his Cross.

In addition to prayers, you can also offer up any sacrifice throughout your day. It could be in the form of anything that comes along and bugs you. Whenever you are tried in patience or in pain think upon the Poor Souls and ask God to accept this sacrifice for them.

When offering up sacrifices we should keep in mind Jesus’ sacrifice, for all sacrifices of love and submitted in a humble spirit stem from this one.

Could be fasting or giving up some other form of entertainment for a specified period of time. Or other circumstantial elements you might encounter throughout the day such as hot metal objects on a sunny day. i have a foot that cramps up periodically, sometimes without warning. Instead of fighting this, i endure it for the minute or so and offer it up for the Poor Souls. You can also offer up resisting to scratch any itch that arises, etc.

Once the soul is separated from the body, the soul desires to see God and nothing more. Hold your breath until you must gasp for air. Just as you desire air in that moment, so the souls of Purgatory desire to see God always.

Call upon God’s Mercy to shine upon the most forgotten soul in Purgatory and ask God to grant them some relief from their suffering, if only for a moment.

[quote="Dempsey1919, post:1, topic:180377"]
I want to help the poor souls in purgatory. These souls suffer terribly and cannot do anything to help themselves. They are being purified so that they can eventually enter heaven, and I want to help them. I have heard it said that we can pray for the holy souls and that we can gain indulgences for them. What is the best way to help the Poor Souls?

I often think that the time may come when I will have to suffer in purgatory and make reparation for my sins. When that time comes, I will not be able to help myself and I hope that the members of the Church Militant will help me. This is why I want to help the souls of purgatory.

[/quote]

For myself, I have bought every book and CD published by Susan Tassone

susantassone.com/

I use her "Morning Offering for the poor Souls". I have made the Heroic Act Of Charity, at her request. And don't forget the daily Rosery and daily Divine Mercy chaplet, with intentions for the poor souls. If you do the Divine Office, on ferial days you can recite the Office For The Dead. :crossrc:

Buy those books by Susan. Outstanding value and information.:thumbsup:

just a question…is this approved by the Church?

For myself, I have bought every book and CD published by Susan Tassone

susantassone.com/

I use her “Morning Offering for the poor Souls”. I have made the Heroic Act Of Charity, at her request. And don’t forget the daily Rosery and daily Divine Mercy chaplet, with intentions for the poor souls. If you do the Divine Office, on ferial days you can recite the Office For The Dead.

Buy those books by Susan. Outstanding value and information.
just a question…is this approved by the Church?

I assume it is. My copies of Susan Tassone’s books have a picture of her and her works being blessed by Pope John Paul II on the back of them.

[quote="JS_Cortez, post:10, topic:180377"]
I assume it is. My copies of Susan Tassone's books have a picture of her and her works being blessed by Pope John Paul II on the back of them.

[/quote]

"Is the Pope Catholic?" :D

theres a really cool site

missionbell.homestead.com/Afavourgrantedbytheholysouls.html

that is full of stories submitted by regular people who have prayed for and to the holy souls to obtain a much needed favour...its one of my favourite sites:D and there is prayers on there too for the holy souls..well worth checking out..i have it bookmarked:p

So when we pray for the Holy Souls, they "return the favour" (for want of a better term) by praying for our needs in return?

I want to have a special devotion to the Holy Souls, so I'm very interested in how those works.

Basically, they're not a Saint so they can't pray for you, but once released from purgatory they pray in turn for you and you received grace immediately for your honest prayers? Is that how it works?

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread. :) Got many questions.

Basically, they’re not a Saint so they can’t pray for you, but once released from purgatory they pray in turn for you and you received grace immediately for your honest prayers? Is that how it works?

Actually, of what I understand, they can pray for you but not for themselves. However, once they get out they will most certainly pray for you, thankful for your help. I mean, if someone freed you from prison and managed to get you to paradise, wouldn’t you do everything in your power to try to bring that person to paradise, meet them and thank them in person?

Can someone tell me what “Requiem” means? thanks

actually they can pray for us while they are still in purgatory…

this link should help you learn more
missionbell.homestead.com/Afavourgrantedbytheholysouls.html

[quote="JS_Cortez, post:14, topic:180377"]
Actually, of what I understand, they can pray for you but not for themselves. However, once they get out they will most certainly pray for you, thankful for your help. I mean, if someone freed you from prison and managed to get you to paradise, wouldn't you do everything in your power to try to bring that person to paradise, meet them and thank them in person?

[/quote]

That's very true, makes a lot more sense how you explain it - thanks. :)

Thank you very much for the link. I have “Handbook of Devotion to the Holy Souls in Purgatory” by my desk also which I keep referring to. I also own a special Holy Souls rosary. I have my armoury ready, basically :slight_smile:

i have those too:D

Could somebody tell me about the Purgatory Chaplet? I just felt drawn to it when I saw the pic…I am also thinking that one day I might wish that somebody prayed for my soul. :blush: Unfortunately Carmelite sisters whom make these do not have the information about how to pray this posted online.

sistersofcarmel.com/purgatory-chaplet-535.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.