How can i stop using Lord's name in vain?

I try not to do it but sometimes i just can't help it. I was used to speaking Lord's name in vain constantly but that has changed and it is really hard for me to stop completely. "thank God" is the most common. I can't stop it completely. How to stop?

I wouldint consider “thank god” as in vein SO LONG as you mean what you are saying.

However, with all your other missuse of His holy name I suggest that EVERY TIME you say it… you make a promise to Him to say a divine mercy chaplet for poor sinners (or something like that…don’t go crazy…do something that you can do…maybe for the first week you’ll say an our father for sinners so you don’t kill yourself).

Also …once a day until you break this problem …say the litany of the holy name. This will help you be more mindful of the power, glory and awesomeness of the holy name of God throughout your day (I suggest saying it in the morning). Keep in mind that His name has POWER. He slowly revealed His name to us…by revealing his name he began a relationship with us. By revealing his name, he has permitted us to call to Him…it’s of no small thing.(a name used to tell you who that person WAS) . In the old testament the punishment for using the lords name in vein was to be stoned to death!

Description:

This beautiful litany is over five centuries in use by the faithful, having been composed by the celebrated preachers of the Holy Name, the Franciscan friars SS. Bernardine of Siena and John Capistran (see Binterim: Denkwurdigkeiten, IV, I, 597; cited by Mershman in Catholic Encyc., ix, 290). As early as 1585 Pope Sixtus V, on appeal of the Carmelites, attached an indulgence of 300 days for recitation of this litany, an implied recognition of its public use. It was not however until 1862 that Pope Pius IX approved one of the several formularies in use, for those dioceses whose ordinaries had made special request; finally in 1886 Pope Leo XIII extended the public and solemn use of this litany to the world. According to the official Preces et Pia Opera, No. 89, it is now enriched with an idulgence of seven years, a Plenary under ordinary conditions, if said daily together with the prayer, for one month.

Prayer:

Litany of the Most Holy Name of Jesus

Lord, have mercy.
Christ, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.
Jesus, hear us.
Jesus, graciously hear us.

God, the Father of Heaven, have mercy on us .
God the Son, Redeemer of the world, have mercy on us.
God, the Holy Spirit, have mercy on us.
Holy Trinity, one God, have mercy on us.
Jesus, Son of the living God, have mercy on us.
Jesus, Splendor of the Father, have mercy on us.
Jesus, Brightness of eternal Light, have mercy on us.
Jesus, King of Glory, have mercy on us.
Jesus, Sun of Justice, have mercy on us.
Jesus, Son of the Virgin Mary, have mercy on us.
Jesus, most amiable, have mercy on us.
Jesus, most admirable, have mercy on us.
Jesus, the mighty God, have mercy on us.
Jesus, Father of the world to come, have mercy on us.
Jesus, angel of great counsel, have mercy on us.
Jesus, most powerful, have mercy on us.
Jesus, most patient, have mercy on us.
Jesus, most obedient, have mercy on us.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, have mercy on us.
Jesus, Lover of Chastity, have mercy on us.
Jesus, our Lover, have mercy on us .
Jesus, God of Peace, have mercy on us .
Jesus, Author of Life, have mercy on us .
Jesus, Model of Virtues, have mercy on us .
Jesus, zealous for souls, have mercy on us .
Jesus, our God, have mercy on us .
Jesus, our Refuge, have mercy on us .
Jesus, Father of the Poor, have mercy on us .
Jesus, Treasure of the Faithful, have mercy on us .
Jesus, good Shepherd, have mercy on us .
Jesus, true Light, have mercy on us .
Jesus, eternal Wisdom, have mercy on us .
Jesus, infinite Goodness, have mercy on us .
Jesus, our Way and our Life, have mercy on us .
Jesus, joy of the Angels, have mercy on us .
Jesus, King of the Patriarchs, have mercy on us .
Jesus, Master of the Apostles, have mercy on us .
Jesus, Teacher of the Evangelists, have mercy on us .
Jesus, Strength of Martyrs, have mercy on us .
Jesus, Light of Confessors, have mercy on us .
Jesus, Purity of Virgins, have mercy on us .
Jesus, Crown of all Saints, have mercy on us .

Be merciful, spare us, O Jesus!
Be merciful, graciously hear us, O Jesus!

From all evil, deliver us, O Jesus .
From all sin, deliver us, O Jesus .
From your wrath, deliver us, O Jesus .
From the snares of the devil, deliver us, O Jesus .
From the spirit of fornication, deliver us, O Jesus .
From everlasting death, deliver us, O Jesus .
From the neglect of your inspirations, deliver us, O Jesus .
Through the mystery of your holy Incarnation, deliver us, O Jesus .
Through your Nativity, deliver us, O Jesus .
Through your Infancy, deliver us, O Jesus .
Through your most divine Life, deliver us, O Jesus .
Through your Labors, deliver us, O Jesus .
Through your Agony and Passion, deliver us, O Jesus.
Through your Cross and Dereliction, deliver us, O Jesus.
Through your Sufferings, deliver us, O Jesus.
Through your Death and Burial, deliver us, O Jesus.
Through your Resurrection, deliver us, O Jesus.
Through your Ascension, deliver us, O Jesus.
Through your Institution of the Most Holy Eucharist, deliver us, O Jesus.
Through your Joys, deliver us, O Jesus.
Through your Glory, deliver us, O Jesus.

Lamb of God, who take away the sins of the world, spare us, O Jesus!
Lamb of God, who take away the sins of the world, graciously hear us, O Jesus!
Lamb of God, who take away the sins of the world, have mercy on us, O Jesus!

Jesus, hear us.
Jesus, graciously hear us.

Let us pray.

O Lord Jesus Christ, you have said, "Ask and you shall receive; seek, and you shall find; knock, and it shall be opened to you"; mercifully attend to our supplications, and grant us the grace of your most divine love, that we may love you with all our hearts, and in all our words and actions, and never cease to praise you.

Make us, O Lord, to have a perpetual fear and love of your holy name, for you never fail to govern those whom you solidly establish in your love. You, who live and reign forever and ever. R. Amen.

[quote="Timi_Celcer, post:1, topic:335005"]
I try not to do it but sometimes i just can't help it. I was used to speaking Lord's name in vain constantly but that has changed and it is really hard for me to stop completely. "thank God" is the most common. I can't stop it completely. How to stop?

[/quote]

So you have a Habit of not using God's name properly.

You have worked greatly on changing this habit.

"Thank God" can be acceptable to say.... unless you don't really mean "Thank God".

Look for information on how to change a habit.... how to change yourself to stop something that has become habit.

How much awareness do you place on listening to your spoken words? Be very aware of everything you say. You can keep a paper in your pocket or at your desk and make a tick mark every time you say God's name out of context. This awareness can help you to lessen speaking out of habit.

At the end of the day, record the number on paper. You may see an improvement each day. If you notice a day was filled with far more times, make a note about what was different that day.

You can change this habit! Ask God to walk with you as you change this bad habit.

[/quote]

First of all, considering your desires and efforts, I cannot see how "thank God" is taking the Lord's name in vain...So perhaps you are being just a tad scrupulous here....;)

Other than this...I can only suggest one thing..."Practice" "Practice"

Just keep up the good work. Keep being aware of what you re saying and developing better habits and expressions.

Peace
James

Use it often in prayer and that will help.

Confession and a good confessor’s guidance will help too.

The best way to overcome a vice is to practice the opposing virtue. In your case, the opposite of using the Lord's name in vain is to develop a strong devotion to the Holy Name.

Every time you hear someone use God's name in vain, silently pray "Most Holy Name of Jesus, I adore Thee." Every time. At first, this will take some effort. Eventually, it will become habit. I have gotten to the point where I hear God's name used in vain and it is almost painful. If I am around someone who says it a lot, I am constantly praying silently the above prayer, and eventually have to ask them to please stop when they're around me. (Actually, that has only happened once. In most cases, people realize that my husband and I don't speak that way and they don't speak that way around us.) It does help to keep good company.

Here is some reading material that might help you increase your devotion to the Holy Name.

fisheaters.com/holyname.html

Saying "Thank God" is praise to God when said at an appropiate time, as when you are actually thanking him for a blessing in your life. Try changing it to "Thank you Dear Father in Heaven," or something similar if you think you are saying it as an idle utterance or if it bothers you that much.

The idea of keeping a piece of paper and pen at hand for marking every time you use the Lord's name in a disrespectful manner is a very good one. My Dad pointed out to me when I was young that I said "you know" too much. I started making a mental note every time I said it, and pretty soon I stopped myself before saying it.

Have faith, and concentrate. Hear your mental voice before the words are spoken. It does help in keeping your tongue in check.

Bless you.

I own a cross with the face of Jesus (it is called the Holy Face Protection Cross) and on it is written:

Sit nomen domini benedictum. Vade retro satana.

I can't recall where I bought it but I wore it for quite a long time until the prayer inscribed on it became part of an automatic response to any use of His name in vain. (Especially movies, etc., where it seems no one can write a script without using His name in vain). So now I am so aware that the first thing that happens is that prayer jumps into my head and it has totally made me aware of how I use the name of God. BTW, I recently heard a priest say "Oh my God" when describing the weather and even that shocked me! You might look for this cross online, it isn't expensive.

Hope this doesn't sound too stupid. I had the same problem. I decided to fine myself one dollar everytime I took the Lords name in vain. I put the money in the collection at church. for a few weeks the priest must have thought I won the lottery . Still occasionally slip up but this got to thinking about what I was saying and caused me to pause and change to God bless or thank God.

[quote="Rdunbar123, post:10, topic:335005"]
Hope this doesn't sound too stupid. I had the same problem. I decided to fine myself one dollar everytime I took the Lords name in vain. I put the money in the collection at church. for a few weeks the priest must have thought I won the lottery . Still occasionally slip up but this got to thinking about what I was saying and caused me to pause and change to God bless or thank God.

[/quote]

That's a great idea! I'm surprised you were afraid it would sound stupid. :)

Well, obviously, you must not use the Lord's name in places where it is not called for. I don't think, however, that "thank God" constitutes a vain use of the Lord's name--if you are genuinely grateful to the Lord for something, which of course isn't generally the case when we say "thank God". A good idea, as suggested above, is to develop a respectful use of the Lord's name, for which prayers should be helpful. Other than that, simply learn how to drop bad habits (I know, easier said than done, but I am sure that there are resources out there that can help with this).

Perhaps you could keep a record of every time you think it or say it. Then apologize. Then at the end of the day, pray a decade of the rosary for every count.

[/quote]

The first thing you should do is take responsibility for it and stop saying stuff like:

sometimes i just can't help it.

We are the only person who control what comes out of our mouths. The key is to stop making excuses for ourselves when we behave badly.

As the great philosopher Yoda said:

"'Do', or 'Not Do'. There is no 'Try'"

Would it help you to substitute another word? For example I used to say Oh my ___. or thank ___ and now I say Oh my goodness. or Thank goodness. It sounds old-fashioned, but I think it’s better than taking His name in vain.

Everytime you do say His name, afterwards say,"Bless me" and maybe even the sign of the cross!

This has been something on my mind recently. Thanks for posting:)

Michael

Something that I have started to do is anytime someone else around me uses the Lord’s name in vain, I say, quietly and under my breath, “Blessed be his Holy Name.” to make reparation for the offense. That way it trains you not to say it, and it makes reparations for the offenses of others.

How about a Swear Jar. Fine yourself every time you cuss.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.