How can Mary hear prayers

God can hear prayers because of his divine attributes of omnipresence and omnipotence. Since Mary is neither, how can she hear prayer?

She is very close to God, perfectly united to the Body of Christ. Jesus allows her to hear our prayers; He is the one mediator. I’m sure someone else will give you a more detailed and theological answer, but that is the gist of it I think.

Pax et bonum

Mary, like all the other Saints in heaven are not bound to space and time. So if you think that they can’t hear us, then we are just saying that those who are in heaven are still bound to the laws of the physical world. Use a little bit of common sense.

God bless,

Pio

By Christ’s Grace, Mary sees the infinite God face to face. To hear the merely finite amount of prayers from a merely finite number of people, all it takes is Christ giving her the Grace.

Just some passages that I am reminded of.

*** Can the Saints see and hear/ know what is going on on Earth ?**

Rev 6:9-10

When he broke open the fifth seal, I saw underneath the altar the souls of those who had been slaughtered because of the witness they bore to the word of God.

They cried out in a loud voice, “How long will it be, holy and true master, before you sit in judgment and avenge our blood on the inhabitants of the earth?”

*** Do the Saints offer Prayers to God ?**

[font=Times New Roman]Rev 8:3-4

Another angel came and stood at the altar, holding a gold censer. He was given a great quantity of incense to offer, along with the prayers of all the holy ones, on the gold altar that was before the throne. The smoke of the incense along with the prayers of the holy ones went up before God from the hand of the angel.

God Bless[/font]

She has big honking ears. :smiley:

[quote=doulos1]God can hear prayers because of his divine attributes of omnipresence and omnipotence. Since Mary is neither, how can she hear prayer?
[/quote]

Mary can hear our prayers in the same way that the angels do.

[quote=doulos1]God can hear prayers because of his divine attributes of omnipresence and omnipotence. Since Mary is neither, how can she hear prayer?
[/quote]

Gods peace be with you theophilus doulos1,

So who told you what gifts the Saints in heaven do and do not have? Please give me the chapter and verse in Scripture that denotes these limitations? Please tell me what preacher told you this and if he made them up or they were man made traditions passed down by protestants?

You speak from a position without support in fact or truth.

God sends the angel of the Lord down to earth to find someone so the angels must have some kind of gift? Saints in heaven have gifts we cannot imagine while here on earth. If the angels can find one person in an instant on a planet this size what makes you think siants cannot?

Please give the source of your insight and wisdom into this and share it with us hear.

I hope Blessed Mary and all the angels and saints in heaven can hear us. I hope God shares this gift and others with them and will someday share those gifts with me and you too.

PS. try reading Revelations to begin to understand the truth and you’ll find some clues to prove your position wrong.

God bless and keep posting. I hope you had a very merry Christ-mass too.

God can hear prayers because of his divine attributes of omnipresence and omnipotence. Since Mary is neither, how can she hear prayer?

I would ask an even more fundamental question: who says she has to hear all the prayers? Or even one of them for that matter? That is, if Mary merely prays “Lord, if it be your will, please grant the petitions of all who have offered prayer through me.” she does not have to have omniscience, omnipotence, or anything except the ability to pray to take care of it.

I happen to believe that it works a little more wonderfully and mysteriously than that, but it makes short work of the objection at the basic level.

Scott

if fellow saints praying for us on earth do not destroy christ role as the one mediator, neither do glorified saints preying for us in heaven. mary is the greatest saint. why wouldn’t you seek her powerful intercession?*You are all fair, O Mary,
and the original stain is not in you.
You are the glory of Jerusalem,
You are the joy of Israel,
You are the honor of our people,
You are the Advocate of sinners!
O Mary, Mary,
Virgin most pure,
Mother most merciful;
Pray for us,
Intercede for us with Our Lord Jesus Christ:) *

I always had the impression that everyone in heave could see what is going on, if they so chose. I had this impression so much, that as a child, when my grandfather dies, I felt uneasy in the bath tub because I was afraid he would see me naked (he was the first realtive who I recall dying).

lol. that’s funny. well, if you hold a towel up over the tub, you’d be ‘safe’ from the prying eyes of the saints… :wink:

The question shouldn’t be ‘Can Mary hear our prayers’ but ‘Can Mary do anything about it’? Even in scripture, prayers are answered ONLY by God Himself… saints don’t answer them, angels don’t… an nowhere in scripture does it say that Mary answers them.

So when I pray to God, if Mary hears it, oh well… when my prayer is answered, it will be answered by God Himself… God doesn’t need to be consulted or influenced.

so what about your christian friend? can he do ‘nothing about it’? can he not pray on your behalf?

[/quote]

Perhaps Mary and the saints in heaven hear our prayers the same way trees and mountains and evil spirits hear us when we address them, namely, because of our faith:
[size=2]And the Lord said, “If you had faith as a grain of mustard seed, you could say to this sycamine tree, Be rooted up, and be planted in the sea,' and it would obey you. (Luke 17:6) [size=2]And Jesus answered them, "Truly, I say to you, if you have faith and never doubt, you will not only do what has been done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain,Be taken up and cast into the sea,’ it will be done. [/size]And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.” (Matthew 21:21-22)

[/size]And this she did for many days. But Paul was annoyed, and turned and said to the spirit, “I charge you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her.” And it came out that very hour. (Acts 16:18)

Blessed Mother Mary HEARD my prayers.

At the beginning of my conversion from atheism to Catholic Christian, I did a lot of studing and reading on ALL faiths. At first, only protestant faiths. More I think, because thats mostly what I found on the internet, plus I live in the Baptist Bible Belt south.

Nothing I read really convinced me, or should I say, helped me to believe that God existed. Nothing touched my heart and soul or moved me into believing in Christianity. TILL…

I read the section in the CCC, (not aware at the time how BIG that book is). I got to part on our Blessed Mother and I just started to cry. This totally confused me. I hardly ever cry, and certainly NOT from anything I read. I fell in love with Her, and had to know more of who this woman was/is. After much reading, I finally threw caution to the wind so to speak, and asked Blessed Mary that if She was real and if Her Son was real, please show me.

Fast forward only ONE WEEK. I was signed up for RCIA at my local parish. I was received into Holy Mother Church Easter Vigil 2004. Oh, forgot to mention that this happened, June 2003.

Our Blessed Mother DOES hear our prayers, She leads all those to Her Son who truely want to know Him. She took my heart and placed it into the hands of Her Son.

Do I worship Mary?..NOPE
Do I love Mary?..U BETHCHA I DO.

It is true that Jesus is the “one mediator”. It is also true that Jesus will not refuse a request by His mother (see wedding at Cana). Remember the commandment, “honor thy mother and thy father”. Jesus honors His mother, and so wee too honor our blessed mother. Mary, full of grace, and the mother of our Lord hears our prayers and offers them to the one mediator, Jesus Christ.

Hi there,

Hebrews 12:1 points to the fact that the Saints in Heaven are our witnesses:

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.”

Because they belong to the Body of Christ, they share in Christ’s priestly intercessory role through their “royal priesthood”.

God bless,
TTM

Mary can’t hear our prayers.

The Mary of the Bible has been grossly misrepresented and changed by Catholicism into a sinless, virgin, queen of the universe, gate of heaven and refuge of sinners, who is to be trusted in for salvation and deliverance from hell. Dear reader, as kindly as it can be written, please know that **this kind of emphasis on Mary is idolatrous, as well as being contradictory and antithetical to the teachings of the Lord Jesus and his apostles. Our faith, trust and hope are to be 100% in Jesus, who is our *life *and the only *way *to heaven, according to Scripture. He *alone *can lead us to Paradise. He is the gate of heaven and refuge of sinners. Salvation hinges on us repenting from our sins and placing a trusting-submissive faith in Jesus. **
**He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. (1 John 5:12)****As sincere as you may be, you must turn away from your idolatry or you will perish:
**But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death. (Rev 21:8) ****Mary is never included with Jesus in the Scriptures as having even the slightest role in salvation. That is especially clear as shown by actual salvation sermons recorded in the Bible, which were preached by Jesus and his apostles. Please read the four gospels and the entire book of Acts and examine these original salvation sermons for yourself. GOD BLESS YOU.

[quote=oudave]Mary can’t hear our prayers.

The Mary of the Bible has been grossly misrepresented and changed by Catholicism into a sinless, virgin, queen of the universe, gate of heaven and refuge of sinners, who is to be trusted in for salvation and deliverance from hell. Dear reader, as kindly as it can be written, please know that this kind of emphasis on Mary is idolatrous, as well as being contradictory and antithetical to the teachings of the Lord Jesus and his apostles.

Wrong.

Our faith, trust and hope are to be 100% in Jesus, who is our *life *

and the only *way *to heaven, according to Scripture. He *alone *can lead us to Paradise. He is the gate of heaven and refuge of sinners. Salvation hinges on us repenting from our sins and placing a trusting-submissive faith in Jesus.
[/quote]

Right.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.