How can men relate to Mary?

Hi all,
I wanted to get some thoughts from you men out there. How can you, or do you, relate to Mary as a man? Not so much as a Catholic, but through your masculinity??
I have a podcast for Catholic men and am looking to do a cast on Mary, but would like your insights.

Its easy to say you have a devotion to her, but for most men its difficult to relate to Mary, so how do you do it, practice it, and grow that spiritual connection??

I know for me personally, prayer is not easy, especially the rosary, but I hear of these great devotions from male saints. How do we get there as men in todays busy world?

Hi, my devotion to Mary is still really starting. I think the Legion of Mary was what started me really considering having a true devotion to her, and what that means.
For me, she is the ultimate level of purity that any human has achieved, regardless of gender, and so I know that if I submit to God’s will as she did, I can be transformed in love as she is. The Immaculate Heart of Mary is a reminder to us of how a human heart can be transformed by Love. This goes above and beyond my masculinity, because the love of God that transformed Mary is above and beyond gender, and so the fact that I am male does not affect my devotion to Mary.
Whenever I am tempted by improper thoughts, I immediately focus on Mary and her purity, and then any temptations disappear.
The Rosary has come to be a beautiful prayer for me, though at times in the past I have found it tedious. Mary is my spiritual mother and thank God for her!
God bless:)

Hi mojc,

I’m a convert, but Marian devotion has always been very easy for me. I always focus on the maternal relationship more than anything. As someone who has always been very close with my own (biological) mother, the “intimacy” of the maternal relationship with our heavenly Mother just comes naturally.

I also have always found reading the visions of Fatima and La Salette kind of gives me a sense of how Mary “speaks,” which makes my own prayer feel more personal.

Hopefully that made some sense. :thumbsup:

I think of her as my spiritual mother - someone who loves me very much and who I love as I love my earthly mother. I pray the rosary daily. I have a very active professional life but find time, most afternoons, to wonder into a Church in the city to commit 30 minutes or so of prayer. It is the highlight of my day.

Blessings,

Brian

Her gender has never been a difficulty to me. Her femininity only renders her the more beautiful and delightful.

Prayer, especially the Hail Mary at odd times whenever one thinks of it during the day, is very valuable to developing deeper devotion to Mary. Prayer is necessary, and the Hail Mary is an excellent way of moving forward in prayer.

I don't have time often to pray the full Rosary, but I pray the Little Crown every day now.

I have a love for the Blessed Mother as Mother. In my deepest need she interceded for me and comforted me and led me to repentance and a deeper love of Jesus and the Church. She is the pinnacle of creation. She is the perfect human being. Perfect in her relation to God, perfect in her relation to all humanity. She is the example of all the virtues. Unsurpassed by any, but Our Lord.
When saying the rosary, I often meditate on Our Lady's perfections as they relate to her submission and peace and knowledge of God and His will. She truly is the "Gate" thru which God gives many graces.
I am sorry if I sound like too much of a fan, There was a time in my life, when influenced by certain protestant beliefs, I would go out of my way to put down the Mother of God. Since coming into a more correct understanding of her place and life, I have changed into an admirer of hers. Her chastity, and dedication to God are to be admired as well.
I know I'm not being much of a help, but there are men who love and appreciate the Blessed Mother in a manly and healthy way. I firmly believe that a proper, healthy devotion to her is benifecial to a deeper understanding of God and His will for us.

I cannot speak for others but I hope this will help.
As I do my Rosary I envision myself beside Mary walking with Jesus through his whole life. I try to imagine what she was feeling,thinking silently in her heart. How she gave her Son up for me that I a sinner not worthy of any mercy might be Saved by Jesus. She leads me to him and offers her Son, her Prayers, Her suffering all for us. She is the Mother of my Lord. How much more a perfect example of Love and obediance can you get in a human? Of coarse Jesus is the ultimate example. And he gives his Mother to us from the Cross. I know I need all the help and prayers I can get so I ask my Blessed Mother for her prayers and intercession.
And my prayers have been answered time after time when I ask the right thing. She has helped me through some tough times and Jesus has poured his grace on this unworthy sinner.
Praise be to God

Well I'll fess up.

As a convert I was thrown into Catholicism by force of circumstance. Remember Luther’s famous statement: “Here I stand, God help me, I can do no other,” is exactly right for me.

I bear witness because this is the truth as I see it, or as I want to live it. I profess faith because from this place that my body occupies, the claims of my faith make more sense than not. I acknowledge that I speak of things I do not fully understand, that I cannot demonstrate their truth even to my own satisfaction, and that many other people simply can’t affirm what I do. But what of it? Sue me if I'm wrong. Not so much a sinner's remorse as a kind of reverse joy.

As for Mary, I never got it or her and, let's face it, I've always been deeply suspicious of the opposite sex anyways -- a triumph of experience over hope. I don't get shopping, for example.

But finally this poem by Gerard Manley Hopkins was the epiphany I needed.

One of my long and tedious posts precedes it all here:

payingattentiontothesky.com/2009/07/24/gerard-manley-hopkins/

You'll find it about half way down the post. It's called The Blessed Virgin Compared To The Air We Breathe and it is perfect.

dj

my knee jerk reaction is that it is easiest for men to relate to Mary as women do, that is, as a Mother. That probably involves for many of us some healing in our relationship with our own mothers.

Hmmm…

Well, I would have to say that I value Our mother more than anything in the world other God of course. I view Our Mother Mary as the most beautiful woman God ever created with such amazing grace and one that is simply full of love. Words alone cannot decribe her just like they cannot describe God either. So when it comes to prayer, I try to pray as best as I can since I am barely coming more into the faith as I am learning more about it. Believe it or not, I am barely learning to pray the rosary. I will keep trying my best to become closer with God and Our Mother in time.

God bless,

Art321

[quote="mojc, post:1, topic:182610"]
Hi all,
I wanted to get some thoughts from you men out there. How can you, or do you, relate to Mary as a man? Not so much as a Catholic, but through your masculinity??
I have a podcast for Catholic men and am looking to do a cast on Mary, but would like your insights.

Its easy to say you have a devotion to her, but for most men its difficult to relate to Mary, so how do you do it, practice it, and grow that spiritual connection??

I know for me personally, prayer is not easy, especially the rosary, but I hear of these great devotions from male saints. How do we get there as men in todays busy world?

[/quote]

Hi
It is soooooo simple but NOT scientific or humanistic.
No loving Mary is what Jesus told us to do on the cross.

If we love our human parents that is ok, loving our brothers and sisters is ok, loving our cousins might be questionable, loving gang members is always questionable loving all regardless is extreem!
And yet it is NOT.
If we do what Jesus tells us, taking Mary as our mother and then Jesus as our brother and the Father as our Father ..or Jesus as our father , then what is ther relation with ALL people on this earth......they become NOT cousins brothers sisters gangs robbers, no, but ALL become our brothers and sisters because we have now started thinking and relating "spiritually" as Jesus wants us to. So as with Jesus and Mary being parents ALL become our spiritual family.
Easy eh we then only have to give up our human thinking and relate spiritually in LOVE of and for God's creation.
Peace
Godbless
littleone.

That works for me.

For me, Mary is my Spiritual Mother. I do have a biological Mother, whom I love very much. But my biological Mother now has Alzheimer’s, and is fading away. I depend on Mary’s mothering skills to help me get through life. And some days I have a lot to get through.

And when the time comes for Purgatory, I am fairly sure that she, like many mnothers will say, “This punishment of yours is going to hurt me more then you”…and I know she will be telling the truth.

Thanks be to God for this! :smiley:

Hi
I speak to Mary as I do to Jesus the saints and Holy spirit and Father.
Also
I bought a DVD called "Jesus through anothers eyes", and it is through the eyes of Mary as she saw felt took in and went through the loving joy, and the hurt she went through, the pain of not being able to do any thing to help in the agony, and death.
I would say these actors probably were Catholic the way it was made. it is so realistic.

Godbless
littleone

Here's a thought that I've gotten onto just very recently (ie, the last couple of weeks). Maybe this will help.

The triune God lives inside of me, just as the triune God lived inside of Mary.

What can I learn from her about being a fitting dwelling place for the Lord? She knows that road better than anyone who has ever walked the face of the earth. I've taken to asking her how to teach me how to be a fitting dwelling, and to pray for me to become one.

I really like this thought. It is lovely.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.