How can I stop my friend from teaching a bible study at my church?

I have a friend who has volunteered to teach a high school bible study class at our church. My friend disagrees with several church teachings including the Immaculate Conception of Mary and her perpetual virginity. She also thinks that it is fine for Catholics to receive communion at protestant churches.

Another person and I have confronted her and explained the church teaching on these issues. She says that she understands the church teachings but thinks they are wrong.

Although I hate confrontation, I am concerned that my friend is not the best candidate to teach this class and think I should discuss this matter with our pastor. Can you give me any direction in the way of church documents or teaching that will help support my case when I discuss it with him.

I’m sorry that your friend refuses to hear you. She’s probably a caring and well-intentioned person, but she’s just not qualified to teach. Pray for her. In Catechesi Tradendae, the Holy Father says,

“Whatever be the level of his responsibility in the Church, every catechist must constantly endeavor to transmit by his teaching and behavior the teaching and life of Jesus. He will not seek to keep directed towards himself and his personal opinions and attitudes the attention and the consent of the mind and heart of the person he is catechizing. Above all, he will not try to inculcate his personal opinions and options as if they expressed Christ’s teaching and the lessons of His life.

Every catechist should be able to apply to himself the mysterious words of Jesus: “My teaching is not mine, but his who sent me.” St. Paul did this when he was dealing with a question of prime importance: “I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you.”(14) What assiduous study of the word of God transmitted by the Church’s magisterium, what profound familiarity with Christ and with the Father, what a spirit of prayer, what detachment from self must a catechist have in order that he can say: “My teaching is not mine!”

For this reason,” the *General Directory for Catechesis * says, “there cannot be teachers of the faith other than those who are convinced and faithful disciples of Christ and his Church.”

I will be praying.

James 3:17: But the wisdom from above is first of all pure, then peaceable, gentle, compliant, full of mercy and good fruits, without inconstancy or insincerity.

Church documentation on catechesis:

Catechesi Tradendae

[

General Directory for Catechesis](http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cclergy/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_17041998_directory-for-catechesis_en.html)

Catechism of the Catholic Church

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.