How can I strengthen my faith?

I was born a Catholic and I have recently decided that I want to start focusing more on my religion and be closer to God. Any suggestions for me? One thing is that I don’t go to church every Sunday so I know I should start by going to church every week.

Prayer and Eucharistic adoration. Also, it is good to attend RCIA as an adult.

Good question. In my experience, faith is like a muscle; it has to be exercised.

I agree with the above suggestions.

Also, read the Bible every day. I suggest starting with the Gospels (Mark is fastest and easiest to read). Try a chapter a day and see how that goes.

Find a parish which has small groups where people are growing in faith.

Rcia if you’re not already confirmed. Read the catechism of the Catholic Church. And pray the rosary.

Welcome to CAF!! This forum is a great place to learn more about the Catholic faith, but also…

Confession.
Adoration.
Pray the rosary.
Eucharist.
Repeat.

Many parishes also have programs for Catholics “coming home,” or wanting to increase their understanding of their faith. Ask at your parish office.

I’ve always struggled with my faith, but now it finally seems to be growing.

I’ve been going to mass every week, reading Catholic books, listening to Catholic radio, and watching EWTN.

I stay away from things that I feel might bring out negativity.

I can relate to what you mean about bringing out negativity. Whenever I see an atheist talk, it really gets to me, and scares me actually. It’s not that I don’t believe, but I do feel scared sometimes and I know that I need to get closer to God again.

2 important things to do to strengthen your faith:

If you want to strengthen your faith, your MUST go to Confession. Why Confession? Because it is easier to doubt and forget about God when you are living in sin. When you live in sin, you live in the Devil’s territory, and he will have more influence over you. To unchain his influence from you, you MUST be cleansed with confession. If you don’t believe me, just try it as an experiment, and watch how it is easier to grow in faith.

Also, you MUST pray daily and constantly. You must force your redirect yourself to God all the time every day. Otherwise, you will slip back into worldliness. Daily rosary is essential. If you put this off, you will never get around to praying it. Mary is vital to strengthening your relationship with Jesus.

That is all.

Exactly. But it goes the other way, too. When I hear someone who misrepresents what the
church teaches or when someone is overly zealous or and extremist, it can make me feel scared or insecure.

I was raised Mormon, so I have a very hard time trusting in God or religion, so I need to know my triggers.

Prayer, sit down and write out own prayer, your hopes and fears, your doubts and your desires. Pray every morning and every evening, and that’s a good beginning.

^^^ This! :thumbsup:

I recommend that you obey all of the commandments of God and of the Church, that you pray zealously and often (especially pray for faith and humility), that you do plenty of good pious spiritual reading, that you have a deep devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary and her Rosary, and that you meet with a traditional priest for spiritual direction. God bless you.

Get a copy of the United States Catechism of the Catholic Church for Adults. This is easier to read than the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which it does reference. It will give you good insight into what the Catholic Church teaches and why.
Remember that our Faith is simple enough to be summarized in the Apostles Creed, but like the ocean, its treasures are deep and take even in a lifetime we can never reach the depths of all it offers. There is always something to learn.
Be patient with yourself. Start with Sunday Mass. Add a little at a time, just as you would add a little at a time to physical fitness routine. Your goal is long term growth in faith.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.