How can I offer God's Son back to God?

hi,
in the divine mercy we say " I offer you the body, blood, soul, and divinity of your dearly beloved son our lord". How can I offer God his son when God offered him to us?

Dear jimn,

It is only because God offered His son on our behalf that we can offer His Son back to Him. We are reminded of this whenever we end a prayer with the words: “through Christ, our Lord, Amen.”

Jesus is our way of praying to the Father. We had better pray through His Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity! When we say that we are offering His Son in this way, we are praying to the Father through the Son. It’s a prayer we could never have initiated on our own. But through His passion and death He has become our prayer. At Mass when the priest says: “Through Him, with Him and in Him in the unity of the Holy Spirit, all glory and honor is yours Almighty Father, for ever and ever.” and we say “Amen.” we are doing the same thing. This is what His passion has done for us!

This is why we can say: Happy Easter!

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.